General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are these antique bikes worth? 1925 HD Pic HEAVY!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts
Default What are these antique bikes worth? 1925 HD Pic HEAVY!

I recently went to see some bikes that are for sale.
Without saying what the guy wants for them, so as not to put a number in your heads, what do you think these bikes are worth?
Looking for ballpark figures from those who know classic bikes.
I'm seriously consider buying the 1925 HD

Sorry for the bad pics, but I took them quickly, and my crummy camera didn't help.
Also, the pics do make the bike look a little better than it does in person.

The first one is a 1925 Harley model JD.
The bike looks like it was restored in the 80's probably, but it's pretty much all there, in non running condition.
The owner said it would not take much to get it running again, as these old bikes are pretty simple machines.
It even has the original key!

Specifications: 24 horsepower, 74-cubic-inch, two-cylinder V-engine. Transmission: Three-speed chain drive. Cost new: $335.

I was surprised that the motor is a 74 CI! I noticed that the coils are not correct, and the cylinders should be nickle plated, not painted.
Other than that, the bikes looks to be pretty original.

The second bike is a late 40's Indian Chief, I love the patina on this bike!
Old and crusty, I would ride it just the way it is.
This one is a runner, and almost ready to ride as is.

I only took 3 shots of the Indian, as I was drooling over the 1925 HD!

So, what do you think guys, what's a fair price for these bikes??
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Ragtop; 04-18-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:38 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

The Harley as an original restored bike I'd go to about 27-30K on.
The Indian being original unrestored, if its all correct, 30-35K.
Neither one are that rare but those both look fairly nice.

Last edited by OldEnuf2NoBtr; 04-18-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:29 PM
TheMakani
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, two amazing pieces of history.
either one would be great

Old 04-18-2015, 07:44 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

So does he lock the garage Larry?? LOL...

Old 04-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

[/CENTER]
Originally Posted by riteway
So does he lock the garage Larry?? LOL...
Actually, he LIVES in the garage! His apt is right upstairs.
He has many other bikes, these are just the tip of the iceberg!

Old 04-18-2015, 10:06 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
The Harley as an original restored bike I'd go to about 27-30K on.
The Indian being original unrestored, if its all correct, 30-35K.
Neither one are that rare but those both look fairly nice.
Those are my numbers as well.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:42 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the 25 does not have in my opinion the correct ignition switch assembly - it does not have the speedo - cable or the rear \drive gear assembly - the not available distributor cap / and original ignition coil is missing ( extream money items ) it does have the later shovel coil - the horn and the seat are not correct as well and the seat T is also in question - some of the bolts are not correct and the fuel petcocks are wrong - the foot clutch might just be off if it but it does not have one in the picture

sure - it might not be a thing for you until you try and re sell it

The Indian chief is a 1946 / maybe 7 ( sportsman model my guess ) but it has a late 1948 production colors on it - its indian correct being right shift / heel to go with the clutch not toe to go like a harley - it looks to be left throttle right dist advance all indian correct -

it has harley type bags not correct chief big difference in cost / seat / and the seat T Bar is not indian its some kind of copy - the tool box is missing left side on the rear fender - the fuel filter and the correct lines from the tanks are missing it has rubber hose - the air filter is not the center screw type its a dealer add on from back in the day its a copy of the harley with the indian name on it - the carb should be # 346 and painted black - the HL does not look correct but i cant see the trim ring - front crash bar is a 46 chief type / rear is correct - floor boards with the metal is pre / post war add on dealer thing - the tail light lens looks to be a early re pop 60s

all in all they look like good projects but not worth the tall money some get for all correct

some could care less about all of that but caution if you are buying and you did not do your homework as its not my money

Last edited by johnjzjz; 04-27-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:16 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,199 Likes on 5,396 Posts

Believe it or not listed on NADA

1925 Harley-Davidson

JDCB TWIN 74ci

Excellent $33,280 Very Good $17,760 Good $11,240 Fair $8,670 Poor $6,345

Old 01-19-2016, 07:49 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the 25 does not have in my opinion the correct ignition switch assembly - it does not have the speedo - cable or the rear \drive gear assembly - the not available distributor cap / and original ignition coil is missing ( extream money items ) it does have the later shovel coil - the horn and the seat are not correct as well and the seat T is also in question - some of the bolts are not correct and the fuel petcocks are wrong - the foot clutch might just be off if it but it does not have one in the picture

sure - it might not be a thing for you until you try and re sell it

The Indian chief is a 1946 / maybe 7 ( sportsman model my guess ) but it has a late 1948 production colors on it - its indian correct being right shift / heel to go with the clutch not toe to go like a harley - it looks to be left throttle right dist advance all indian correct -

it has harley type bags not correct chief big difference in cost / seat / and the seat T Bar is not indian its some kind of copy - the tool box is missing left side on the rear fender - the fuel filter and the correct lines from the tanks are missing it has rubber hose - the air filter is not the center screw type its a dealer add on from back in the day its a copy of the harley with the indian name on it - the carb should be # 346 and painted black - the HL does not look correct but i cant see the trim ring - front crash bar is a 46 chief type / rear is correct - floor boards with the metal is pre / post war add on dealer thing - the tail light lens looks to be a early re pop 60s

all in all they look like good projects but not worth the tall money some get for all correct

some could care less about all of that but caution if you are buying and you did not do your homework as its not my money
I can't believe I totally missed your post on this. Very sorry that happened!
I'm still trying to buy the bikes, so just came back to this post.
Your detailed description on the missing parts is a goldmine of information.
I see you know your old bikes!
I'm very happy that you took the time to look them over, and give me the facts. Much appreciated!

Last edited by Ragtop; 01-19-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:05 PM
ccislander
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts

If you're looking for a bike to really put some miles on, the Indian would make a better choice. However, I'd suggest a range of $18K-$23K. There are a good number of late Chiefs around, in nicer condition, in the $22K-$25K range. You'll pay more for very correct restorations or original and correct bikes. If the tank badges are correct, this one appears to be a '47.
You can cruise all day long on this bike at 60mph smoothly and comfortably. And as far as dependability goes, I don't think twice about doing 500 mile days on mine. While some may say that you could do the same on the '25 J, the exposed intake valves and total loss oil system certainly require more routine maintenance.
Indian offered the option of RH or LH shift on these bikes and the clutch can easily be set up 'toe to go', like Harley's set up.
That '25 sure is cool, though! Make a deal on both!!

Quick Reply: What are these antique bikes worth? 1925 HD Pic HEAVY!