General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth vs. CB

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:17 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Bluetooth vs. CB

Has Harley started going to Bluetooth instead of CBs? I noticed the 2016 Road Glide Ultra doesn't have one. Previous models of the Road Glide Ultra did include the CB. Still haven't gotten comfortable with the Bluetooth. Just not sure about having that thing sitting next to my head all day.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,558 Likes on 729 Posts

Bluetooth is a short range communication protocol that has an extremely limited range. It is not designed for long range communications and cannot replace CB radio due to it's limited power level and data processing structure.
http://www.bluair.pl/bluetooth-range

Old 09-10-2015, 10:56 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
Bluetooth is a short range communication protocol that has an extremely limited range. It is not designed for long range communications and cannot replace CB radio due to it's limited power level and data processing structure.
http://www.bluair.pl/bluetooth-range
Yeah that. Bluetooth has no where near the capability to replace CB. Whoever was in the focus group that lead them to drop the CB must have have been weekend Starbucks cruisers.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:47 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Why not a marriage of both CB & Bluetooth? Replace the CB mic with the Bluetooth head piece, have a button on the hand controls (for example) to press down on when talking as one would do with a CB mic.

Of course the Bluetooth head piece would need to have multiple and simultaneous connections to bind the devices. Settings could be changed via computer, smart phone, etc. for priority when connecting - phone call #1, CB #2, radio #3...

Old 09-11-2015, 04:54 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,342 Likes on 3,278 Posts

To me it all depends what the group you ride with uses most. I do like Bluetooth but it's a bit limited In range. I don't mind the cord, wireless isn't that a big deal to me.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:11 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Yeah that. Bluetooth has no where near the capability to replace CB. Whoever was in the focus group that lead them to drop the CB must have have been weekend Starbucks cruisers.
It is ONLY a Road Glide Ultra. If they come out with a Road Glide Ultra Limited, then it will have the CB.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:12 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Is the Bluetooth more limited in range than the Harley CB? I can get about a 1/4 of a mile of range out of mine if I'm lucky. A lot of the guys I ride with say the same thing. I didn't think Bluetooth would be more limiting than that.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:05 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by slowrollin
Is the Bluetooth more limited in range than the Harley CB? I can get about a 1/4 of a mile of range out of mine if I'm lucky. A lot of the guys I ride with say the same thing. I didn't think Bluetooth would be more limiting than that.
Bluetooth is not a replacement for the CB, and was never intended to be.

As mentioned, Bluetooth is a short range wireless communication protocol.
Think a phone or headset device pairing to your bike.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:12 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts

The most commonly used bluetooth transceivers have a range of 10 meters or 33 feet.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:49 AM
Andy02
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would venture to guess that HD is getting away from CB. While Bluetooth is more limited in range, it also doesn't have 4000 (number maybe exaggerated) people on every channel talking about lot lizards or speaking in bastardized Pashtun. Even most truckers that I know don't turn their CB's on anymore.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth vs. CB