Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   (Lack of) Motorcycle Awareness Campaigns (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1066668-lack-of-motorcycle-awareness-campaigns.html)

Bluesrider.df 08-20-2015 02:02 PM

(Lack of) Motorcycle Awareness Campaigns

I've only been riding for a couple weeks. While I've always heard the "motorcycles are dangerous" mantra from non-riders, I never realized how often people driving cars "don't see" bikes, and how many and bikers get hurt or killed until I started reading this forum. Too many people have been lost!

We have public awareness campaigns for everything - bullying, drinking and driving, obesity, breast cancer, paper cuts (ok I exaggerate). I'm 49, been a cager for 31 years, and never, NEVER in my life have I seen an advertisement, public service announcement, etc. for motorcycle awareness. Ever. I'm pretty sure the non-riding public has no idea how often cars cause accidents with bikes. It seems like occasionally there's a localized campaign in some cities, but not much else to speak of.

In this day and age of social media, how hard (or expensive) would it be to get some provocative, attention-getting videos in front of the public? Between all the motorcycle & insurance co's, and co's making gear, why isn't there an advocacy group making some noise?

Would it make riding 100% safe? Of course not. But it could help significantly. I don't have any answers folks, I'm just venting.

Redoilokie 08-20-2015 02:07 PM

Before this is over, you're going to hear from several people telling you that every motorcycle accident is 100% preventable by the rider.

I wish you luck in your venture, but ultimately I agree with them. The first time I threw a leg over, I knew what the risks were. I'm still willing to accept that risk. It's on me.

Bluesrider.df 08-20-2015 02:15 PM

The thread by BCKNBLK, who's friend (an MSF instructor) was killed, is what prompted me to get on my high horse. Unless we're going to go through every intersection at 15mph where there's an approaching car, for example, I don't see how the rider has the ability to prevent every accident.

I got into this with my eyes open, I know it is risky, and I know I have a lot of skills to learn to try and tilt the odds in my favor. It would just be nice not to have 2,000 pound machines coming at us like in Frogger.

Redoilokie 08-20-2015 02:19 PM

Fair enough. Don't say I didn't warn you though. :icon_toast:

Ron750 08-20-2015 02:19 PM

I don't think it would help much. I am an optometrist. You wouldnt believe how many drivers can't see period, even if they were looking.
Just ride like you're invisible. And assume Mr. Magoo is driving.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8GTHXTEvIc&sns=em

1Sparks 08-20-2015 02:23 PM

I see helmet and bike awareness PSAs (public service announcements) on tv regularly

Tampa Fatboy 08-20-2015 02:25 PM

Sell the scoot and move on to something else.

Fatboy1389 08-20-2015 02:27 PM

Atlanta now has several electronic signs that change messages ...I was pleasantly surprised to see one last week that said ' Look Twice Save a Life - Motorcycles Are Everywhere'
I have the same bumper sticker on my pick up ....

Bluesrider.df 08-20-2015 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1Sparks (Post 14318814)
I see helmet and bike awareness PSAs (public service announcements) on tv regularly

TV viewership is down. People are cutting the cable TV/satellite service every month in droves.

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy (Post 14318819)
Sell the scoot and move on to something else.

It's not about me. but thanks for chiming in!

Sarah93003 08-20-2015 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fatboy1389 (Post 14318821)
Atlanta now has several electronic signs that change messages ...I was pleasantly surprised to see one last week that said ' Look Twice Save a Life - Motorcycles Are Everywhere'
I have the same bumper sticker on my pick up ....

I've been noticing similar signs in CA.