General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper braking what tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 09:04 PM
fnunez
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper braking what tips

What brakes so u guys use when coming to a stop? I use rear brake then I apply the front brake for a complete stop....what does everyone else use?

Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 PM
surf228
Stage III

I have always done front and then back once I slow down or if I need to stop quickly. But slamming the back breaks down can be a little squirley. LOL

Old 08-18-2015, 09:10 PM
fnunez
Advanced

Haha yea defiantly don't wanna slam on the brakes!

Old 08-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Proper braking means using both front and rear. I let off of the rear when I put my feet down.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:26 PM
fnunez
Advanced

Yea same here when I come to a stop I'm jus using my front brake

Old 08-18-2015, 09:27 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Front and rear at the same time. Stop the bike, put my left foot down then my right foot off the rear brake and put my right foot down.

I just did the Ride Like a Pro class, we talked about braking after one of the riders only used his rear brake and it overheated and failed (dropped his bike). He told us he had never used his front brake. I don't understand how he rides a SG with only a rear brake but now I realize why he's locked up his brakes when I've ridden with him numerous times in the past. Scary ****.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:34 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,127 Likes on 11,097 Posts

I always use both when coming to stop. Exceptions are slippery surfaces when you want more rear brake and little or no front brake.
Front does 70 or 80 percent of your stopping power.
If you get in the habit of only using rear brake you will increase your chance of crashing from a locked rear wheel.

Last edited by upflying; 08-18-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:42 PM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Front and rear at the same time. Stop the bike, put my left foot down then my right foot off the rear brake and put my right foot down.
Both brakes, if course, but unless I know its going to be long light, I only put my left foot down, and keep my foot on the brake. Am I the only one who does this? I'm 6' 3" on a Dyna, so I can stand on both feet and not even touch my bike. Keeping it up with one foot is no problem.

I guess I feel more ready to go, or emergency go, if I'm in that position. Right or wrong, I tend to use a wee bit of back brake for an instant when I start, kind of like friction zone slow speed. Just seems easier not to drop my right foot to the ground.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:42 PM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
I always use both when coming to stop. Exceptions are slippery surfaces when you want more rear brake and little or no front brake.
Front does 70 or 80 percent of your stopping power.
If you get in the habit of only using rear brake you will increase your chance of crashing from a locked rear wheel.
Or even worse not stopping in time. This is the correct answer even on a cruiser the vast majority of your stopping power is up front, as stated 70 to 80 percent.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:26 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Since this bike has ABS...and even though my last one didn't...I use both brakes all of the time. And probably my back brake more, since my leg pressure is more than my grip.

These bike are my first with front brakes. And I don't know how I did without them.

Quick Reply: Proper braking what tips