General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Softail vs 2013 Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:21 PM
TacticalZL1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Softail vs 2013 Wide Glide " Need Help Please" Newbie

Everyone,

I am new to the forum and looking to purchase either a 2009 Softail Night Train or a 2013 Dyna Wide Glide. They both have less than 2k miles on them. I am trying to figure out which is the better bike.

What are some of the pro's and con's?

Sorry, I am pretty new to all this and looking for some help.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by TacticalZL1; 07-11-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:30 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

Ride them. Similar styles bar bike look. Dyna will probably handle a little better but if you need handling, get a Sport bike. If you push either to a fine edge, you won't last long out there on either. Softail is probably a tad lower. I personally like being able to see out my mirrors at a stop light and got the Softail. Softail has just a tad of harshness (solid mounted engine) when you start it and driving down the road. It actually not noticeable unless you ride both regularly. Either bike has the early bugs worked out. Take what looks good on you. That 2009 Softail Night Train was a masterpiece for Harley. I'm running stock takeoff exhaust off one and my windshield came off a Anniversary Wideglide

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-13-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:29 PM
TacticalZL1
2nd Gear

Yes, I am going to ride them both, but wondering if one is better than the other and why.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:45 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Whether one is better than the other would be a matter of opinion.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:09 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

The Train might have a better resale down the road as they don't make it anymore. If your not into a blacked out bike the WG might be a better choice. I'd go with the Train just because I'm a Softail guy but you can't go wrong with either.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:49 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,340 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Default Very well said...

The below was perfectly stated... Both are great bikes - similar but not the same. My personal bump would be for the newer biker A) Its newer, B) It has the 103.... The softail is a real sweet ride... No wrong choices here, just personal preference

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Ride them. Similar styles bar bike look. Dyna will probably handle a little better but if you need handling, get a Sport bike. If you push either to a fine edge, you won't last long out there on either. Softail is probably a tad lower. I personally like being able to see out my mirrors at a stop light and got the Softail. Softail has just a tad of harshness (solid mounted engine) when you start it and driving down the road. It actually not noticeable unless you ride both regularly. Either bike has the early bugs worked out. Take what looks good on you. That 2009 Softail Night Train was a masterpiece for Harley. I'm running stock takeoff exhaust off one and my windshield came off a Wideglide

Old 07-13-2015, 08:42 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts

Plenty of threads on Dyna vs. Softail.

The condensed version: The Dyna in general handles better, but the biggest difference is the engine in the Dyna is unbalanced and rubbermounted, and the Softail has a solid mounted and balanced motor.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:48 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,111 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Biggest difference in my view....a Softail...you sit lower. You sit "in" the bike.
A Dyna...you sit higher, you sit "on top of" the bike.

Visually, of course they look different...the Softail has the rear end of the frame that has that "hard tail" look. The Dyna...some people can't stand the looks of the rear shocks, saying it looks like an old Honda.

Ride quality wise....some riders say the Dyna chassis is better for 2-up riding, less bottoming out. Dunno if 2-up riding is a concern of yours.

If you like to ride faster through the twisties, the Dyna is a bit more sporting in how it handles, and can do the twisties a bit better. Truth is though, the Softail can do twisties better than most people can ride it anyways...so that debate is really moot "in the real world".

Some people say the Softail isn't good for long rides. Yet I have a good buddy that literally rides his old Evo based softail from coast to coast every single year...New England...to Florida....to west coast...and then back to New England...and repeats every year.

I know plenty of people that put serious long road trips on their Softails all the time. IMO....it's all up to how you position the bars, the seat you have, and your foot control setup. No matter what bike you have.

Engine smoothness...ehh....I don't think there's a heck of any difference, anything newer is way smoother than my Shovel. But I don't care about smoothness anyways, else I'd have gotten a Honda Goldwing sewing machine. Plus women love the "Milwaukee vibrator!'

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 07-13-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:39 PM
TacticalZL1
2nd Gear

Thanks everyone for some great information.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:29 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TacticalZL1
Yes, I am going to ride them both, but wondering if one is better than the other and why.
Have you had a chance for a test ride yet? The decision should be pretty easy after that, as most riders prefer one or the other.

Quick Reply: 2009 Softail vs 2013 Wide Glide