Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Chrome Switch Housing and Chrome Switch installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:10 PM
cannejos
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Chrome Switch Housing and Chrome Switch installation

I am trying to install both a chrome housing and switches for a 2007 Road King Classic. Are there any trick to move along or pitfalls to avoid. I am aware of the need to install an insert to protect the brake parts. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cannejos
I am trying to install both a chrome housing and switches for a 2007 Road King Classic. Are there any trick to move along or pitfalls to avoid. I am aware of the need to install an insert to protect the brake parts. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Just did my clutch side today- 02 Road King w/ Cruise Control. Its not hard, but TAKE YOUR TIME. You need to remove a little internal C clip to get the control lever pin and clutch lever out. Split the halves. Three screws on the inside of my CLutch side controls (one under/ near the tie wrap, one in the rear od the housing and one up front near the buttons thats buried deep). Take a picture(s), draw a picture or otherwise catalog the position/ routing of the wires and tie wrap- this will save you a bundle of time later.

Each of the switches on the top of the housing (high beam and horn) have a pivot that the cap snaps onto. One side of the switch pivot is "splined" (see photo), the other side is round. The splined side of the switch pivot pin has a little line on it, that lines up with a little line on the switch cap (if there is no line on the cap, the pivot line will be centered with the switch cap). The lines have to line up- if there is no line on the switch, scribe one.

NOTE the alignment of the line on the splined side with the switch BEFORE you take the switch off. Line the spline and line up with the new cap. Before you take off the high/low cap, NOTE whether it is switched to high or low position. It will help when you put on the new cap.

If you have cruise, the lamp assembly on the bottom of the housing is 3 pieces: 1) lamp, 2) top plastic half, 3) bottom plastic half. The bottom half is the piece that has the LENS- it comes out the front. On my install, you have to separate the top half from the bottom halve so you can take the LENS out from the front. The top half has 2 little square "holes". Poke a toothpicks into each of the square holes, and the top and bottom should separate.

Take a picture if you need, and catalog the wires that do and dont go through the tie wrap BEFORE you cut 9did I say that TWICE?).

Note the groves and bosses inside the chrome housings as you remove things, and keep the drawings that came with your cap set handy and you'll be fine.

It seemed as if I was going to break the tab off the switch as I tried to slide it onto the pivot pins- but I got pretty rough and it just snapped on with no problem.

Its not hard but was a bit of a challenge because its a really old school design. If you have mechanical aptitude it won’t be too hard BUT YOU BETTER NOTE HOW THE WIRES ARE ROUTED.

Hope this makes at least a little sense...

Attached Thumbnails Chrome Switch Housing and Chrome Switch installation-rk-lower-swap-068-compress.jpg  

Last edited by Kbore; 01-25-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Three screws