General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for taking pictures of motorcycles

Old 05-21-2015, 07:40 AM
Roy M.
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if the need arises you can edit it at the computer.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:22 AM
Sandyflatlander
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very good help

Originally Posted by beary
I enjoy looking at pictures of motorcycles, plus I look at a lot of them for buying and selling. I have seen some really good artistic pictures and some really really bad ones. I am not a hobbyist photographer, but I've learned a few simple practical tips for getting good pictures. I will add a couple of tips, but I would really like to learn some tips from you folks who are good at taking good motorcycle photographs. Maybe this will even be turned into a sticky, but I invite all to contribute a tip or two.

When taking a picture of the whole bike from the side, shoot it at tank level to get the best detail and profile. Front and back shots look better from about a foot above the tank level.

Same tip goes for a zoomed in shots of specific parts of the bike like the engine, oil bag or saddle bags. Of course if a look down angle shot helps show off the detail like engraving, then of course do it, but rarely does the angle need to be more than 30 degrees maximum.

Always try to take the picture with the sun or your light coming from behind you. Shadows loose the details of the motorcycle. I know that may require moving the bike around, but it is worth it to get good shots.

Sparkling chrome looks great, but too much can be too much. Using the early morning or late afternoon sun can defuse the light enough to show off the chrome without taking away from the rest of the bike. I’m sure others here have some suggestions to help there.

For selling the bike, I find that four profile shots are plenty to show the bike. But take the front and back shot from a slight angle to the side to give the shot more perspective.

I find that unless the subject of your photo is the area around or behind the bike like the Grand Canyon or Monument Valley, the more simple the background, the better. I ride around looking for building walls because they lack detail in most cases that distract or confuse the motorcycle lines.

Beary
My wife needs to read this!

Old 06-05-2015, 02:23 PM
BCKNBLK
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't have my SLR with me when I took these but these were taken with my LG G3 and they turned out pretty well I think.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

Sorry if it has been mentioned but for me I have rarely seen a picture of a motorcycle taken with the bike sitting on grass that really really pops for me although there are some in this thread that do look pretty good. If the choice is between grass, asphalt and a natural color concrete/brick/stone/marble, the motorcycle picture sitting on the finished surface natural color probably will be the picture that most captures my eye. I have sold a few of my past motorcycles quickly using this technique so it seems also to perhaps appeal to others.

My signature picture is not an example of what I'm talking about. lol

Last edited by Xcrossbow; 06-05-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:09 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Here's one from yesterday while doing a tour of the historic stone bridges in New Hampshire

Old 06-10-2015, 09:47 PM
anyaneeeze
Cruiser

Originally Posted by swordy
imo the top pic would look better if you cropped the people & the power lines out! just my 2bobs worth

Old 06-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Mad Monk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A tip that wasn't mentioned is to shoot just after a rain. Wet, glistening ground reflects light in beautiful ways. I haven't started shooting my bike on the road yet, but I'm going to start getting on it. Some great inspiration in this thread.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:54 AM
bigwave916
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Signature Pics

Great thread and a lot of nice photos, and it seems to me that the signature pics on this board should improve after guys start using some of these tips. One of the problems with pics is finding the right background. Bike pics that look like someone has evergreens mounted on the fairing and TourPak, or one that I saw looked like it had some sort of plastic cat on a stick mounted to the front fender and a PVC pipe mounted to the back of the bike just don't look good to my untrained eye The other tip, that I think is a particularly good one, is about fill flash.

One thing I don't recall reading is about the rule of thirds, I think its' called. Something about making the subject either 1/3rd of the photo and the rest background, or vice versa.

I've taken more pictures of cars than I have of bikes, but they all look better with the vehicle at an angle, even in side shots they recommend having the front wheels turned slightly.

Looking forward to getting out this weekend with the camera and using some of these tips.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 PM
strato chief
Intermediate

Just wondering if someone could give me some help on posting full size photos. I can only post thumbnails. Thanks

Old 07-09-2015, 10:19 AM
karapiro
Stage IV

Thanks for the tips. Any thoughts on the best way to photograph chrome parts? You can usually see the person taking the pic reflected in the chrome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips for taking pictures of motorcycles