General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just To Perhaps Liven Things Up A Bit

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:42 AM
Unbalanced Bob
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I dig my Street Bob, right?

However, comparing it to my 1980 FXEF, I have a problem or two.

I always felt that I was riding in my FXEF.

My Street Bob, now, I'm always feeling that I'm on it, dig?

Also, if the valve train on my FXEF made noise like that, it was panic time, as in "the top end ain't oiling"!

Discuss, you *****.

P.S. AMF wasn't really that bad, now, was it?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-30-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:59 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,145 Likes on 6,211 Posts
Default Just To Perhaps Liven Things Up A Bit

I take it you skipped the Evo era?

Old 08-30-2015, 01:12 AM
Unbalanced Bob
Banned

Originally Posted by Prot
I take it you skipped the Evo era?
Admittedly, I wouldn't know an Evo engine from a can of beer. I've read that they were the best engine Harley ever made. I plead ignorance, though, having never ridden one.

This one isn't mine, as I can't find any extant photos of such:

Back then, the 80 cubes weren't necessary; 74 would do fine. What's with all this big-inch s__t? 96, 103, 110, blow me, please. Too many cubes, man, it makes them overheat. You know I'm right. Selah.

Well, I've already done this photo, but let me further explain that this is me replacing a turn signal bulb on my 1980 FXEF. Back then, it was a simple operation. Good thing, too, as I was generally too drunk to place a carrot in a washtub without f__ing things up.

No LED and voltage variance involved.

Edit: That's a very old photo, and I'm all better now:

BTW, I had a tough interim period between bikes. Don't let my opinion influence you excessively.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-30-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:26 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,145 Likes on 6,211 Posts

Buy a softail. Even they are computerized twin cams, the frame design should still make you feel like you are sitting in the bike.

I have never ridden a twin cam and a few days ago I sat on the first twin cam in my life. It was a leftover 2015 Wide Glide in Morocco Gold. I did not start it though. It certainly felt strangely light compared to my 95 Heritage.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:27 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Bob,
All you need to do is get a 1 or 2" tank lift for your SB and you`ll feel like you did back then.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:21 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,899 Likes on 17,470 Posts

Bro you are preaching to the choir here and 90% of this place has no reference point much less a clue what the past was like particularly the shovel days. Most can just regurgitate stories they heard or read 3rd and 4th hand at best. I'm just now warming up the the idea of of MAYBE getting an evo if I can find a decent FXR or RT some tool hasn't SOA'ed the hell out of.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:54 PM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,892 Likes on 1,118 Posts

agreed!!
having owned a few shovels, a dozen evos, and some twin cams, and even a "revolution", I'm looking for a pan or shovel and plan on getting rid of my TC fatboy.

I love the push a button and go and minimal need for wrenching, but nothing rides like old iron. Maybe when the kids get a little older and I'm back to riding 20k a year or more, I'll get back on a TC (or whatevers new). But for now I'm feeling nostalgic

Old 08-31-2015, 07:12 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,545 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Also, if the valve train on my FXEF made noise like that, it was panic time, as in "the top end ain't oiling"!

I've owned a pan with solid lifters, 2 shovels, 2 Evos and the current TwinCam. Now I really can't knock a 'Twinkie' that's given me 151,000 almost trouble free miles but I will say that this current bike mechanically has the noisiest top end of any Harley I've ever owned, particularly with a windshield installed. In cool summertime mornings, it reminds me of my Evo. In the hotter afternoons, I'm convinced its going to grenade at the next stop light. But it just doesn't blow up. It just takes me home and we do it all over again the next day.

I know what you're sayin' though.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:33 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,130 Likes on 1,501 Posts

The twinkies with the pee water oil, especially that synthetic stuff...them tops are clackity chatty as heck. When I had my '06 twinkie street box....I tried synthetic once...inside of a month I drained that pee water and went back to thicker dyno oil. Ahhhhhh...sounded much better. Harleys are low tech engines, low rpm, not tight tolerances..don't need that synthetic pee water. Sound much better with thicker dino oil. Change it at regular intervals and they last just as long.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:07 PM
Unbalanced Bob
Banned

I still know how to adjust a carb, though:

Quick Reply: Just To Perhaps Liven Things Up A Bit