General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the custom chopper fad dying?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 12:12 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Is the custom chopper fad dying?

Is the custom bagger and chopper dead?

Every year I attend a few bike shows and every year it seems there are always quite a few custom Harleyesque bikes parked around the show floor. This year they seemed to get about as much attention from show goers as the floor tiles and there were considerably fewer than in previous years. Meanwhile other displays like manufacturer displays from Indian, Kawasaki, etc. were overflowing with people. I was talking to a salesman from a local dealer who handles OCC. He was saying they stand to lose a lot of money from their experience as an OCC dealer. As a new OCC dealer, three years ago, they brought in 5 bikes and have only been able to sell two since then and will not be bringing in any more OCC bikes.

A lot of effort and sometimes skill goes into these bikes but the issue I feel is it is hard to be original when everyone is building the same bike from the same parts bin. There is very little to differentiate one custom chopper or bagger from another aside from a fancy paint job. IMO the future of custom bikes is going to be more like this in the near future........ http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/320/20...in-Verona.aspx

If you're going to build a custom bike that does not really drive that well why not do something original like this instead of just another custom bagger with giant front wheel or chopper with no suspension or ground clearance........

Just my two cents...

Attached Thumbnails Is the custom chopper fad dying?-adventure-bike_zpssjawupf3.jpg  

Last edited by fat_tony; 02-22-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:19 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Every year I attend a few bike shows and every year it seems there are always quite a few custom choppers parked around the show floor. This year they seemed to get about as much attention from show goers as the floor tiles and there were considerably fewer than in previous years. I was talking to a salesman from a local dealer who handles OCC. He was saying they stand to lose a lot of money from their experience as an OCC dealer. As a new OCC dealer, three years ago, they brought in 5 bikes and have only been able to sell two since then and will not be bringing in any more OCC bikes.

A lot of effort and skill goes into these bikes but the issue is it is hard to be original when everyone is building choppers.
Maybe the economy has a lot to do with it.... I work on custom pool cues and business is real sloooow.......

I like building choppers, just not show bikes... choppers will always be around...

Old 02-22-2015, 12:27 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I know a chopper is and always will be a chopper. But with all the custom baggers that have raked front ends and 30" + front wheels. Could they be the choppers of today?

Old 02-22-2015, 12:37 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,918 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by uplandpinter
I know a chopper is and always will be a chopper. But with all the custom baggers that have raked front ends and 30" + front wheels. Could they be the choppers of today?
Bite your tongue , you lose your man card for even mentioning something like that. Bagger and chopper should never be said in the same sentence.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:39 PM
krwould
Club Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Bite your tongue , you lose your man card for even mentioning something like that. Bagger and chopper should never be said in the same sentence.
Uhhh yuuup......

Old 02-22-2015, 12:58 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by krwould
Uhhh yuuup......
Oh I agree. You have to read the first sentence again.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:13 PM
krwould
Club Member

Originally Posted by uplandpinter
Oh I agree. You have to read the first sentence again.
I read it right the first time.... I agree with the first sentence.... a custom bagger is just that... a custom....

Old 02-22-2015, 02:27 PM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default maybe try going to a different show

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ed-2015-a.html

I don't think they invited TV baggers.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the custom bagger craze is still going strong. The era of long raked choppers is dead. People that own them are getting pennies on the dollar for what it cost to build them. However, I still see people putting up big $$$ to build these big wheel baggers. I recently had some new stretched bags painted for my Street Glide. In the paint shop was a $100,000 big wheel bagger. I just wish I had that kind of money to spend on a toy.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:26 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you can't or won't ride your chopper, custom or $100,000. bagger from coast to coast, it is a total waste of money, time and motor. The crap that Paul, Paul junior and OCC put out never were road bikes. I mean how can you even brag about a OCC garage queen? I do recall one old school bobber that senior did that was ride worthy, but that's it.

I'm happy to have survived the '60's and the era of Bay Area choppers. Some pretty stupid and dangerous stuff came out of drug induced fogs.

As long as there's beer, drugs and motorcycles, chopper's in one form or another, will be around.

Quick Reply: Is the custom chopper fad dying?