Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Ohlins shocks for nightster

Old 11-16-2008, 08:31 PM
DarrenLMP3
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohlins shocks for nightster

Ive been doing alot of searching on this site on shocks. I see most popular are progressive shocks. I was interested in a set of ohlins shocks. Anybody have a set of them? I just want to replace the shock and not change any seat hieght. I definetly dont want the bike higher. What should i be looking for in the ohlins specs to decide which shock is best for me? They are listing shocks for a nightster. Thanks!!

Old 11-16-2008, 08:57 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Ohlins

First of all you need to look at what length you want them (Ohlins). Next is what model you want and what options you want with it. This is very important to know. We are an Ohlins Service Center in Florida so there is a whole lot to know about deciding what Ohlins shock you want.

I believe that the Ohlins shock you are looking at is an emulsified, non adjustable externally except for spring tension (preload). The valving should be set for your weight, passenger weight, and riding style. This determines what valving, shim stack, and spring rate is right for you. The length is set in millimeters. Do an on-line conversion.

As far as a listing as a "nightster", that is very broad. Like saying you want a woman, think mail order bride in the 1700's, you man not like what you get so it is necessary to have them made for your application. I believe the pricing is $600/pair. There is no comparison between these (Ohlins) and Progressive or Works. We do not do too many Sportster's but one member who did a write up on our work, did put a set on his wife's bike. They live in Italy. It is cheaper for the Europeans to purchase from the USA than local. Weird about the Dollar exchange and governments.

PS she loves them but she now wants her husbands Dyna, go figure!

Last edited by FastHarley; 11-16-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:38 PM
DarrenLMP3
Novice

Thanks for the great reply!

So is it safe to take the length of the stock shocks and just get the same length in ohlins?
My weight is 160. I really dont take the wife or kid for rides much, but sometimes i do. I figured Ohlins would have the most adjustability. wife is 160 and kid is 120.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:38 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default Adjustability

You did not include what exact shock model so I can tell you what is your options.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:09 PM
DarrenLMP3
Novice

http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Hid...0/Default.aspx

This link list all the ohlins shocks available for a sportster.

So i was thinking the S36PL because you can adjust the length of the shock.

Or this one just cause it looks cool!!! S36PR1C1LB
So what do ya think?

Old 11-17-2008, 04:11 PM
DarrenLMP3
Novice

Recommendation list
Here is a list of products that is available for your vehicle. You can find information about the products and download mounting instructions and spare parts list if available. For further information, please contact your local distributor.

Your shock absorber could look different from the one pictured. The reservoir may be angled to fit your vehicle and a horizontal reservoir is used on some models.

Part no: HD 141
Type: S36PL
Stroke: 98mm
Documents: Mounting instructions

Part no: HD 142
Type: S36PL
Stroke: 100mm

Part no: HD 143
Type: S36PR1C1LB
Stroke: 95mm

Part no: HD 144
Stroke: 101mm

Part no: HD 145E
Type: S36E
Length: 296mm
Stroke: 71mm

Part no: HD 146
Length: 360,5mm
Stroke: 105mm

Part no: HD 244
Stroke: 101mm

Part no: HD 645

Part no: HD 716
Length: 337mm
Stroke: 104mm

Part no: HD 745

Part no: HD 916E
Length: 337mm
Stroke: 104mm

Old 11-17-2008, 09:16 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default shocks

Originally Posted by DarrenLMP3
http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Hid...0/Default.aspx

This link list all the ohlins shocks available for a sportster.

So i was thinking the S36PL because you can adjust the length of the shock.

Or this one just cause it looks cool!!! S36PR1C1LB
So what do ya think?
You should buy these shocks because you know what they will do for you and the last thing that you should think about is buying a shock of this caliper because it looks cool.

S36PL: These are ride height adjusters (around ½’) which is an eyelet with a shaft and a checknut. It has a piggyback with a separator piston which is better when you are doing the twisties. This prevents the oil/nitrogen from mixing (emulsified) and frothing (like a milk shake). There is no external valving adjustments on this model.

I do not know if these are available for your bike as Ohlins sells their product already in a box. If you want them for any other application other than what it was intended for you must pay for re-valving. I can get you a price and look into this model if you like. Just call me toll free.

I just ordered a set of S36PR1C1LB for Jay Risk this morning. He chose the 340mm (13” aprox.) type. I will install them on my Dyna and run them around to check the settings before sending them to him. If you would like a photo, give me an e-Mail. They are $1,460/pair.

If you look at my bike on the welcome page of my web site you will see a set of Penskes with piggybacks and double clickers with ride height adjusters. The Penske’s cost me $1,800 + and well worth it.

Go to my touring page near the bottom and open the manual for Penske’s, they are very similar. See what is inside of them. For my FXR with a wet weight of less than 500 lbs, I choose a set of 13 ½” double clickers. Look around my site and read what is inside of good shocks.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:55 PM
DarrenLMP3
Novice

i will check it out now

Old 12-08-2008, 07:58 AM
ste71
6th Gear

I came across this thread incidentally, sorry for replying this late. I don't read the forum so much.

Darren
the Italian couple FastHarley was talking about is me and my wife.
I could not stand anymore my wife complaining about how uncomfortable her Sportster 1200 Low was, and any time we had a trip out she wanted to stop too often. So I decided to have a set of Ohlins shocks installed on her bike. I did not search for other brands or models, Ohlins are considered very good so I went straight to what I considered to be "the top". At the same time, at the bike shop a set of new springs and oil was installed in the fork (HyperPro brand, they're built in the Netherlands).
First day out, wife was impressed! And frankly speaking, I was too. Comfort, performance and safety had greatly improved in one single shot.
BTW, she has the emulsified type (no oil reservoir), 296 mm long (same length as the stock shocks on the 1200L). Only spring preload can be adjusted, but they work fine.
I then decided to upgrade shocks on my Dyna and Road King as well and started searching for even better shocks. I came across FastHarley's site and contacted him. I ended up with a set for the Dyna and one set for the Road King. I had a great support from FastHarley, and now both bikes are a real fun to ride. Certainly well beyond my expectations! These shocks have preload and sweep adjust, and this makes a difference.
The only problem is my wife really loves riding my Dyna now, and her Sportster is rarely used.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:10 AM
softail4life
Stage II
Post Ohlins rear shocks for a 2009 Nightster "Is it possible"

I Everybody I'll check for rear shocks for my girlfriend 2009 nightster and ... this bike have not a lot of option for parts. The stock shocks are just there for... a metal plate with a hole on both side while be easier for HD. Now is it possible to put Ohlins on and keep the eight of the bike the same with 160 Pds solo rider. On ohlins website it's stop at 2006 why? is the bushing change size or is't just the lenght of the shocks or else. Could someone help me with this because see love the bike so much and not want to change at all 'everybody' Love that bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ohlins shocks for nightster