General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin 590 LM Goes BLANK.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:44 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,331 Likes on 10,702 Posts
Question Garmin 590 LM Goes BLANK.

This happen to anyone?

If it is not the battery, and the 590 LM is in the cradle getting power, did anyone have their screen go BLANK and will NOT start up again? It just remains a BLANK screen rendering it useless for the rest of the ride.

The next day, it starts up fine like nothing ever happened.

This happened to me twice.

Anyone experience this?

<-- I did that already.

Thank you,

BuzzCap7

Old 01-19-2015, 08:54 PM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not happen to myself but am familiar with troubleshooting Garmins. Are there any firmware updates available for the unit? Have you performed a reset on it? Sometimes things go wonky.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:02 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by dibe
I have not happen to myself but am familiar with troubleshooting Garmins. Are there any firmware updates available for the unit? Have you performed a reset on it? Sometimes things go wonky.
Great ideas mate.

1) Firmware. It is brand new. Via Garmin Express it said it is up to date. It being maps and I think firmware.

2) Reset. Nope. Did not do that. Hesitant since I have so much in it. I'll put some thought to that. THANKS for the idea.

BuzzCap7

Old 01-19-2015, 09:11 PM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm not familiar with that model, but my 550 used to do that. Remove the battery for about 30 seconds and put it back in, sometimes electronics just lock up.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:19 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by joe.1955
I'm not familiar with that model, but my 550 used to do that. Remove the battery for about 30 seconds and put it back in, sometimes electronics just lock up.
Thanks.........I'm on it!

BuzzCap7

Old 01-20-2015, 07:29 PM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem. You should be able to hook it up to your computer and back most of your data up.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:37 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by dibe
No problem. You should be able to hook it up to your computer and back most of your data up.
Yes my friend. I am not good with that part. Oh well, no big deal could be worse. TY tho.

BuzzCap7

Old 01-21-2015, 10:09 AM
Sandy H.
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this happen on a marine Garmin once and it turned out to be a bad crimp connection on the power cable connector. Try wiggling the positive and negative connections with it on and see if it turns off.

They sent me a new cable NC.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:04 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by Sandy H.
I had this happen on a marine Garmin once and it turned out to be a bad crimp connection on the power cable connector. Try wiggling the positive and negative connections with it on and see if it turns off.

They sent me a new cable NC.
Thanks..........already tried that.

BuzzCap7

Old 01-22-2015, 06:19 PM
HogAir
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Not saying this is the case for your unit, just something to think about.

Last year I corrupted the SD card I load music to in my 590 by not properly ejecting the unit from my Mac after loading MP3's on it. Even though I ejected it, the Mac didn't seem to agree with that and I got the nag popup when I unplugged the cable. Didn't really think too much about it then, just clicked OK.

When I turned the 590 on it would start to boot then shut down. It seemed to be stuck in a loop. I also tried the reset procedure and it did nothing for me. I knew the battery was good but it just kept rebooting. Thought, GREAT!, now I've locked it up and will have to send it back to Garmin.

Thinking about the SD card, I removed it from the 590, put everything back together, and the unit booted right up. I then formatted the SD card and reloaded the MP3s to the card with the card mounted in the computer not the 590. Put the card back in the 590, booted it up and everything is good to go. I now remove the card from the 590 any time I want to add music to it and have not had anymore problems with it. I guess if it's trying to read the external SD and its corrupted it can lock the unit up and do some weird things.

Earlier this year I had battery charging issues with the unit and it would go dead when not used for a couple of days. Garmin swapped out the unit with a brand new unit with a much higher serial number than I had. This one seems to be good to go now. Great news was they only wanted the original 590 back, none of the accessories that came with it. They sent a complete new unit so now I've got spare bike mounts, car mounts and all cables to boot. Two day Fedex turn around from the date I sent it in via Fedex.

If you still have problems, go on line to Garmin support and they will take care of you.

Last edited by HogAir; 01-22-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Garmin 590 LM Goes BLANK.