Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Sportster Superlow 883 2012 Fork extention

Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 PM
smajorhorse
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster Superlow 883 2012 Fork extention

Hiya guys, I need some advice here and I'm sure someone has the right answer.
Just bought a new Superlow 883 and its great except that its too low at the front. I need to increase the ground clearance by an inch or so at the front end ONLY! I'd like to keep the stock forks if possible. I am happy with the rear end of the bike. Any ideas folks?

I was reading about these triple tree things but I don't think they'll do the trick. I was thinking something about some sort of an adapter/extention on the top of the of the tree. I was also thinking about replacing the front tyre/rubber but keep the same stock rim.

Any suggestions are welcome as I can't stand the bottom scrapping on these sleeping policemen any longer.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

This is pretty easy and I have done it to mine. The forks sag too much, because they have soft springs. I replaced them with Race Tech springs and set the sag right, which lifted the front about an inch. I also used longer shocks, so the rear is higher as well.

Go to Race Tech's website, where they have a calculator, so you can order the correct spring rate for you and your weight. Buy and fit!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:15 AM
smajorhorse
4th Gear

Hiya grbrown, Thanks for the advice, I'll see about your suggestion and many thanks for the advice. Yet I would like to keep the rear ground clearance as it is, LOW. I believe and I hope I am correct, that by lifting the front a bit, there will be no more scrapping the bottom.
I will update on the results.
Thanks again

Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You achieve two things for the price of one! Raised suspension gives better ground clearance, but you also get more fork travel, when hitting bumps.

If you haven't done so yet, remove those spikes in the footrests. They just screw out with a spanner. That stops them grounding, also saves scraping your legs on them!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:14 PM
smajorhorse
4th Gear

Well, those footrest spikes are noproblem at all. They are forward control type. The grounding is right at the very bottom of the bike. It's like a part of the chassis is being scraped as the paintwork has been rubbed off. That is the reason why I only want the FRONT part to be raised a bit. The rear section is absolutly no problem.

I was thinking about changing the front Michelin Rubber to a normal high profil type, but I fear that the rim might not be safe enough to house ... a "bridgestone", for example/sake of the arguement. That should do the trick quite easily and cheaply, if it could be done.

You see, I am a pensioner, living in Colombia and I simply want to travel all around as much as possible. Sometimes I ride 10 hours a day, stopping only for fuel, food and a coffee, two up and loads of lugguage. Thats the reason why I fear changing the front Michelin.
Thanks again buddy
Awaiting more suggestions

Old 06-01-2016, 09:58 PM
spookyboo
6th Gear

just wondering what solution you found....I have the same problem with the front of the frame hitting bumps