Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Coming to conclusion that its going to be a bit hard to find that particular bike. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1031055-coming-to-conclusion-that-its-going-to-be-a-bit-hard-to-find-that-particular-bike.html)

Ozark Joe 03-07-2015 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by dickey (Post 13779471)
First of all, why are you letting the OL tell you what you can & can't do? If you're gonna be a Harley guy, you gotta grow a pair. Tell her "My brother is driving my car. End of discussion". And, instead of letting her pay for part of it, I would take out her portion of the payment in a loan & pay for it yourself. Otherwise she'll be constantly browbeating you on what you can & can't do with it. Remember, women need to bitch & nag, otherwise they back up & explode! Trust me on THIS one even if you don't take any of my other advice!

2nd. I used to be a "carb only" guy till I got an EFI bike. They are way more reliable,and just push the button & go; no choke, no dirty or clogged jets,no farting,burping,coughing,etc. And, once it's tuned, it's tuned. Nothing changes. Only disadvantage is you can't lower the idle to get the "potato" sound, but the trade off is worth it--how much time do you spend at idle anyway? And, I've never known 1 person to have any trouble with EFI, other than dialing it in the very first tune. Never known 1 to fail. Just DO NOT buy a pre-02 EFI with the Magnetti-Morelli EFI system; impossible to tune & forget about getting parts. Stick with the Delphi EFI. The MM system has 2 fuel lines coming out of the tank; the Delphi has 1. And, if you are really stuck on a carb, you can get a carbed bike up to '06.

3. For the kinda bux you can spend, you can get a TwinCam, prolly up to '06. The Evos are nice, but you get less power, and you may have trouble getting certain parts. And, Evos tend to leak more.

4. As far as blue, if you find something you like, it can be painted. Prolly look better than a 15-20 YO paint job anyway.

5. Dunno where you got the idea that techs know more about carbs than EFI...some shops won't even work on carbs. EFI has come a long way in the last few years; you can buy a tuner & tune it yourself. Some guys who tune their own EFI bikes don't even know where the idle adjustment is on a carb.

1 She is hell on heels and if you cross her its like you better be checking out of North America. It will be our tax money that pays for it so no getting her out of that one. On small detail I have gotten away with saying this is how it is and deal with it. It just dont work when are talking about something more than 100 bucks. She is notorious for not forgetting something I did wrong. Loves to throw it in my face many moths later.

Counter advice if you got balls and want to keep them DON'T piss off my OL. She WILL have at yours in a heartbeat and not in a good way.

2 I was always told by an old biker that you can find more mechanics that can fix carbed. It also makes me nervous if I'm many miles from home and EFI goes out then it be a one way trip to dealership. Thats what I heard

3 & 5 TC are not fixable internally also I'm told. Engine parts can be found through S & S for an EVO. Not a big power guy just as long as its mechanically sound and drives good I'm ok with less power.

4 Good point, I was think as last resort I can get it painted the way I want if I cant find one in my color.

I'd rather be able to work on my own bike than shell extra money for someone else to do it.

Colorido 03-07-2015 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe (Post 13779505)
1 She is hell on heels and if you cross her its like you better be checking out of North America. It will be our tax money that pays for it so no getting her out of that one. On small detail I have gotten away with saying this is how it is and deal with it. It just dont work when are talking about something more than 100 bucks. She is notorious for not forgetting something I did wrong. Loves to throw it in my face many moths later.

Counter advice if you got balls and want to keep them DON'T piss off my OL. She WILL have at yours in a heartbeat and not in a good way.

2 I was always told by an old biker that you can find more mechanics that can fix carbed. It also makes me nervous if I'm many miles from home and EFI goes out then it be a one way trip to dealership. Thats what I heard

3 & 5 TC are not fixable internally also I'm told. Engine parts can be found through S & S for an EVO. Not a big power guy just as long as its mechanically sound and drives good I'm ok with less power.

4 Good point, I was think as last resort I can get it painted the way I want if I cant find one in my color.

I'd rather be able to work on my own bike than shell extra money for someone else to do it.

Your first mistake was listening to any "old biker" for advice on buying a bike. Many old bikers are resistant to change and will give you piss poor advice.

While it is true that the EVO is a better made engine than the TCs, unless you get a lemon, the TCs are very reliable. And if something should happen, there are plenty of indy mechanics that are more than capable of working on it.

As Dickey said, I don't know anyone who has had any issues with their EFI on a Harley. Running away from an EFI sounds like more stubborn and jealous advice that one should expect from crochety old bikers.

While old bikers have valuable advice for many things...if they are riding an old bike, their opinion on TCs is most likely not to be valued.

You're likely to find a very nice 02-06 RK for 9k-10k.

Good luck with the hunt.

Campy Roadie 03-07-2015 04:08 AM

Get yourself an 02 or 03 Road King and be done with it. I have a FI Road King and a carbed Super Glide. If you're gonna haul the wife around more than once a year get the King, there's a reason it's called the "Road King".

As far as fuel injection? Next time someone says "It'll leave you stranded", ask them to explain how Kehin CV carburetor works. When they can't describe for you the concept of differential air pressure and the venturi effect, tell them to stick to something they know. For general ridabilty, Delphi fuel injection is hard to beat.

Now somebody pointed put before the MM FI is NOT good. That is some good Intel right there. I don't remember off hand what year they changed but I'd take a look at a RK with forged crank (99 to 03 I think). Replace the tensioners and cam bearings and you're good to go.

dickey 03-07-2015 04:33 AM

Not true. Almost anyone can tune an EFI nowadays with a piggyback type tuner & a laptop. There are guys that tune their own bikes, but can't change their oil or sparkplugs. No problem if something goes wrong, which it usually doesn't.

Again not true. Dunno who you're asking, but my TC has been apart twice; once to reseal the cases, & one for some mods like cams. I know a lot of things can't be repaired nowadays, like plasma TVs & such, but Harleys ain't one of them. AND...while some aftermarket parts are available for Evo motors, you will have a hard time finding things like sheet metal, switches seats,electrical stuff, trim,hardware,even turn signal lenses (ask me how I know THAT one!) I know a guy who waited 1 1/2 years for a MM fuel pump, and another who still can't find certain brake components for his Evo heritage. And...why settle for less power when you can have more for the same $$?

While it is true that the EVO is a better made engine than the TCs

Again...I have had several of each, & I can tell you...Evos are great motors, but they had their share of problems, too. Evos up to '92 had problems with cases cracking around the lifter blocks for no reason, hot motors would kick back when starting & take out the starter & starter drive, the drive train wasn't as stable because the engine & tranny weren't bolted together, they vibrated like a paint shaker at Lowe's,they've been know to break cases at the motor mounts, and they leaked or wept practically every where 2 pieces of metal came together. Sometimes they came out of the factory with porous cases; the oil would actually leak through the metal. And stock, they were dogs outta the hole. Also, remember something else. During the Evo days, almost no one had internet, so you didn't hear or read about all the problems they were having. Neither my TC's OR my Evos gave me many problems, & any I had weren't serious or engine related. AND...many dealerships won't even work on Evos; you're stuck going to an indy, and many just aren't up to the standards of dealerships.

What Colorido said was correct--bikers are generally a conservative, old skool bunch who don't readily embrace new ideas. I'm the worst of the bunch. Back in '05 when I had my carbed NightTrain, you couldn't GIVE me a touring bike with EFI. But, after owning several EFI bikes, I don't think I could go back. I DO miss the sound, however.

She is notorious for not forgetting something I did wrong. Loves to throw it in my face many months later.

That's one thing I absolutely HATE & will not tolerate from a woman; it seems they must bitch & get mad, otherwise they will back up & explode. AND...if you haven't done anything to make them mad at you lately, they will pick something you did last week,month,year,decade,century,whatever, & throw it in your face, just so they can start a fight. One of the reasons my last GF dumped me--when the mouth started bitchin' I said "C YA" & went home.

big papa AZ 03-07-2015 06:14 AM

Reading this post has me hearing banjos playing... WTF?

Iron lHorse 03-07-2015 06:41 AM

Well this is the site you should be on to fined that bike. Nationalpowersports.net
I think you will like it good luck . There's 4 blue RKs under 9 grand and they ship bikes cheap to.

Emil Wide Glide 03-07-2015 06:43 AM

You may want to consider a Dyna Wide Glide. I have on '06. It seems roomier than the other Dynas of that generation.

I put a Mustang seat and a Memphis Shades Drop Top windshield on mine. I have ridden 8 hours in one day and felt fine afterwards.

I would pick a 2007 or 2008 for the following reasons.

In '06 the bike received a major re-design that improved the chassis and suspension. It also added a 6 speed transmission. The 6 speed is notorious for having problems that first year and I experienced the problem. Harley actually replaced the trans for a $100 administrative fee. (That is one reason Harley riders keep buying Harleys - customer support)

In '07 the TC88 was replaced with a TC96.

Best wishes in your search.

davidc 03-07-2015 07:14 AM

Looks like you listen to allot of bad advice from so called "old bikers" who are afraid of what they don't know..
Sounds like you really can't afford one anyway if you need your woman's income to pay for it... Your relationship goes south and your without a bike, seen that before she'll either sell it or be riding on it with her new man :icon_fryingpan:

davidc 03-07-2015 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by big papa AZ (Post 13779662)
Reading this post has me hearing banjos playing... WTF?

Same here... :icon_screwy:

Tee&Vee 03-07-2015 07:26 AM

I think the leather bags only came on the rkc. I also think this is sold as the flhrc-i which came out in 1998 so your ninety seven cut off year will not yield your search results. The classic is, could be wrong, a fuel injected only model.