Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   CB not working, need advice. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1065221-cb-not-working-need-advice.html)

C908 08-12-2015 08:53 PM

CB not working, need advice.

I bought my 2010 Ultra new and have never used the CB. I decided to try it just for fun but I couldn't get it to work. The only thing it will do is tell you if the CB is on or off. I get no response from the squelch switch or the PTT switch. Is there anyway for the dealer to do a diagnostic check on it ? The only thing I'm wondering is if the guy that installed my bars could of maybe left it disconnected behind the fairing. I really hate taking the front of my fairing off but unless I can figure out the problem I may have to. Any ideas ? Thanks.

oct1949 08-13-2015 09:45 AM

is there an easy way to check the antenna to make sure its hooked up...?

C908 08-13-2015 10:38 AM

I just put my tour pack back on so I'm certain the antenna is hooked up. I'm really thinking I'm going to hava to pull the front of the fairing off to see if the CB and antenna is connected there. If it is then I'm at a total loss to what the problem might be.

LQQK_OUT 08-13-2015 11:06 AM

Here is something to check. Make sure the CB antenna is mounted on the right side of the tour-pak and the AM/FM antenna is on the left side. The two antennas are different. When I purchased my 2011 Ultra my CB didn't work either and I noticed that the antennas were installed in the wrong place.

tOSUSteve 08-13-2015 11:58 AM

When you say squelch isn't working, do you mean that when you press the switch, squelch does not even appear on the radio? I'm thinking either the switch is bad or CB is not connected or damaged.

C908 08-13-2015 10:11 PM

The only thing I recall seeing on my screen is CB on and intercom on. The only thing I noticed when wearing the headset was I could hear more engine noise. I also noticed the volume on my MP3 player wouldn't play as loud while the intercom was on. Somebody mentioned checking to see if the antenna's were switched. Would the AM/FM play if the antenna's were switched ? My earlier comment was when I pressed the squelch buttom up or down I didn't notice anything. Also when I pressed the PTT switch I didn't notice anything. I was at my local dealer today but didn't have the bike with me. They told me I need to bring my bike in so we can try the CB with another bike that has a CB. They said the range of bike CB's is only about a mile. Since I was trying mine with no other bikes around that could be the problem. I would of thought I could of picked up a truckers signal when I was out on the highway.

C908 08-13-2015 10:55 PM

Is there any kind of marking on the antenna,s to tell you which is which ? For some reason I'm not finding it in the service manual. Thanks

LQQK_OUT 08-14-2015 02:20 AM

The very bottom of the antenna by the base has a marking that says CB.
With the antennas switched, my radio did work, but the CB did not.
My CB range seems to be about 1/4 to 1/2 mile. I typically use the CB when I ride with friends when we take long trips to rally's or festivals. I've found it to be a useful tool. It's also interesting/funny to listen to the truckers.
As the dealer suggested, you really need to check/verify operation with another bike/CB that is located very close to you. Find a friend/biker with a CB.

Originally Posted by C908 (Post 14299311)
Is there any kind of marking on the antenna,s to tell you which is which ? For some reason I'm not finding it in the service manual. Thanks

C908 08-14-2015 06:57 AM

Checked my antenna's and they were in correct positions. I'm going to try and stop by my dealer today and test mine against another bike.

upflying 08-14-2015 11:12 AM

CB radio not working? Check the switch next to the cassette player and 8 track stereo. Breaker Breaker.