Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

2018+ Heritage Shock installed on Sport Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 03:49 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 466 Posts
Default 2018+ Heritage Shock installed on Sport Glide

I just wanted to post some details on my Heritage Shock swap in my Sport Glide. I got a stock Heritage shock off eBay, put my Sport Glide's remote preload adjuster on it, and installed back in the bike. The results were really good...handling, ride quality, and ground clearance.

The Heritage shock...

Shock disassembled...

I had to heat up the area around this set screw on the preload adjuster to get it loose (heated with a hot air gun...not a torch).

I removed my Sport Glide shock and disassembled it also. Here are the two shocks side-by-side...

And the two springs side-by-side...

I re-assembled the Heritage shock, but put my Sport Glide's remote preload adjuster on instead. The adjuster just slides over the shock body and the set screw keeps it from rotating. The preload adjusters on the two shocks seem identical except for the attached hydraulic actuator (remote **** vs under-the-seat ****).

Everything re-installed on the bike easy as pie. Now I need to re-assemble the original Sport Glide shock with the Heritage preload adjuster and sell it to someone who wants to lower their Heritage.

The following 5 users liked this post by HuntWhenever:
Belloc42 (03-14-2019), Cootey (03-12-2023), jpfx (03-02-2021), polbit (03-14-2019), rauchman (04-24-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 08:03 PM
Belloc42
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Hunt, great job, and great documentation, thanks! The only thing that isn't clear to me is how you remove the end piece of the shock to start with (the one opposite the preload adjuster). I see a nut on the threaded shaft, but I don't understand where that nut goes since it would seem that the threaded shaft would have to screw into the end piece. Obviously I'm missing something. Also, is it possible that the plastic **** from the Sport Glide's hydraulic actuator could just be moved over to the actuator from the Heritage (I'm sure you checked, but just in case)?

Thanks again for taking the time to document this - it's invaluable to those of us with little mechanical intuition.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:12 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Belloc42
Hunt, great job, and great documentation, thanks! The only thing that isn't clear to me is how you remove the end piece of the shock to start with (the one opposite the preload adjuster). I see a nut on the threaded shaft, but I don't understand where that nut goes since it would seem that the threaded shaft would have to screw into the end piece. Obviously I'm missing something. Also, is it possible that the plastic **** from the Sport Glide's hydraulic actuator could just be moved over to the actuator from the Heritage (I'm sure you checked, but just in case)?

Thanks again for taking the time to document this - it's invaluable to those of us with little mechanical intuition.
The shock end eyelet (circled in red) screws onto the end of the shaft (red arrow) and is held tight with the jam nut that is still on the shaft pictured. To remove, compress the spring enough to get access to the jam nut. Have the shock end eyelet in a vise. Get ahold of the jam nut with a wrench an loosen it. Then, the shock end eyelet will just screw off by hand. After that, everything just slides off the end.

As far as the preload adjuster *****, the length of the hydraulic line is slightly different, so I don't think it would reach down to the mounting location on the side of the bike.

The following 2 users liked this post by HuntWhenever:
Chillis (07-27-2021), rauchman (04-24-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:25 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
The shock end eyelet (circled in red) screws onto the end of the shaft (red arrow) and is held tight with the jam nut that is still on the shaft pictured. To remove, compress the spring enough to get access to the jam nut. Have the shock end eyelet in a vise. Get ahold of the jam nut with a wrench an loosen it. Then, the shock end eyelet will just screw off by hand. After that, everything just slides off the end.

As far as the preload adjuster *****, the length of the hydraulic line is slightly different, so I don't think it would reach down to the mounting location on the side of the bike.
Ah, ok, that makes sense. When you install it, how do you make sure the two eyelets line up perfectly without it being in place? Would you keep the spring compressed, install it, then tighten the jam nut with the shock on the bike?

Old 03-14-2019, 09:54 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Belloc42
Ah, ok, that makes sense. When you install it, how do you make sure the two eyelets line up perfectly without it being in place? Would you keep the spring compressed, install it, then tighten the jam nut with the shock on the bike?
The shock's shaft can rotate (although it takes some umph once the spring is against the shims), so I got them close as I released spring tension, then lined them up better using the vice and a large crescent wrench. I got them close enough to get back in the bike, and the bolts finished up the rest. Not sure if this is proper procedure, but it has worked for me.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:29 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
The shock's shaft can rotate (although it takes some umph once the spring is against the shims), so I got them close as I released spring tension, then lined them up better using the vice and a large crescent wrench. I got them close enough to get back in the bike, and the bolts finished up the rest. Not sure if this is proper procedure, but it has worked for me.
Got it. Thanks a ton, man!

Old 03-24-2019, 05:21 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Got that Heritage Classic rear shock with the intention of putting on my Sport Glide, but decided to leave as is, so I put it up on the classifieds for what I paid for it if anyone else wants to make the swap:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/stock...ear-shock.html

Old 10-31-2019, 12:31 PM
VernDiesel
Road Captain
Received 319 Likes on 226 Posts

I see the pics but by chance did you take any measurements? Would this raise the ride or seat height 3/16th, 1/2", somewhere in between? Lol best guesstimate?

Old 10-31-2019, 02:02 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by VernDiesel
I see the pics but by chance did you take any measurements? Would this raise the ride or seat height 3/16th, 1/2", somewhere in between? Lol best guesstimate?
The shock was 1/2" longer, which should give you an extra inch of wheel travel.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:16 PM
VernDiesel
Road Captain
Received 319 Likes on 226 Posts

Okay thanks for that. I would assume this would also raise the back of the bike and or seat height perhaps up to 1/2"?

Quick Reply: 2018+ Heritage Shock installed on Sport Glide