General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno or not?

Old 05-04-2015, 10:35 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Dyno or not?

Well I finally stepped out on that slippery slope on making performance changes to my bone stock Streetglide. I bought a performance 2 into 1 exhaust, the SEST Pro tuner, and the basic Stage 1 air cleaner kit.
I think I know the answers I will see here but will ask any way. With no other mods to be made, can I find a canned map that will meet 98% of my needs or must I submit my 5 year old motor with 60k on the clock to the torture of the dynometer?
Thanks

Old 05-04-2015, 03:42 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Well I finally stepped out on that slippery slope on making performance changes to my bone stock Streetglide. I bought a performance 2 into 1 exhaust, the SEST Pro tuner, and the basic Stage 1 air cleaner kit.
I think I know the answers I will see here but will ask any way. With no other mods to be made, can I find a canned map that will meet 98% of my needs or must I submit my 5 year old motor with 60k on the clock to the torture of the dynometer?
Thanks
A dyno will almost always improve performance, but with the minor changes you made and having the tuner, I say no. If you had done a cam, heads, or a big bore, then yes but your set up is minor and a dyno will help, but for the cost, it won't make enough difference to make it worth the cost. Others will say heck yes and they aren't necessarily wrong, but you aren't going to get much more out of it than the tuner can give you.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:49 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

My thoughts exactly Roadking. I am not looking for hot numbers, just giving back the engine what the EPA took away. Now where do I get the map? I think some may come with the tuner software but not sure.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:10 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Alot of guys do work to their motors and leave alot on the table. The don't know where they started at, and where they are now. What I'm talking about is did they gain power, keep it the same, or actually loose some ?. How would they know without having it dynoed? Granted the changes you plan on making won't make it a crotch rocket, but if you can make it run the best that it can, why not?. And have proof the money you spent did something.,,

Old 05-04-2015, 06:38 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm kinda new to tuners and such but from what I've seen and read, other than the tuners that self-tune while riding, having a tuner without getting it fine tuned is like buying a computer and never downloading updates. You'll never see it's full potential. Sure, you may get lucky and the bike run just perfect for your tastes. But it's not running at what is best for the bike itself.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:49 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Strangely enough I can relate to this having just dyna's today!

My canned map with auto-tune was pretty close on the numbers end. The dyno definitely yielded some results on the nice chart. But how often do you ride with your throttle wide open?

The biggest difference for me riding the 100 miles home today was from light to light and low rpm riding. Previously it was pretty jerky, completely fixed now with the hands of a professional. It feels a little smoother in the mid range as well. A more refined ride would be the best way to put it.

All that being said, when I first put my tuner on the bike the difference from stock to canned map was also enormous, so maybe just go with that for a bit and then see how you feel. I'd also mention that We made quite a few changes to the VE's which Hopefully will make the engine more efficient. I was fine with the canned map until I replaced my cams then thought this would be nice.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Wheels24
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With just an exhaust and air cleaner I'm not sure I'd spend the money on a dyno tune...and I'm a huge dyno fan. We've seen plenty of people bolt on 'performance' parts, load a map (or rejet a carb...or not) and call it a tune...but like someone else said, they're not getting their full money's worth. Not sure where to find a canned map, but someone on here will surely point you in the right direction. Welcome to the addiction...I see a cam in your future... Dyno torture? Not sure I know what you mean. If an engine can't take a few runs at WOT through the gears on a dyno, then it's not what I'd ride on the street...or anywhere. Don't let it bother you.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Yes, dyno is the best way to go. It gets dialed in correctly.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:20 PM
sdf1201
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 72 made 60 something hp with a map I thought was great. No flat spots, idled good, and ran good in general. I had it Dyno tuned anyways and there was a world of difference. Find a good Dyno guy and get it to them if funds allow.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:45 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Well, we need more info:

Is the A/C and exhaust Screamin' Eagle? If not, then, no, a canned map will NOT get you to 98% of what you can get with a dyno tune.

Here's the basic question: Let's assume you spent around $800 for the 2-1 exhaust, plus $200 for the A/C, and $450 for the SEPST plus cables. That's over $1,500 with tax.

Why did you spend all that money to NOT GET the best performance you can get?? At the very least, learn to do a Smart Tune with the SEPST, or have a tech do it for you. My dealer will do it for two hours labor.

Bottom line, I would strongly suggest a dyno tune from a qualified tech.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyno or not?