General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:35 PM
KevQuinn12
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider needs advice

Hey all,

I'm 25 and brand new to motorcycles. I've been looking into getting my license, and researching different bikes. I'm interested in taking a solo cross-country trip next summer, and I was looking to get some more expert opinions as to which steed I should choose for my journey. Right off the bat, some people have told me to get a touring bike, but I have plans of using it regularly when the trip is complete and I would rather not have a bulkier bike.

Any advice that you're willing to share would be helpful. Any resources you think I should check out are welcomed as well. I hope that as my experience with motorcycles grows, that I'll be able to be a contributor here and not just a leech!!

Thanks!
Kevin

Old 07-31-2015, 01:06 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,383 Likes on 4,119 Posts

"Brand new to motorcycles" and "taking a solo cross-country trip next summer."

I wish you luck but you have to realize that sounds like - I've never even been on a farm before but I'm planning on entering the Professional Bull Rider's circuit next summer. Lol.

Seriously, start slow and small and LEARN your skills. You'll be able to judge for yourself after you have some experience. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:25 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Never ridden a motorcycle? Personally, without knowing more and assuming you are not an exception to the general rule, my thoughts:
1) Don't learn to ride on a Harley - if you really want to learn to ride well, get a dirt bike or a smallish dual purpose bike and ride in the dirt
2) Riding across the country, especially for a beginner, is not gonna be comfortable unless you are on a touring oriented bike
3) why buy an expensive bike as a first bike? you may not like it, and you've invested big time
4) why learn to ride on an expensive bike? Learn on a cheapo, then get the expensive bike
5) is the OP a troll?

Old 07-31-2015, 01:33 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree 100% with the above statements. You're biting off more than you can chew right now. Plan on getting a smaller bike to learn and refine your skills with the intent and understanding that you will trade-up for bigger. Cross-country is a silly place to master road skills.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:37 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Dirt and street riding require 2 different skill sets.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:44 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Take a Basic Rider Course and get your license. Go to your local dealer and rent different bikes until you find one that you are comfortable with.

Many people took cross country trips, myself included, before touring bikes were the norm. Any bike is a touring bike. If you have a dependable motorcycle, you can travel on it.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:44 PM
Bigbob88
Tourer

Start with a lightweight bike and work your way up to a heavyweight like a Harley. These heavy Harley's have a mind of their own if you don't know how to handle them.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:08 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Excellent advice so far. Haste makes waste bro. Take your time and just learn to ride and enjoy riding. You don't have to go far to enjoy a ride. My buddies first manual shift motorcycle (first motorcycles were scooters) was a Honda shadow. He rode that for two years and this year he bought a brand new Kawasaki Vulcan C with ABS. It's a 650 engine that's wicked fast but also light, midsize, and easy to handle. Taking a MSF course and focusing on developing your skills are only things your should be thinking about right now. The rest will come later. Good luck

Old 07-31-2015, 02:14 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

by the time he is ready to take his trip, he'll have over a year of experience. it isn't like he is just picking up the bike and going to break it in on his trip.

speaking of which, i remember a thread on adv riders where a guy, having never ridden a motorcycle, goes out, buys a new road king, and then rides cross country and down through south america. now that was taking a huge bite

Old 07-31-2015, 02:16 PM
SansNoob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Dirt and street riding require 2 different skill sets.
I disagree, sure there are certain issues with each that the other does not have BUT there is still HUGE overlap.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

Even bolder, and some will snort at what I type, you can better learn about counter steering on a mountain bike than on a motorcycle. You can actually "wipe out" on purpose while counter steering a MTB. You can teach yourself exactly how things work this way without more than a few scrapes and bruises. You gonna do that on the street on a motorcycle?

FYI, I've had my motorcycle license since 1976, currently I am 53 years old, AND did not take up MTB'ing till I was in my early 40's.

PS: OP'er, your taking on too much IMO. Hate to brake it to ya, but others are giving you good advice.

Quick Reply: New rider needs advice