Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Rikor Intiminator Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 08:50 PM
wam6187
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rikor Intiminator Question

I installed these last year. When I installed them I also changed the fork springs to the ones recommended by Rikor. Everything is set to stock height. The first year I had a bad fork leak so I tore them apart over the winter (Prior to the Intiminiators I had no leaks) Come to find out, the person that gave me the fluid specs had 1" too much fluid in them. Fast forward to this year, I rebuilt everything and set the correct fluid level. Unfortunately the forks are leaking again. Has anyone experienced this before with Intiminators?

Old 05-04-2016, 03:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I don't believe it's anything to do with your Intiminators. It is very easy to damage seals when installing them, also the slightest damage to the tubes can cause problems. As for fluid specs, they should either be as per Intiminator's instructions, or per the factory service manual.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:01 PM
wam6187
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I finally figured out what was wrong with my forks. The seals were installed upside down. DOH! I just put them back on (with the seal installed correctly) and went for a nice long ride. No leaks and what an amazing difference in the handling and ride. I highly recommend the Intiminators. It boggles my mind why Harley doesn't spend a little extra money and improve their suspension.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wam6187
I highly recommend the Intiminators. It boggles my mind why Harley doesn't spend a little extra money and improve their suspension.
Couldn't agree more! CVO bikes should come with the best suspension available, bar none. Well done for sorting out your seals!

Old 06-01-2016, 07:38 PM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Couldn't agree more! CVO bikes should come with the best suspension available, bar none. Well done for sorting out your seals!
What do you think a set of $12000 forks and a $5000 shock would do to the already inflated price for the CVO models?

I do agree though. They should have better suspension. At the very least modern inverted adjustable cartridge forks.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by union53
What do you think a set of $12000 forks and a $5000 shock would do to the already inflated price for the CVO models?

I do agree though. They should have better suspension. At the very least modern inverted adjustable cartridge forks.
You need to tell us where you get those prices and what brand! A set of fully adjustable 30mm fork cartridges and shocks from Ohlins retails at a total of around $3,500. If the MoCo bought them by the truck-load, they should not add much to the cost of a new CVO. Any extra could be offset by changing the priority of the custom stuff included, so give us a nil cost increase. Win-win!

Inverted forks may cost a good deal more, I must admit, but the MoCo has made the XR1200 and latest Roadster with them, so they know how to do it.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:38 PM
union53
Road Captain

You need to tell us where you get those prices and what brand! A set of fully adjustable 30mm fork cartridges and shocks from Ohlins retails at a total of around $3,500. If the MoCo bought them by the truck-load, they should not add much to the cost of a new CVO. Any extra could be offset by changing the priority of the custom stuff included, so give us a nil cost increase. Win-win!

Inverted forks may cost a good deal more, I must admit, but the MoCo has made the XR1200 and latest Roadster with them, so they know how to do it.
The $12000 forks are a set of Ohlins FGR 300 which are gas charged forks. Here is a retail listing. http://www.oppracing.com/product_dis...forks-fgr-300/ Almost 13k. I've held a set of an older generation in my hands. At that point the were 8000 a side. Those are "the best" available. Its all subjective though. For me since I've worked in a suspension shop its all about rider feel and confidence not "the best" available.

Basic inverted forks wouldn't cost anymore. The metric manufactures have been using them for years and they manage to sell a bike with more performance and lower cost then what Harley does. I think I paid $7500 for the R6 I raced. I know it's not the same but for what we get in a Harley the prices are high.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:12 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Both my Buells have had upside down forks, although I'm not sure what brand they are. Motorcycle Metal sells an Ohlins FG conversion for some Harley models, so they are available for around $5k, a bit cheaper than $13k!

Old 06-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

This is like throwing deck chairs off the Titanic. You want performance suspension? Buy a GSXR.

I pride myself on being able to hustle a big, heavy, wollowing, Harley thru the corners. The best upgrade you can make to any motorcycle is learning how to ride it

Old 06-02-2016, 04:22 PM
union53
Road Captain

Both my Buells have had upside down forks, although I'm not sure what brand they are. Motorcycle Metal sells an Ohlins FG conversion for some Harley models, so they are available for around $5k, a bit cheaper than $13k!
Your buell probably had showa suspension. Thats what harley uses. What motorcycle metal sells is a the FG kit which is not the same as the FGR fork. Its very different. For us mortals though it is more then sufficient. Personally I'd love to have a front end from Howard on my bike. I just can't afford it.

Quick Reply: Rikor Intiminator Question