General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After An Accident Issues ... Lawsuit / Totaled Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:34 AM
CipoWins42
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch yourself. Lawyers are out to screw both sides.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:38 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Wow, congratulations Johnny!

I've been following your thread from the beginning, I know it's been a hard road for the two of you but your optimism and joy of riding seems to have sustained you throughout. I hope that everything works out with a settlement that is fair to all concerned.

The new bike is absolutely stunning, ride it in good health!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Great choice for a bike, and good luck on the recovery.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:05 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Lawyer up. A buddy of mine got hit on his '05 RK with 150,000 miles on it. He hired one of those attorneys who specialize in motorcycle accidents. He got a new RK out of the deal with no money out of pocket or any additional funds from his insurance company. He now has the best Harley of all - the paid for model.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:07 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the supportiveness so many of you have given.

I fell in love with this ride after my inspection, testing out and learning all the new devices for 2014, and the 10 mile test ride yesterday. It was amazing to an old EVO rider.

Originally Posted by CipoWins42
Watch yourself. Lawyers are out to screw both sides.
I hear you!

I've done my "homework" on this, including getting a very solid personal referral.

I have a question list to go over at the first "free" consultation before any agreement for representation is signed.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:20 AM
wmfuller
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A heads up and also a question for your prospective lawyer. In the State of Missouri, if you are involved in an accident and you sue the other party for pain-suffering-compensation, etc and win your suit and are monetarily compensated and your Health Ins. Company pays your medical claims. Your Health Insurance company(in Missouri) can demand from you & sue you for full reimbursement of all the medical claims they paid in your behalf for your injuries. They all get a piece of the pie.
Several years ago I was severly injured in a bike accident. Uninsured driver, $500 car, rented his home and not a dime in his pocket. My Health Insurance company paid the bills but within 60 days they started calling wanting to know if I had an attorney and if I was filing a suit because they wanted to make sure they got reimbursed in full for my medical claims.
After consulting an attorney, he told me that after his fee, Health Ins. Co. Reimbursement, Missouri Tort Reform cap of $250k, I could take him to Subway for lunch with the balance, assuming the other party could payup.
I don't claim to know what the laws are in your state but it might be worth checking into and asking your prospective attorney.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:39 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wmfuller,

I appreciate every bit of info everyone, including yourself, has been sharing. I sure will add this to my question list.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Somehow I missed all this till now, sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. Sad about the Tour Glide, but sounds like you're happy to get a new bike. Hard way to get a new bike, I'd rather just hang on to my Tour Glideand hope I never have to replace it; if I did, would be looking for another Tour Glide or FXRT (which usually cost a lot more in decent shape). Like the b&w paint scheme on your new ride, hopefully you'll scare some texters thinking it's a cop bike.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:22 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Thanks for reporting back with the good news. I see you've already got the new bike in your sig.