Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Lane Splitting (Filtering) May Have Saved My Life (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1001007-lane-splitting-filtering-may-have-saved-my-life.html)

Juggerpops 09-22-2014 03:58 PM

Lane Splitting (Filtering) May Have Saved My Life

So on Saturday I was out riding all morning and had plans to meet my wife for lunch. The area we were meeting had some heavy construction and all traffic was redirected to the access road. As I exited to a stopped line of cars the sport bike I had been riding with, (just someone I dint know him) split the lanes between the cars, now this is not legal in Texas so I have never done it, but I was late and the wife cant be kept waiting so I followed suit. not 10 seconds after we started filtering up the lanes of cars a minivan plowed into the back of the white corolla that was behind me and pushed it into a pickup truck.

I'll never be convinced that "Filtering, Sharing, Splitting" whatever you want to call it, is less safe than sitting in stopped traffic.

Tufel 09-22-2014 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Juggerpops (Post 13244172)
So on Saturday I was out riding all morning and had plans to meet my wife for lunch. The area we were meeting had some heavy construction and all traffic was redirected to the access road. As I exited to a stopped line of cars the sport bike I had been riding with, (just someone I dint know him) split the lanes between the cars, now this is not legal in Texas so I have never done it, but I was late and the wife cant be kept waiting so I followed suit. not 10 seconds after we started filtering up the lanes of cars a minivan plowed into the back of the white corolla that was behind me and pushed it into a pickup truck.

I'll never be convinced that "Filtering, Sharing, Splitting" whatever you want to call it, is less safe than sitting in stopped traffic.

Glad to hear your safe.

it's saved me twice. Both times stopped on the freeway saw the guys behind not stopping so slid in between the cars a ways. One time they rearended the car I was behind the other time they skidded to a stop where I was. Shrug, yep is way safer Imo.

dribble 09-22-2014 04:32 PM

Glad you are OK but don't do that again. Several members here say it's deadly, even though they've never done it and don't live where it's legal.

m6zero 09-22-2014 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by dribble (Post 13244327)
Glad you are OK but don't do that again. Several members here say it's deadly, even though they've never done it and don't live where it's legal.

lmao! That should stir up some crap...

crash_override65 09-22-2014 04:40 PM

Glad to hear it saved your ass. I personally don't sit in traffic ever if I can avoid it, I prefer to keep as many threats in front of me as I can.

Str8chuter 09-22-2014 06:19 PM

The good news is that there are no real high speed expressways on Maui.The bad news is that there are no real expressways on Maui. Depending on the highway the maximum speed limit will be either 45MPH or 55MPH. There are only three 4 lane highways on island and no lane splitting/filtering allowed. Also bear in mind that there are a lot of tourists in rental cars on these roads. Tourists that have no idea where they are going or how to get there. Most of them have never seen a girl in a thong bikini or surf board before so traffic will back up on the roads that parellel the beaches - talk about a recipe for disaster. And this is why I have both a modulating headlight and modulating rear brake light. Nobody is paying attention, they are either sight seeing, taking photos out of the car windows, texting their friends, putting on make-up, or looking at a map.

Driving (Riding) in Maui is very dangerous, between the distracted drivers and unfamiliarity with the roads. We have a very high traffic death rate for our population. There were 23 traffic deaths in 2012. There were 16 traffic fatalities and 6 near fatal crashes in 2013. As of Sept 21, 2014 it would appear that we could set a new record for traffic fatalities with 15 traffic fatalities already this year compared to 10 at the same time last year. Maui is not Disney World, tourists are regular fatalities while surfing, scuba diving, visiting the "BlowHole" and snorkeling, let alone driving on sub-standard roads... Come to Maui, have a good time... and be very careful out there.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Greezey Rider 09-22-2014 06:23 PM

All the pussies will be here in a little while to tell you that you can't do that 'cause it's just too dangerous.

longrideshields-1 09-22-2014 06:24 PM

That was pretty lucky. Glad you're okay.

edilgdaor 09-22-2014 07:40 PM

You would have been safer to get rear-ended, because that never happens.

Lane-splitting is what's dangerous.

Sarcasm intended. I was trying to sound like the experts that are thousands of miles from reality.

TwiZted Biker 09-22-2014 07:45 PM

You'll never stop behind another vehicle and feel safe again, welcome to the real world.