General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floorboards Down this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:25 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,340 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Default Floorboards Down this weekend

Maybe its just me thinking out loud and needed a place to put this... This week last year I lost my best friend Mike to cancer. Mike was 51, we met 1st day of kindergarten.. Growing up we went thru EVERYTHING together, I introduced him to his 1st wife, the loss of his kid brother and everything in between. He was my first guitar teacher and most important in 1977, Mike taught me how to ride my first bike with a clutch, a Honda CB125. His neighbor had 2 bikes - an early 70s Honda 750-4 and a beat to death Knucklehead that was being restored. The Honda (back then) was the bomb... When the Knuck was restored, I was asked if I wanted to kick it over.. After 10 tries, it was the first time I fired up an HD and I was hooked right then...

Anyway, I know Mike is having a great ride with some great people this weekend. Mike, I'll have my rear boards down for ya if you want to hop on..

Miss ya brother...

The following 4 users liked this post by uncle kebo:
0488FB (06-28-2017), AJSHOVEL (06-28-2017), FredCa (06-28-2017), Sid1200 (06-27-2017)
Old 07-29-2015, 09:39 AM
13RoadGlider
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome post!

Old 07-29-2015, 10:40 AM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 13RoadGlider
Awesome post!

Ditto.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:11 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Man I know your pain... Lost my best friend Wayne to Leukemia, we did everything together, HD riding, snow skiing, golfing and girl chasing in our early days.

Someone said this when he died, "The saddest moment is when the person who gave you the best memories, becomes a memory."

My wife and I toast him on our first cocktail every weekend, this weekend we'll toast your friend Mike also.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:36 PM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Mike sounds like he was one of the good guys.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:46 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,340 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Default Thanks Guys

Originally Posted by JimmyDee
Man I know your pain... Lost my best friend Wayne to Leukemia, we did everything together, HD riding, snow skiing, golfing and girl chasing in our early days.

Someone said this when he died, "The saddest moment is when the person who gave you the best memories, becomes a memory."

My wife and I toast him on our first cocktail every weekend, this weekend we'll toast your friend Mike also.
Ill bang a glass for Wayne too this weekend
And yes, Mike was one of the good guys... We were friends for 47 years and never had a mild disagreement. Thanks for the kind words..

Old 06-26-2017, 10:31 PM
Daprez1963
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I had a best friend like that... truth is I can't seem to get attached to anyone long enough. Not a trusting person. It's something I know I need to fix but there is only one person I do trust, it's my wife. A side from her, my bike is the only other thing important to me... therapeutic and all... I can imagine losing someone like that but I am too old to get anywhere close to the one you had. I consider all my bikers friends brothers... just don't have that special one... anyways, sorry for your loss. I bet there are some awesome curvy roads in heaven. I just hope I am not headed towards the highway to hell when it's my turn to saddle up.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:10 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I have had cancer (Hodgkin's Lymphoma) four freakin' times. I have sat in treatment centers and Chemo rooms more times than I ever want to remember, and have watched some of God's greatest creations taken from this earth for reasons I will never understand. If I learned anything from this voyage, it's that once a person is gone, the only thing they will ever have left, is what friends and family remember about them. Godspeed your lifelong pal..... and as long as he is still alive in your heart, he is still alive in this world.

The following 2 users liked this post by bikerlaw:
0488FB (06-28-2017), AJSHOVEL (06-28-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 11:46 PM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 115 Posts

Lifelong friends are rare. You had one and sounds like a good one.

Sorry for your loss. Godspeed to Mike.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:42 PM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 608 Likes on 309 Posts

Uncle Kebo,

Great tribute to Mike. Your post is a welcome break in my day. Thank you for sharing something special. Makes me want to touch base with some of my old childhood friends.

​​

Quick Reply: Floorboards Down this weekend