General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last laugh?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:01 PM
searay40dad
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last laugh?

I had an interesting voicemail Saturday from the dealer I bought my '13 from and who also happened to have a '14 that I was interested in and tried to make an offer on. I had found the exact bike at another dealer across town and told the sales mgr if he'd just beat the deal by something...anything, I'd buy his. He then told me he had the only FXSBSE left in the state (like I was being less than honest about the one I had a price on) until he pulled up theirs on the web, then he tells me no can do--he can sell his at the price he quoted me "all day long as well as sell any more just like it he could get his hands on". He offered 1k off msrp but added almost 2 grand in bs setup charges and fees. The other place was over 3 grand less for the exact bike. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling very chatty after all this went down like it did.

Well, guess what bike is still on his floor and guess what he wants to talk to me about...4 weeks later and after we had the exchange above.

I was crystal clear that I was heading to the other dealer to buy when I left his dealership. So, is there any reason to return his call? I'm not about shoving it in his face and who knows, I may need or want something from their place some day so I'm just inclined to let it go.

Of course I guess he could be calling to tell me he'll sell it to me for cost...now that would be my luck.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:17 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

His job, get as much as possible from you
Your job, keep as much as possible for yourself
It's a job why take it personal?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhand
His job, get as much as possible from you
Your job, keep as much as possible for yourself
Unfortunately that how the capitalistic world turns. Everywhere your going to go it the the same tune at a different location doesn't matter which business.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I wouldn't call him back, let him wonder....

Old 10-27-2014, 09:47 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

So the call came from Dealer #2? Right?

I'd tell the story to the guy you bought from (Dealer#1),, and have him call Dealer #2.

I have a story kind of like that.
I was on a quest this spring,, I knew what I wanted.
A mectric dealer in town had a lot of second had HD,, fine with me, and one had my interest,, a little high but,,

Every time I walked in there, the "experienced" sales guy kept hawking the virtues of "metric" bikes,, Long story short I told him if he tried selling me that crap again I'd never come in again.
He did, and I didn't!
I bought from a private party, and rode it up to his office window and waved at him.
I will not take a hard sell from a dealer at all!!

Old 10-27-2014, 09:58 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd ride the bike over to the dealer and ask how selling that only bike was going. I think some or these salesman need a reality check so maybe next time they won't let you walk away

Old 10-27-2014, 10:05 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyRebKY
I'd ride the bike over to the dealer and ask how selling that only bike was going.

That's even Better!

Old 10-27-2014, 10:24 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I can't believe how some of you guys let those salesmen get into your heads.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:43 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

through the 80's early 90's I had a lawn care business, I decided after a couple years to step up to a john deere front mount mower.
The local dealer was only a mile from my place and I went over and told the salesman exactly what I wanted to buy, and I told him to give me his best price.
He did and I didn't quite like the price so I left.
An older friend of mine used to be the service manager at this dealership, he told me to go to Washington and speak to a certain salesman and tell him that jim had sent me.
One morning I came home from my night job and was trying to get a couple hours sleep when all of a sudden I heard cars squealing tires and people shouting and running between the mobile homes in the park.
The law was chasing a B&E suspect, well I couldn't sleep after this so the wife and I went over to Washington and the sales guy beat the local dealers price over a thousand dollars.
The local sales guy saw me one morning at the café with jim and saw the new mower on my trailer, when I left he asked jim where I got it and he told him Washington, then the sales guy told jim, "why didn't he come back to me? id have met that price."
Jim told him, "he told you to give him your best price and you told him you did, why would he come back?"
A couple years later I wanted a bigger mower and went back to the local dealer, he asked me, "are you going to buy from me this time?"
I told him, "are you going to give me your best price or jerk me around again?"
He did and I bought from him.
When I purchased my land he was in real estate and was the salesman, his family actually owned the land, it was the last piece they had for sale.
There were 12 family members that needed to sign to sale it.
He farted around and wouldn't get the papers signed, his brother is an attorney so I called him and he lit the the fire under his ****.
I believe in a fair deal and a speedy deal, I don't have time to play games, when im ready and want to buy something I want to get it done.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:14 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

This is how Beach House Harley in Shallotte NC beats Myrtle Beach....They give you their best price which is usually thousands less that MB. So You go to MB first let them give your their best OTD price. Then get the Beach House price. When you take the bike to Myrtle Beach they cannot say much as you allowed them to gave you THEIR "best price" first" Local DMV claims 3 of 5 new bikes they register are from NC !

Last edited by TenMidgets; 10-27-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Last laugh?