General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which bike to choose? Total confusion.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 12:58 PM
RexD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which bike to choose? Total confusion.

Hi all,

I am searching for the right bike. It has proven to be a long process for me - and a process with twists and turns.

I could use a bit of input if some of you would take your time to share your insights and experience with the bikes below.

Right now, I'm torn between three bikes:
- Street Bob
- Breakout
- Slim S

I rode in and around the city to visit customers during the week. Occasionally I take 3-4 hour rides - and 3-4 hours back - to another part of our small country and once in a while I go on longer rides on the autobahn in Germany or the Swedish highways.

This means that I need a bike that I can throw up on the sidewalk on a corner in the center of the city. It should be agile in city traffic. And it should handle longer rides at higher speeds comfortably.

For these purposes, I have ruled out touring bikes and sportsters. I had thought for a long period of time that a v-rod would be my weapon of choices but I've grown so accustomed to Harley look and feel that I would miss that.

Here are my reflections on each of the three bikes:

STREET BOB
I've ridden it with mini apes and mid mounts which did not feel right to me. However, the other day I sat on one with drag bars and forward controls and it felt real good. I would like it in traffic and backroads because I can throw it around like a sportster. However, judging from reviews, it appears that it is not quite as comfortable on longer rides as the softails.

BREAKOUT
I really like the wide rear tire and the riding position feels great when I sit on the bike. However, I would be real annoyed about scraping pegs all the time. I read in this forum that you get a lot more leaning angle when replacing the stock pegs with aftermarket pegs that don't have the peg feelers. I would be a bit worried, though, about what you scape when the peg feelers are gone. I like the looks of the breakout. What I don't care so much about is the lack of customization options compared to the Street Bob.

SLIM S
I've never ridden a slim. And I won't have a chance to test ride one. I've sat on one a few times and it feels good. I don't feel as if I sit much lower than on the breakout. And that's a positive in my book. I love the looks of the slim! I've had it for desktop on my computer for a while and when I think of buying one of the two other bikes, I don't think I would be quite so happy seeing its 'face' when I open my laptop as I do now every time I look at the slim on my desktop. However, the slim is such a leaned back ride and low. I like to ride my bike much more aggressively and corner harder than its floorboards would probably allow and I'm not sure what the riding position feels like in city traffic with quick turns and much more dynamic driving than just cruising. As I mentioned, I will also be going on longer rides and I expect that the slim s will probably be good for that. Furthermore, I presume that the slim s will have the most power with its 110 engine which is a plus - together with the cruise control which is great for longer rides. And unfortunately I won't have a chance to test ride one.

ALL IN ALL
If there was a slim with the cornering clearance of the street bob, then I wouldn't be in doubt. But there isn't. On the one hand, I love the cornering clearance of the street bob. On the other hand, I would appreciate the (expected) power and stable ride of the slim s.

What is your experience with these bikes to help me decide?

Thanks
Rex

Last edited by RexD; 09-11-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:01 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Ride each one...look at which one you can afford...think about what your riding habits are...and decide for yourself.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Coolaid
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Not this **** again...

The following 2 users liked this post by Coolaid:
uncle kebo (05-05-2017), Yamaharley (05-04-2017)
Old 09-11-2015, 01:17 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,130 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Dyna....you mention the Street Bob but that's just a style of Dyna....the reasons you chose not to like it (mini apes and mid controls)...are 2 of the 3 items most people upgrade/replace/customized anyways!

I had a Street Bob a few years ago, had it looking more like an older SuperGlide...mini apes were replaced by a regular SuperGlide bar, had a full 2-up seat and sissy bar, and had highway pegs that allowed my long legs to use it like forward controls (shift and brake with my heels).

And those 3 items change things big time when it comes to comfort on long rides.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:37 PM
TangSooDoMan
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a Road King!

The following users liked this post:
m16figure8 (05-04-2017)
Old 09-11-2015, 01:37 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

Have you considered a Dyna Low Rider? It's got mid controls. The handlebar riser has 2.4” of movement, and the seat has two riding positions. It's the closest bike Harley has to a sport tourer. It would be ideal for the German autobahn or Swedish highways.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:40 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Ride each one...look at which one you can afford...think about what your riding habits are...and decide for yourself.
Best advice!

Old 09-11-2015, 01:52 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by RexD
SLIM S
I love the looks of the slim! I've had it for desktop on my computer for a while and when I think of buying one of the two other bikes, I don't think I would be quite so happy seeing its 'face' when I open my laptop as I do now every time I look at the slim on my desktop. However, the slim is such a leaned back ride and low. I like to ride my bike much more aggressively and corner harder than its floorboards would probably allow and I'm not sure what the riding position feels like in city traffic with quick turns and much more dynamic driving than just cruising. As I mentioned, I will also be going on longer rides and I expect that the slim s will probably be good for that. Furthermore, I presume that the slim s will have the most power with its 110 engine which is a plus - together with the cruise control which is great for longer rides. And unfortunately I won't have a chance to test ride one.

After reading this, I'd say go for the Slim. It sounds like the bike you really want, and I'd guess you could adapt your riding style. If you bought the Street Bob, as great of a bike as it is, I think you'd still be lusting for a Slim.

That being said, Its not too hard to add more power (way more than a Slim S has stock) to a Street Bob and change the bars/seat/pegs to fit you.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:53 PM
RexD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Good advice. I rode the breakout and the street bob. The breakout fit me perfectly on a short run and the street bob was ok. I cannot test ride a slim in my area.

Test rides are short. That's why I asked others who have more experience from owning these bikes.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:58 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

3-4hrs on the Street Bob/Dyna is easy. Forward controls ARE the make or break deal. It's a very easy install for aftermarket forwards.

Quick Reply: Which bike to choose? Total confusion.