Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Your Thoughts on this Shirt??? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1000114-your-thoughts-on-this-shirt.html)

Roadghost 09-21-2014 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Smokey11 (Post 13238702)
Don't forget Canadians (war of 1812), hell we burned your white house down, Seriously, I wonder what the shirt from Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, or for that matter Iran would look like. The U.S. isn't the only country in the world. Its their country and they can put what ever the hell they want on it. Get over it dude and move on.

I suggest HD marketing might be behind the t-shirt, trying to sell a few bikes in China. But...to me the irony of an Eagle spreading its wings (an almost universal symbol of freedom) is just a bit too much in an oppressive communist state like China.

wg103 09-21-2014 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by adm (Post 13238694)
Why "wow" ? Have you ever been to China?

Here's an interesting read for you:

http://content.time.com/time/world/a...043235,00.html

Translation:
COMMUNIST China's government watched the Communist Soviet Union crumble and fail not because of a weak military but because of a weak economy. Not wanting to loose their strangle hold on 1.3 billion sheeple and have them rebel and overthrow the Communist government (which is how they came to power in the first place) the government offered their billion slave laborers to greedy business in the United States. They said "send us your newest technology and ideas (which we will copy) and we will build them for you for pennies free from expensive environmental and safety regulations." That was all it took for greedy American companies to get hooked like a heroin addict. And like a drug dealer they have drained this country of jobs and money.

Joseph Stalin:

When we hang the capitalists they will sell us the rope we use
Now that damage has been done and the American economy is struggling those same greedy companies that sent jobs and money to China and grew their economy are wanting to sell their products to the Chinese.

brenn 09-21-2014 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Scudda (Post 13238731)
A friend of mine was in Kuwait for work last year and got me a shirt from the dealer there.....It has the bar and shield and harley of Kuwait on it

Just to clear things up it's not the shirt that bothers me it's what's they did on it...I would wear a shirt from every dealer around the world if I had them

I wen through the Airport on Kuwait City last September and saw the HD store and I didn't want to delay getting through security at the time (the Army having cancelled and reinstated my R&R leave about 4 times, I wasn't taking any chances). Came back a couple of weeks later to get a T-shirt and the store had closed down right after I went through on the way home.

Imold 09-21-2014 07:39 AM

I guess there's two ways you could look at this shirt. It's an American icon being overcome or absorbed by the Chinese, or a symbol of friendship or common interest. Since the intent is ambiguous to me, don't think I'd wear it in public. Different cultures, I wouldn't hold it against them if their intent was good; I doubt it was intended as a slur against Americans, just not understanding how we'd view it.

Friend gave this me. Didn't know if there actually was a Harley shop there (doubtful), got it in a shop that sold all kinds of patches.

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/...stuf/patch.jpg

Happy Hippo 09-21-2014 07:48 AM

I like to get shirts from any country I visit. But, I do not like that shirt at all. My avatar is from a shirt I just got from Thailand.

adm 09-21-2014 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by wg103 (Post 13238842)
Translation:
COMMUNIST China's government watched the Communist Soviet Union crumble and fail not because of a weak military but because of a weak economy. Not wanting to loose their strangle hold on 1.3 billion sheeple and have them rebel and overthrow the Communist government (which is how they came to power in the first place) the government offered their billion slave laborers to greedy business in the United States. They said "send us your newest technology and ideas (which we will copy) and we will build them for you for pennies free from expensive environmental and safety regulations." That was all it took for greedy American companies to get hooked like a heroin addict. And like a drug dealer they have drained this country of jobs and money.

Joseph Stalin:

Now that damage has been done and the American economy is struggling those same greedy companies that sent jobs and money to China and grew their economy are wanting to sell their products to the Chinese.

Dude, you didn't answer the question. Have you ever been to China? Because if you haven't, you don't know what you are talking about. Consider that there may have been some propaganda about communism spoon fed to you in the classroom in the early stages of your life.

China now has a larger middle class than the US. They have raised more people out of poverty than the US. In fact, more people are sliding into poverty in the US.

And some news for you as well....the rise of the Chinese middle class is making China increasingly uncompetitive as a low cost labour base. This middle class all want LCD TVs, smartphones and yes...even Harleys. And good for them. They are all free to educate themselves and take any job they can get to work to achieve these things and better themselves.

If you think about China as a communist economy, you really don't understand it at all. If anything, it's a state controlled capitalist economy.

wg103 09-21-2014 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by adm (Post 13239476)
Dude, you didn't answer the question. Have you ever been to China? Because if you haven't, you don't know what you are talking about. Consider that there may have been some propaganda about communism spoon fed to you in the classroom in the early stages of your life.

China now has a larger middle class than the US. They have raised more people out of poverty than the US. In fact, more people are sliding into poverty in the US.

And some news for you as well....the rise of the Chinese middle class is making China increasingly uncompetitive as a low cost labour base. This middle class all want LCD TVs, smartphones and yes...even Harleys. And good for them. They are all free to educate themselves and take any job they can get to work to achieve these things and better themselves.

If you think about China as a communist economy, you really don't understand it at all. If anything, it's a state controlled capitalist economy.

Dude, I don't care that you say you went to China and you think that makes you an expert. If you love China so damn much go live there! ...Yea, I didn't think so.

Like I said American dollars helped build Communist China's economy or China would have suffered the same fate as the former Communist Soviet Union.

Your opinion is China has a "state controlled capitalist economy." Whatever, the FACT is China is ruled by the CPC (means Communist Party of China) Since you're an expert tell us how many civilians were killed by the Communist government during the Tiananmen Square protest because the Chinese government never did.

adm 09-21-2014 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by wg103 (Post 13239589)
Dude, I don't care that you say you went to China and you think that makes you an expert. If you love China so damn much go live there! ...Yea, I didn't think so.

Like I said American dollars helped build Communist China's economy or China would have suffered the same fate as the former Communist Soviet Union.

Your opinion is China has a "state controlled capitalist economy." Whatever, the FACT is China is ruled by the CPC (means Communist Party of China) Since you're an expert tell us how many civilians were killed by the Communist government during the Tiananmen Square protest because the Chinese government never did.

I don't "love" China at all. I just want to point out that your understanding of it is deeply flawed.

As for putting down demonstrations with military force, do you remember the Kent State shootings? Perhaps a little closer to home?

You are right though. American dollars have massively helped China build it's economy. But then Chinese dollars also help build America's economy. It's called global trade and the US has about a 1 trillion dollar trade deficit with China.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate America, or China or any other country for that matter. I work for an American company (so I have every reason to hope for both it and America's long term success), and they ask me to travel to China often which I am always happy to do because it's so damn fascinating. In the last 40 years, these guys have come from a pretty much medieval economy to the 2nd largest economy in the world. They will outstrip the US by 2020 most likely.

The notion of Communism doesn't really apply to most Chinese anymore. Their government interferes in their daily lives just about as much as yours does. "Pay your taxes and obey the laws".

The Chinese government is also smart because it has a long, long term plan. I'm not a supporter of a totalitarian state, but it certainly gives you some benefits in terms of long term planning. As long as the peasants don't revolt and kill you. But this won't happen in China as the standard of living is increasing, the reins have been let off and it's essentially a capitalist economy that allows the general public to live the Chinese dream.

The Chinese people want the same things you want. They want to be left in peace, allowed to make money and improve their lives. They want to buy McDonalds and Harleys, Levi Jeans etc (which cost a fortune in China comparatively) and America wants to buy cellphones, network infrastructure and consumer goods.

Live and let live, but don't let ignorance and ill informed opinion be your guide in life.

Tufel 09-21-2014 01:06 PM

I wish there was a like button on this forum.

Well said adm. With the exception of radicals, you described the world's population. Yes I'd wear the dam shirt.

Stretchman 09-21-2014 01:18 PM

Have we forgotten?

" We hold these truths to be self evident, that ALL MEN are created equal, and endowed with certain inalienable rights, bestowed upon them by their Creator."

Live by it.