Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

'08 FLHTCU pulls to the left

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:49 AM
lakerats
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 FLHTCU pulls to the left

Apologies to the forum up front as I know this has been addressed previously - but - my model was not the subject. So here it is again:

'08 Ultra Classic (June 25, 2008) 15,500 miles
SC slip-ons, Stage 1 air, Race tune, dyno'ed
Windshield cut down 1", H-D Highway pegs
New tires, New brake pads F/R
All routine maintenance checkups are current/up-to-date

From day one this bike has had a left roll-off problem. Originally addressed by my H-D dealership at the 500 mile checkup in July 2008. Since then the bike has been in the shop four more times for the same issue.

Complaint: I must maintain about a half-to-one-pound pressure on the right grip (or pull on the left) in order to counter a tendency of the bike to roll/drift to the left. This problem occurs at any speed, on any road surface and at any location on the road, e.g. right, left, or center of either the right or left lane. The crown of the road has no impact on this problem. Typical scenario (2 or 4-lane roadway): driving straight, 30mph, cruise control engaged. I lift my hands about 1/2" off the grips and the bike starts a slow roll to the left and becomes progressively tighter. Another way to look at it: same conditions (any speed 30 through 80) - I take my left hand off the grip and I must continuously push against the right handlebar (grip) to counter the movement. The roll rate is consistent at any speed. The roll is so pronounced that the only way to get the bike to travel straight is to hang my right butt cheek of my butt cheek off the seat!

Over the past four times in the shop for this issue I have been told that the condition is normal or the dealership has claimed they re-aligned the bike and on the test drive could not replicate the roll-off...that the bike drove "straight as an arrow" when the mechanic drove it.

At wit's end I began to doubt my driving skills, habits & sanity. This morning a friend of mine followed me while I replicated the problem - he witnessed what I have been experiencing. We then swapped bikes and he experienced the same roll. I lifted my hands from the grips on his bike and his bike (also an Ultra) drove straight and true. So I am NOT CRAZY!!

I know that my dealership is getting close to throwing their hands up on this issue. So....before I take it to the next level....I wanted to check with some of the learned and wise visitors to this forum to see if anyone else is or has experienced a similar problem and what you did about it. Did your mechanic find a solution?

Please don't tell me to find another dealership as the one I use is the closest and is 40 miles away - one way. Although my confidence in their honesty and mechanical aptitude is just about shot...there's got to be something that they are missing here.

At wit's end,

Clif
Spicewood, TX

Old 07-09-2009, 05:18 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lakerats
Apologies to the forum up front as I know this has been addressed previously - but - my model was not the subject. So here it is again:

'08 Ultra Classic (June 25, 2008) 15,500 miles
SC slip-ons, Stage 1 air, Race tune, dyno'ed
Windshield cut down 1", H-D Highway pegs
New tires, New brake pads F/R
All routine maintenance checkups are current/up-to-date

From day one this bike has had a left roll-off problem. Originally addressed by my H-D dealership at the 500 mile checkup in July 2008. Since then the bike has been in the shop four more times for the same issue.

Complaint: I must maintain about a half-to-one-pound pressure on the right grip (or pull on the left) in order to counter a tendency of the bike to roll/drift to the left. This problem occurs at any speed, on any road surface and at any location on the road, e.g. right, left, or center of either the right or left lane. The crown of the road has no impact on this problem. Typical scenario (2 or 4-lane roadway): driving straight, 30mph, cruise control engaged. I lift my hands about 1/2" off the grips and the bike starts a slow roll to the left and becomes progressively tighter. Another way to look at it: same conditions (any speed 30 through 80) - I take my left hand off the grip and I must continuously push against the right handlebar (grip) to counter the movement. The roll rate is consistent at any speed. The roll is so pronounced that the only way to get the bike to travel straight is to hang my right butt cheek of my butt cheek off the seat!

Over the past four times in the shop for this issue I have been told that the condition is normal or the dealership has claimed they re-aligned the bike and on the test drive could not replicate the roll-off...that the bike drove "straight as an arrow" when the mechanic drove it.

At wit's end I began to doubt my driving skills, habits & sanity. This morning a friend of mine followed me while I replicated the problem - he witnessed what I have been experiencing. We then swapped bikes and he experienced the same roll. I lifted my hands from the grips on his bike and his bike (also an Ultra) drove straight and true. So I am NOT CRAZY!!

I know that my dealership is getting close to throwing their hands up on this issue. So....before I take it to the next level....I wanted to check with some of the learned and wise visitors to this forum to see if anyone else is or has experienced a similar problem and what you did about it. Did your mechanic find a solution?

Please don't tell me to find another dealership as the one I use is the closest and is 40 miles away - one way. Although my confidence in their honesty and mechanical aptitude is just about shot...there's got to be something that they are missing here.

At wit's end,

Clif
Spicewood, TX
Get out the long straight edges and tape measures and compare wheel offsets, both rear and front and rear wheel alignment with your buddies. Dig deep enough you may find a difference and the cause.
Ron

Old 07-09-2009, 08:48 PM
ranman469
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 09 ultra pulled just a bit. i re routed the clutch cable behind the frame when i installed my oil cooler. now the bike goes straight.

i had the bike on the jack before i moved the cable and the wheel did not stay straight. when i moved the cable ot took some pressure off and now when on the jack the wheel falls back to the center