Fuel Moto / Jackpot Mufflers USA's leader in EFI tuning and exhaust systems.

Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 06:04 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts
Default Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3

Vance & Hines states that the Fuelpak FP3 is "Best selling ECU tuner for Harley Davidson Motorcycles." That being said, many on this forum have not recommended the FP3 because it couldn't or wouldn't be used by tuners for dyno tuning. Now, that's changed with the recent introduction of Fuelpak Pro. Being that you guys are in the business of tuning motorcycles, do you now tune with the FP3 or have you considered offering that option for owners of the FP3? If not, why not? Thanks.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:36 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

A short answer is while we sell FP3 we do not tune with FP3 on the dyno. For a full explanation you can contact me at 920-423-3309

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 04-11-2019, 09:54 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

i installed it on my bike, noticed a big difference right away with the idle, how hot it ran and it stopped backfiring. Use to sound like a popcorn popper going down hills, not anymore. Thing runs like a top. No complaints from me.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:59 AM
Slowpoke62
Cruiser
Received 156 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by saltlick
i installed it on my bike, noticed a big difference right away with the idle, how hot it ran and it stopped backfiring. Use to sound like a popcorn popper going down hills, not anymore. Thing runs like a top. No complaints from me.
Same here. I imagine the reason that tuners don't like it is because with the FP3 you don't need tuners. I love mine.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:30 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowpoke62
Same here. I imagine the reason that tuners don't like it is because with the FP3 you don't need tuners. I love mine.
It's not that at all. Its related to the fact FP3 is app & cloud based, it does not integrate into any of the 3rd party tuning applications or with the Dynojet chassis dyno that 99% of professional tuning shops use. It's like taking your car to a mechanic and telling him he can't use his tools, equipment, or applications he developed over years of experience. The flip side is the FP3 does work well for a lot of riders as several have noted above however there is a huge difference between tuning a stage 1 type bike with exhaust/intake vs tuning a big bore combination with open exhaust, large injectors, etc.. The best advice I can give is to use the product the individual doing the tuning feels most comfortable using, the product you can get the best support on, and the product that has all of the features you need for the application you are tuning.

The following 2 users liked this post by fuelmoto:
betho61 (05-17-2020), HotRod917 (07-03-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 11:52 AM
Slowpoke62
Cruiser
Received 156 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
It's not that at all. Its related to the fact FP3 is app & cloud based, it does not integrate into any of the 3rd party tuning applications or with the Dynojet chassis dyno that 99% of professional tuning shops use. It's like taking your car to a mechanic and telling him he can't use his tools, equipment, or applications he developed over years of experience. The flip side is the FP3 does work well for a lot of riders as several have noted above however there is a huge difference between tuning a stage 1 type bike with exhaust/intake vs tuning a big bore combination with open exhaust, large injectors, etc.. The best advice I can give is to use the product the individual doing the tuning feels most comfortable using, the product you can get the best support on, and the product that has all of the features you need for the application you are tuning.
You do have a point. For the folks that go for the big bore and race applications, there are too many different combinations to be able to put it in a comprehensive tuner. I would suggest that the FP3 works for the vast majority of us who don't want to go high horsepower other than stock. For the intake and exhaust changes, the FP3 works just fine.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:23 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
V&H wasted their time and money developing a tuning system that 99% of tuning shops can't use because it doesn't integrate with the Dynojet chassis? I thought V&H was smarter than that, but I guess not. Hmm...

So, this statement on their website is just downright untrue?

The next evolution of Fuelpak will give you the tools you need to map any combination of performance parts and engine upgrades.

Maybe I'm missing something about what the Fuelpak Pro system is exactly. Has V&H reached out to your shop about this system or have you reached out to them? Is this system even designed to integrate with the Dynojet chassis? I'm thinking not because I just can't wrap my brain around why V&H would design and implement a tuning system that won't integrate with the most important tool used for dyno-tuning. There seems to be a disconnect between V&H and you guys about what this system actually does and does not do, and how to integrate it into your existing dyno-tuning hardware and software.

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 04-14-2019 at 10:04 AM.