Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

changing front brake pads??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 07:59 PM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default changing front brake pads??

do i just remove my front brake caliper to change the pads? also i have only gotten 14000 miles out of the pads, is this normal pad life?

Old 11-19-2007, 02:48 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts
Default RE: changing front brake pads??

Yea. 15K+/- miles is about normal. The pads can be changed without removing the caliper but it's just as easy to remove it to do the replacement. Before removing the caliper, remove the cover from the front master cylinder. Using a wide blade screw driver, gently pry between the brake pads and rotor on both sides to push the pads and pistons back.

Tip: if you don't have it, get the "Fix My Hog" DVD (Sportster Edition). It's well worth the $45 and walks you through most of all the service procedures. www.fixmyhog.com

Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 PM
arcticblast
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, wait a second. There is no reason to open the master cylinder. The fluid in the caliper will go back to the master cylinder when you push the pistons back in. If you open the master cylinder and push the pistons back in the calipers, you risk splashing brake fluid on your paint. Not sure about a Sporty but on the other HD's the pads are different(inside / outside) so make sure you take note of it.Make sure that you break the two small bolts loose first before removing the caliper. (just easier while still on the bike). After you remove the caliper, spray it with brake-kleen before you do anything else and then use your old pads to push against toretract the pistons. Also, you'll need to push the pads toward the smallretaining bolts to remove the retaining bolts. You'll notice the pads have a little tension on them. The wholeprocessis rather easy and can be done in about 20 minutes or less.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:54 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

The front master cylinder is sealed (air tight). Removing the cover allows the fluid to back up into the master cylinder. Just push the pads back slowly & gently so as not to overflow the master cylinder. This procedure is per the HD Service Manual.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:26 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

pump the brake several times before starting off down the driveway...the pads need to set/ pistons need to move out before you will be able to stop..when the brake lever is hard you should be good to go...about three or four pumps of the lever..

Old 11-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

sportster2007: Do yourself a BIG favor and buy the HD Service Manual. The internet is great for information, but why not get it straight from the horse's mouth? For example, the brake pads are probably held in place by threaded pins that are removed with a 1/4" twelve point socket/wrench. It's much easier to loosen those pins while the caliper is on the bike since those pins are torqued pretty tight. I didn't see that mentioned in the posts reponding to your question.

Also, the pads have an orientation front to back, etc.

It's a simple job with good and complete directions. Get the manual, read it, and come back to ask if there are better procedures, anything not mentioned in the manual, etc. JMHO.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:30 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If removing the top of the master cylinder, cover the tank with a thick towel or blanket as soem brake fluid will eat right through the paint.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:17 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever chaging brake pads on any vehicle, you need to resurface the rotor. During use, pad material is deposited on the rotor. That old pad material can interfer with proper bedding of the new pads. I use 130 grit sand paper disc in a drill motor. Try to create an even shiny surface on both sides of the rotor.

Follow the instructions that come with the pad for proper bedding.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:26 AM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never removed the m/c cover to change brake pads on any car or bike that I have ever worked on. You're just begging for a spill, leak or getting dirt in the fluid. Work smarter, not harder.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:03 AM
amike
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fxstcguy98

I have never removed the m/c cover to change brake pads on any car or bike that I have ever worked on. You're just begging for a spill, leak or getting dirt in the fluid. Work smarter, not harder.
As mentioned above, with the master cyd top on, it is a sealed system and you are attempting to compress a liquid. You're very lucky you don't have seals leaking.

Quick Reply: changing front brake pads??