General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for taking pictures of motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 04:12 PM
DALE#3
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Who needs a complicated camara for basic photo's

Old 09-22-2015, 10:11 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Looking at this on a break at work and most of the photos aren't displaying here...but the pics I've seen have been real nice. I was just talking to my wife about our recent vacation photos - I told her that a few of them were photographs, the rest were snapshots. Even though they were all taken with a Nikon SLR, there is a definite difference between saying "ooh" and clicking the shutter and seeing a photo opportunity and having the time to adjust, frame, set up, and shoot...

Not one of my bikes above, but I liked the angle of the old Mini...and that was shot on an iPhone 5S, too.

I need to break out the Nikon some weekend when the bikes are clean and try and get artsy.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Bafulgaro
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many helpful tips. Thanks. I will try it out.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:19 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider1
She isn't topless in this shot, not allowed in this forum, but a fine greek specimen regardless

Very nice! Your best shot so far, HardRider...LOL.

On a related note, how about some tips for approaching a fine-looking woman and asking her to model half-naked (or mostly-naked) with your bike? Seriously...
I've actually been wanting to do a photo shoot of a beautiful woman (or two) with my ride, but lack the courage to ask, for fear of coming off as a total perv (well, aren't all guys?) or completely flirtatious. I just wish I could think of a way to ask a woman to do this and have her at least be flattered that I asked. I have no confidence with women. Never have...
Best thing I can think of is, "now don't take this the wrong way, but..."

Great thread, btw. I learned a LOT here...

Last edited by HoggyMtnBreakdown; 09-30-2015 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:00 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Very nice! Your best shot so far, HardRider...LOL.

On a related note, how about some tips for approaching a fine-looking woman and asking her to model half-naked (or mostly-naked) with your bike? Seriously...
I've actually been wanting to do a photo shoot of a beautiful woman (or two) with my ride, but lack the courage to ask, for fear of coming off as a total perv (well, aren't all guys?) or completely flirtatious. I just wish I could think of a way to ask a woman to do this and have her at least be flattered that I asked. I have no confidence with women. Never have...
Best thing I can think of is, "now don't take this the wrong way, but..."

Great thread, btw. I learned a LOT here...
The woman pictured here is a professional model, paid to perform in front of the camera while in a studio. I have a studio that I work in occasionally, a couple of us put a few bucks together hire a model or two and do themed shoots. There are plenty of agencies out there who will provide the modeling services.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:47 PM
dadof3
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of mine

Last edited by soldierbot; 04-02-2021 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:33 AM
KKND
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Few tips

Hey guys,
Long time member but been dormant for a while. I do check this forum regularly for inspirations, reviews, technical queries and advice, so maybe its time I contribute in an area that I may know one or two things about......

Although mobile phone cameras are as good as digital point and shoot cameras however, they will never be as good as a proper DSLR. Doesn't have to be full frame or expensive, but the fact that you have control over exposure, shutter speed and aperture, as well as the ability to take images in RAW format is what will make your pictures stand out!

I do tend to take my pictures using natural light, so timing is crucial! harsh midday sunlight is the worst, as well as no sunlight at all!

The second important aspect is the angle, motorcycles are long and slim, hence it is very important to decide on the preferred angle and front wheel position as well.

here are few pictures of my bike and some of my friends'...for your viewing pleasure.

The following 2 users liked this post by KKND:
Odd986 (08-29-2019), Tanushiheadbash (08-03-2021)
Old 11-01-2015, 01:14 AM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,067 Likes on 6,791 Posts

I'm still practicing.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:41 AM
thephatboy2003
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, Great Pics Sarah, always thought the bike was nice, but didn't realize how nice until these 2 pics.....

Old 11-05-2015, 12:14 PM
daveswoodcraft
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Work Hardrider 1

The use of the miniature setting was very nice.
I often wonder car shows and almost anyplace looking for the pictures that others don't take.

So my suggestions from years of running a professional film processing lab and shoot film SLRs since about 1972.
First check your angles and your shadows, if this is a shoot that you are setting up sometimes a good size mirror to reflect some light back into and area works wonder and reflecting some color from a sunset can be a nice effect. Got some fancy wheel work going on? mirror on the ground maybe propped up to catch the reflection and get a picture of both the actual wheel and its reflection. works good for motors as well.
Don't be afraid to shoot tons of exposures, I processed film for professional photographers that shot for magazine and one in particular for National Geographic and I was amazed that these people would shoot 10 to 15 ROLLS of film for the 6 or 8 pictures they wanted. At least with digital you are not paying the processing before you pick the exposures you want .
Dave

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-15-2016 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Tips for taking pictures of motorcycles