General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl Wrapping Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 05:14 AM
Brian_Reale
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vinyl Wrapping Questions

I have seen a few threads about this but I haven't gotten an answer to a few specific questions I have, Anyone out there have any DIY experience with wrapping your bike?

1. Does heat effect the wrap? I want the tank wrapped all the way around, is it a problem that it is sitting within inches of the engine? Heat is used to apply the vinyl and make it pliable, how does heat from the engine not loosen up your hard work?

2. Do i need to seal the edges of the vinyl with something?

3. Do I need to laminate the wrap? Im using 3m 900 series vinyl, they claim that it comes with a clear protective laminate integrated with the vinyl. Is it an industry standard to use this AND a separate laminate

Info from anyone with experience would be appreciated, info from anyone in the industry (graphics / vehicle wraps) would be cherished.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 AM
Muttleybass
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Regular heat, like from the heads should not affect the wrap. However, it's not like paint. The vinyls they use nowadays are very pliable and can get soft under very hot conditions. In other words, when it's hot, don't pick at it, but it should be fine. Unless it's really close to the pipes.

2. No edge sealing required.

3. The vinyl itself is the same vinyl that they cut up for pinstriping or stock graphics at the factory, so non-printed vinyl does not need laminating. When printed, different printers use different inks. It used to be that the printed graphics always had to be laminated, but with wraps becoming more popular, better inks have been developed along with vinyl specially for vehicles. If you're printing, the shop should provide the wrap with any laminating required.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Vital Signs Ltd.

The following users liked this post:
ARNAV (08-23-2020)
Old 02-12-2015, 03:26 PM
SD lumpy
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Why don't you have it dipped

Old 02-13-2015, 03:33 AM
Brian_Reale
Novice

Originally Posted by Muttleybass
1. Regular heat, like from the heads should not affect the wrap. However, it's not like paint. The vinyls they use nowadays are very pliable and can get soft under very hot conditions. In other words, when it's hot, don't pick at it, but it should be fine. Unless it's really close to the pipes.

2. No edge sealing required.

3. The vinyl itself is the same vinyl that they cut up for pinstriping or stock graphics at the factory, so non-printed vinyl does not need laminating. When printed, different printers use different inks. It used to be that the printed graphics always had to be laminated, but with wraps becoming more popular, better inks have been developed along with vinyl specially for vehicles. If you're printing, the shop should provide the wrap with any laminating required.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Vital Signs Ltd.

Thank you very much, very helpfull

Old 02-13-2015, 03:38 AM
Brian_Reale
Novice

Originally Posted by SD lumpy
Why don't you have it dipped

I wanted to keep this as low cost as possible, I can get the vinyl for cheap through someone and this way I can (at least attempt) to do it myself.

ARNAV (08-23-2020)
Old 02-13-2015, 07:19 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian_Reale
I wanted to keep this as low cost as possible, I can get the vinyl for cheap through someone and this way I can (at least attempt) to do it myself.
plastidip is a cheap alternative as well and doesn't require a lot of skill. You can also get it in several colors

Old 02-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by scott01
plastidip is a cheap alternative as well and doesn't require a lot of skill. You can also get it in several colors
Here you go...PlastiDip

ARNAV (08-23-2020)