General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Twist Grip Sensor driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 03:20 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Throttle Twist Grip Sensor driving me nuts!

Last weekend I installed my Vindikta 12" ape hangars on my 2014 CVO Limited.
Everything went pretty smooth but after start up I got several error codes suggesting I damaged the TBW during internal wiring. The pesky green connector likely being the culprit. I did a lot of reading and most people avoid the hassles associated with the green connector by replacing the Twist Grip Sensor with the HD replacement 32310-08. This is the extended version intended for oversized bars internally wired and eliminates the green connector. So I picked up this replacement Twist Grip Sensor and my local dealer today.

At this point I'm taking things apart and see that the six pin connector included with the the replacement sensor is the same (male) connector on the fairing side of the harness. The stock Twist Grip Sensor pins are female.

Of course there is no wiring instructions included so what am I missing here? How am I supposed to connect the 6 male pins from the TBW to the 6 male pins on the fairing side of the harness which also has male pins.

I checked photo online to see if the sensor I got from the dealer was a assembled wrong and the answer is no, they are all like that.

I'm sure the factory didn't intend the end installer to have to cut off the factory male six pins on the fairing side harness and replace with female pins as this TBW is so sensitive to continuity changes soldiering often throws error codes.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing here with the wiring of the replacement TGS?

Old 11-07-2014, 06:38 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

I believe you may be mistaking pins and sockets. The 32310-08 is designed as such where you have to disassemble the one half of the connector housing and install the pins in the stock housing which then mates with the other half of the connector which houses the sockets.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-07-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:51 AM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

I think I understand that, but my stock connector on the TBW side houses the sockets, and the connector on the fairing side (main wiring harness) houses the pins. The new connector on my new extended TGS also houses pins and the same connector as on the fairing side (main wiring harness). There are no sockets except on the stock TGS which is coming out.

In other words, the connector shown in your pic above, is the same connector supplied with the new extended TGS 32310-08 and ALSO on the fairing side connector of the main wiring harness. Obviously these two connectors will not connect to each other. It seems the connector on my stock TGS (which houses the sockets) should be the connector on the fairing side connector of the main wiring harness.

Last edited by dgdamore; 11-08-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:07 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

It should look like this.

Attached Thumbnails Throttle Twist Grip Sensor driving me nuts!-image.jpg  
Old 11-08-2014, 09:17 AM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, it looks exactly like that. Except the connector that this plugs into in the fairing is the exact same connector. How can these two plug into one another? They are the same.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:37 AM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

This is the plug inside the fairing that the TGS plugs into.

This is the plug included with the new extended TGS. As you can see, this plug can not plug into the plug above.

This is the plug for the original, stock TGS. As you can see this will easily plug into the fairing plug. Either this plug should be on the end of the new TGS or, inside the fairing. But the swap can't be made because this connector is designed to hold sockets. The other plug holds pins.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:15 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Hmm, that's odd. Looks like you may have to cut the pins off and install sockets or vice versa.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:26 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

looks like a housing screw up. the wire terminals look to be the correct female put the connector housing is wrong. de-pin the female terminals from the new and old sensor harness connector housing and swap housing's.

pop the center white lock out of the connector(this is what holds the terminal locks in place). release terminal pin locks in connector and remove wire terminal. . make sure you write down wire color location for each connector position.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:59 AM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
looks like a housing screw up. the wire terminals look to be the correct female put the connector housing is wrong. de-pin the female terminals from the new and old sensor harness connector housing and swap housing's.

pop the center white lock out of the connector(this is what holds the terminal locks in place). release terminal pin locks in connector and remove wire terminal. . make sure you write down wire color location for each connector position.
Yep, did all this yesterday, soldered things up nice. All shrink wrapped and fished through the bars. Again. What a bitch job this has been, made more difficult due to some idiot at the factory. Oh well.

Planning on reassembling today. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by dgdamore; 11-09-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:18 AM
mhsmith451
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Hmm, that's odd. Looks like you may have to cut the pins off and install sockets or vice versa.
I agree and am in the same exact boat....I find it beyond irritating that a $100 wiring kit does not contain the necessary 30-cent connector and will contact the dealer I got it from (online HD dealer)

Quick Reply: Throttle Twist Grip Sensor driving me nuts!