Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   What Rain Gear Works Best For You (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1029042-what-rain-gear-works-best-for-you.html)

Car Doc 02-25-2015 04:56 PM

We have frogg toggs and they work great and pack small. the biggest issue I have is burning the right inner leg on the pipes.

Ive done it on both bikes and patched them up twice which looks like azz. it makes one hell of a mess to clean up on the pipes. Ill buy hd next time and see how they stack up but that's my experience fwtw. hth

Oh btw I have hd gaiters they have a heat patch already on and recently I started wearing the pant leg inside the gaiters to get some life out of the pants that works pretty good so far. my .002

FNGonaRK 02-25-2015 05:03 PM

I have a pair of gore tex coveralls (almost like ski bibs), HD boot covers and that's usually all. Most of my rain riding happens in the summer and I run a windshield. Change my T-shirt when I get where I'm going if needed.

tar_snake 02-25-2015 06:17 PM

So long as the temperature is 50 degrees F and above, all I have is my leather jacket. I only use my leather chaps when it's about 35 degrees or colder. The *only* helmet I use is a half-helmet, but I have two of them - one for warm weather and another the next size larger for cold weather so I can wear a beanie (or if it's *really* cold, below 30 dgrees, my Schampa blaclava) underneath it. When it's cold I also wear some long handles under my jeans.

Anyway, when it's 40 degrees and colder, it's more or less sleet or snow, so I rarely get 'wet' in the winter. Warm weather rain though, I just ride in it...it's just water.

KUB 02-25-2015 06:57 PM

I have the HD two piece rain suit and it has kept me dry and warm . The jacket doubles as a light weight jacket if I get caught ! I would also look at the new Carhart rain gear that is available looks very durable and affordable in bright colors !!

kingxirol 02-25-2015 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Dukes (Post 13745494)
i bought some from Nelson Riggs and had no complaints. got poured on in London, Kentucky twice on the way to and back from the dragon last August and didnt have any real issues other than like stated, could of used a FF helmet.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/nels...ider-rain-suit

+1 on Nelson Riggs Storm Rider. i have ridden in pouring rain for about an hour and this suit didn't let me down. I was careful to not melt it on the pipes though. :D

Also I use it to fight cold as well when riding to work in mid-20s temp. in the morning.

cprhed 02-26-2015 09:08 AM

Hard to find these days but I love my Tourmaster Defender. 2 piece. Jacket is awesome and has a helmet liner hood too.

oct1949 02-26-2015 09:27 AM

I've had my MoCo rain suit for 6 yrs.. its the best one I've ever had..On trips its always packed in the bag.

triplj 02-26-2015 09:36 AM

HD Raingear. I live in Central Florida and it rains in the afternoon - a lot! As long as I have a full face helmet, I stay dry. I recently ponied up and got the HD rain gaiters, as well. I went through several other sets of rain gear that just didn't work very well before I settled on the HD gear. Expensive, but worth it to me.

Spartanden 02-26-2015 10:50 AM

I bought the $100 HD packing rain suit. cheap, small, light weight, packs nice and small, and is hotter than hell when it quits raining. It's not breatheable, it is solid plastic, but it is teh best $100 I have spent! I carry it always, have ridden in numerous storms, 4-5-6 hours at a time. Feet may get wet, and hands get wet, but the rest of me is pretty dry. It does what I need it to do, and has for 8 or 9 years now. What i like best is small package, and keeps me dry.

ohiomike 02-26-2015 10:57 AM

I bought hd rain suit 10 years ago, just now having small leaks was worth every penny (penny, I meant Hundred Dollars ) think I paid close to 200.00 but again 200.00 lasted 10 years 20.00 a year well worth it.