General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wool clothing for Winter Riding

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wool clothing for Winter Riding

I have searched here and the internet and I can't find a definitive answer. For riding in cooler weather ( I know heated is best for cold) is wool better or fleece or really no difference.

Here is my situation. I can ride my Limited to customers houses. Because I will be getting off my bike after riding in cooler weather and then going into a house for a few hours, I don't want any base layers that or mid layers that would be too hot to wear inside.

I have heard good things about Merino wool but nothing about wearing it on a motorcycle to help keep warm if it is effective due to the wind.

If you have worn both fleece and / or wool what are your thoughts?

Old 10-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use wool socks when the temps dip and they keep my feet pretty warm. Last year I didn't even have a very good pair of cold weather boots but with wool socks I was riding down into the 30's w/ reasonably warm feet. Not toasty mind you, but not freezing either. It's the only wool garment I wear so only opinion I can offer.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:28 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

I love wool socks when it is cold. Fleece has the advantage of keeping you warm when wet. I wear poly-pro shirts and layer up.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:41 PM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Heated gear is the way to go. There is noting out there that will keep the cold wind off the skin. I have a heated jacket and I only wear a cotton long sleeve shirt under it. I would wear a short sleeve shirt but the jacket can burn your skin.

You can take the jacket off when you arrive at your destination and not worry about overheating when you are inside.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Jondalar
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Harley Hi-Vis gear with other clothes underneath.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 10-07-2014, 05:40 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Heated Gear

First you need something on the outside that is windproof so that no wind gets through the barrier. It doesn't matter if it is leather or high tech fabric but it has to work. I used to have a hard time keeping the wind from going down my shirt in my throat area, even with a scarf. That's what finally brought me to heated gear. With heated gear, it's three layers and done. It's easier to move around in and it's warmer than all the layers I used to put on. Except for the ice and snow you can ride all year round. Wool is too porous to keep you really warm on a bike. Walking yes but riding no.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Jason Oates
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Second the heated clothing. I goofed around for a while trying to find a decent combo of wool/fleece upper setup and socks but that wind won't let go after about an hour or so when it does get straight cold!

Finally I just sucked it up and got my Gerbing's gear. It's a little pricey but absolutely fantastic! Long sleeve T-shirt, Gerbing's heated liner (not their full jacket) and a regular jacket and I'm set! This even worked with my perforated leather jacket down to the 30's!! (I have their heated gloves and eventually got their sock warmers as well).

It's very comfortable, doesn't add much bulk, you can control the temp and the BEST part is of all the looks of other people in their cages!! Just that look of "MAN I want to get out of this crap-cold weather to ride!!"

Old 10-07-2014, 06:43 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What "cooler" temps are you talking about? I wear leather jacket and chaps, gauntlet gloves with surgical gloves for liners, a Polypropolene balaclava, and a knit stocking cap. Usually stay warm enough down into the teens. Have ridden in 17 degrees a couple of times.

I don't have heated gear. Don't want to spend the cash on it, or be wired to the bike. I'm sure it's great stuff, just not needed.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:52 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

You're going to need an outer jacket. Preferably one with a liner. This way when you enter a customer's house you'll be stripping essentially 2 layers off so you won't overheat in their home.

Everyone's cold tolerance is different so it's tough to say what anyone really needs. I have the FXRG jacket that (in the winter) I use the zip in liner. Then, I can wear a t-shirt and a fleece pullover to keep warm well into the upper 20s. Below that I add a thermal undershirt.

One of the things that keep me warm are my heated gloves. Once my hands get cold, the rest gets cold. It may seem counterintuitive, but it works from my experience.

Keep your feet warm too. I use wool socks. For the legs I wear thermals under my jeans and chaps. Yes, chaps work to keep the cold wind off. Plus they're easy to put on and remove.

If you keep everything warm then you won't need to bulk up like a marshmallow.

Quick Reply: Wool clothing for Winter Riding