General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Riding Around Wilmington, NC??

Old 07-20-2015, 10:23 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Good Riding Around Wilmington, NC??

I am of "a certain age" and am starting to think about places that might be good for retirement. One of the places my wife and I are talking about is Wilmington, NC. But I have been spoiled living in Northern Virginia. Within 15 minutes I am on the winding roads of Virginia horse country and in 45 minutes I am in the Blue Ridge mountains in Virginia, with the great twisty mountain roads of West Virginia just beyond. I looked at the map of NC and it is a LONG way to the mountains from Wilmington--maybe 5 hours--so the kind of day trips I am used to now look like overnights or longer.

What I am wondering is whether, aside from heading to the mountains, there are good scenic roads (twisties preferable) near Wilmington that are good for dayrides. I've ridden the coast roads and they are pretty, but also flat and straight. Thoughts or experiences?

Old 07-20-2015, 11:23 AM
mountainpharm
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived Wilmington for 7 years and there isn't much around in my opinion. Everything is flat and straight. The ride up Hwy 12 on the Outer Banks is nice but even that will require an overnight stay. If you're looking for anything with curves or topography, you're at least 6 hours away.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:41 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Ah yes!! Some good ridin' around Wilmington, NC. The wife and I head there several times a year. You can ride US117 up thru Castle Hayne and on up toward Rocky Mount.Be sure and avoid the interstate and just look for minor side roads. You can also go out NC55 toward Oriental and cross over to Lake Mattamuskeet on US264. From there on to Manns Harbor. Any ride down US17 is good until they get all of it 4 laned.
Be best to get a map and plan out routes for side rides.
On the Dyna forum you could ask Robby13 about rides around Williamston.
We make that trip several times a year as well.
Always try to ride US13 near Goldsboro.Everytime we're down that way, we get a show of a couple throttle jockeys in F15s or F/A 18 Hornets. Always a good show!!!
Just about any road you pick out will have great ridin"!!!

Old 07-20-2015, 07:55 PM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,601 Likes on 424 Posts

ICW ( by boat )

Old 07-20-2015, 08:21 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badbagger
ICW ( by boat )
Now you're talking.
Hey man if you like to ride in the foothills etc, you will not be too impressed with eastern NC. Don't get me wrong I have lived here most of my life but mountains and big rolling hills do not exist in the coastal plains of NC. There are hundreds of miles of some pretty cool roads to ride in their own respect. Best thing t do is come down and spend a week riding it out. You'll see some great riding but no rolling hills and mountain views like Northern VA.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:04 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

I have lived in the mountains all of my 60 + years. It is nice to get away for some different rides. I have never had a bad ride in ENC. ('cept for some storms)
Tired of the BRP, able to ride it at will and any other mtn roads.
Eastern TN is great, as well.
Guess it is all about perspective, huh?
Can't see the forest for the trees.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:18 PM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

We just spent a week in Richlands, which is about an hour NE of Wilmington. We stopped in to a bike shop and they said to just get lost. Which we did. Lots of roads, in great condition. There just isn't much to see. We rode a bunch of roads between Cedar Island and Charlotte, almost up to Raleigh, and after the 3rd day, everything started looking the same. Don't get me wrong, I love the rural setting and minimal traffic, but there is better riding further west in the state.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:35 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks, guys, kind of what I thought. Although I really likes this road up to the Cedar Island Ferry a few years ago.