General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 10:49 PM
mforbush
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible oil leak

Hey guys first timer here. Please bare with me. I have been around HD most of all my life. Since I was 12 yrs old and til now as of 63 yrs old. Have had my share of pan heads and shovel heads. Built a lot of the engines myself and afterwards ran great for years but I have a problem. Maybe someone out there can help me. I have a 02 soft tail with a 96 cubic inch ultima motor. Has a lot of power no matter the gear your in. Sounds like a dragster going down the track. When it backs of it has its own sound that's unreal. Runs 2inch drag pipes. here's the deal. Lately when I go out for a ride not matter if its an easy one or getting on it hard. When I get home there is oil on the rear fins and the front fins just above where the head bolts onto the jug. I thought it might have been the exhaust so I put new exhaust gaskets in. While putting in the new gaskets took my finger and examined the exhaust ports. No oil in the ports just normal exhaust suit no oil in the pipes or the plugs. Checked for rocker box gasket leaks. No oil around the rocker box or on top or below the fins. Put it on a lift checked for head gasket leaks no oil around the head gaskets or on the fins below the head gaskets or around the head gaskets. Pulled breather cover off checked to see if oil on breather or the backing plate of the breather none. Checked around the breathing tube none. Talked to mechanics at the HD shop and they don't know what it could be. The motor runs strong normal noises. Starts ever time it acts like it wants to run forever. Im just stumped what might be causing the oil spray on the 3 fins above the head. Not a lot of oil but you can tell its there. I have checked the backing plate to the carb no oil. The way it backs off could it be to much pressure forcing oil out of somewhere. Or should I go with bigger pipes. If some one has an opinion let me know cause it is driving me nuts.

Thanks
Mike

Old 06-15-2015, 07:41 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Check the rubber boot on your clutch cable,Could be your tranny vent is stopped up and forcing trans.oil up through your cable

Old 06-15-2015, 08:44 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

i've seen fork seals leaking and grease from the triple trees blowing back on the engine making it apear to have a leak. just saying, anything is possible.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:18 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
i've seen fork seals leaking and grease from the triple trees blowing back on the engine making it apear to have a leak. just saying, anything is possible.
Happened to me. I swore I had a leaking timing cover. Turned out it was a leaking fork seal. Clean everything up, then watch carefully.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:24 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could it be gas. A buddy of mine had a tank leaking. He thought it was oil. Couldn't find the oil leak turned out to be gas leaking from a seem.