Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Road king front brake squeal........

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 02:55 AM
Iron Horse
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road king front brake squeal........

Since I bought the bike It has had a very nerve-racking squeal from the front dual disk brake set up, being born with a wrench in hand I will tackel this problem. I applied my mechanical/Automotive knowledge to the problem . First I removed the pads and scuffed up the surface to remove any hard spots also using a 3m medium pad on a air grinder to rough up the surface on the rotors ,sort of a non- directional finish .That worked for about 6 stops then slowly came back. Then I removed the pads and champhered the leading edge at a 45 degree angle to remove the sharp edge ,this sharp edge sometimes make the rotors (sing),Also I tried blue goo (Anti-brake squeal liquid) .The worked for about 20 or so stops. Next I tried to cut 2 groves 1/8" deep and 1/2" from the center to split up the contact surface of the pad .That didn't do any thing in this situation(but it dose work on cars and trucks) . Moving on ,Next I figured it must be the brake material . I researched to see what was offered for my ride.
To Be continued

Old 06-21-2005, 10:03 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Road king front brake squeal........

Want to get rid of the noise???

Contact paul JR or Sr here http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/home.htm These guys are TOPPS! Hands down.

Guarranteed, mention of VTT may get you 10%

Old 06-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Iron Horse
Novice

Ok, Page 2

So where was I , I searched the pads avaliable and decided to go with Lyndall Racing Brakes Gold Brake Pads Dennis Kirk Part Number: H190031 ,"Do Not get these pad if you are trying to get rid of the squeal ".The didn't work @ $58.00 + $6.00 for shipping and to make it worse .I ordered these from Dennis Kirk and they didn't say I had to order 2 sets . So I recieved one set and had to reorder the other set and wait for it to arive . Very expensive front brakes if you ask me .I was for a good purpose so I put my mind at ease .I followed the break in procedure for them and the squeal went away for a day or 2 and then came back. Ok now to get down and dirty. I verbaly threatened the bike to stop squealing with a chop saw running and in hand ,Still nothing. ok, back to the experiment . I talked to a friend of mine at work that swayed me twards buying a road king . he is part owner of a harley shop in PA (Humber Motorcycles)so I thought he could help . Boy did he, now he has a 03' RC classic and he did a rim swap when he saw my customs rims they have the chrome and slots in them.He had spoked rim and put on the new custom rims and guess what ! He started to get brake squeal .He told me in 2 years he never heard any squealing . he didn't change the pads or the calipers only the rims .So this leads me to a conclusion that the rim is the problem. So I examined the rim an think that the mounting hub or the bolts are not wide enough to properly clamp the rotor to prevent the harmonics for happining . I made custom spacers/ washers from 1" 316 SS they are .312 at the bottom to fill the hole where the bolt use to go and 1" at the top to clamp a larger portion of the rotor to (hopefully ) stop the harmonics(squealing) .I am installing these right after this post so I wil up date you soon. (By the way Don't try this at home : )

Old 06-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Iron Horse
Novice

Page 3,

Ok I installed the spacers and it eliminated the squeal completely( For now), it went from squealing from light to heavy braking all thru the stop right till you put your foot down. Now it dosn't make a sound. I will keep you updated on this .

Old 06-22-2005, 12:54 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

My RK ('05) squeeked for the first 3500 miles and has not squeeked since and now at 4200.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:06 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts

Iron Horse

Paul Sr and Jr at LRB are stand up guys, if you have a problem with their product, by all means call them , they will most definately give you satisvaction or a refund.

Here's something from their web page

More Stopping Power

Longer Lasting

Rotor Friendly

Won't Squeak

Won't Fade

MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
To be the best brake pad available

Don't see this with too many products.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:31 AM
Iron Horse
Novice

Day 2 ,Took a 2 hour drive and not a sound, Crossing my fingers.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:13 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

Sounds like you'll have a neat business making spacers if they continue to work! Put me down for a set if you do! :-)

Old 06-23-2005, 02:14 PM
Iron Horse
Novice

Day 3 ,Took a extreme braking run down the hills of alantic highlands . they passed with no sounds from the brakes.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:26 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Iron Horse,

That's very interesting, and it makes sense that the shoes may have been dragging from a slightly loose caliper. I will log that one in the memory bank. Good catch and fix. I'm going to guess you don't have full floating disc's.

John TN

Quick Reply: Road king front brake squeal........