Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   I Knew It Was Coming... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1071063-i-knew-it-was-coming.html)

Baxter's Bagger 09-12-2015 08:47 PM

Lifting a HD Touring from the crash bars solo is challenging for most everyone. A second set of hands s most useful. Lifting one solo on a slick surface is nearly impossible.

My biggest learning moment was lifting from the right side......without extending the Jiffy stand.

ylwf3vr 09-12-2015 09:50 PM

I Knew It Was Coming...

Originally Posted by guitarfish
Man, sorry to hear that! I also have a noticeably harder time doing right-hand turns for some reason. Left turns are very natural and easy, but right turns are awkward and poorly executed. I've only been riding a little over a month, so I'm not too upset about it, but it is weird to me that there such a difference. And from what I hear from others, it's not uncommon.

Same here! Even at speed left turns are way smoother than right. When I got in my wreck I was turning right immediately followed by left.

Greg Di 09-14-2015 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by guitarfish (Post 14390614)
Man, sorry to hear that! I also have a noticeably harder time doing right-hand turns for some reason. Left turns are very natural and easy, but right turns are awkward and poorly executed. I've only been riding a little over a month, so I'm not too upset about it, but it is weird to me that there such a difference. And from what I hear from others, it's not uncommon.

Hard right turns are harder than hard left turns because your clutch hand is way the hell out in front of you on a right hand turn as to be in close to you on a left hand turn.

xungan 09-15-2015 08:15 AM

Glad you and the bike are ok!

As others of stated, practice makes perfect, need to get in some more practice myself as u-turns are my weakness for sure..

Enjoy the Journey!

NDBadlands4-2 09-15-2015 08:28 AM

I do similar parking lot maneuvers, but only about twice a year. Once at the beginning and once in mid summer when they teach the MSF course at a school parking lot two blocks from my house. I use the course after they leave, but all the course markings are still painted on the lot. Although I have not dropped the bike in that lot, it does happen to us all.

Twospot 09-15-2015 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lighteye (Post 14389647)
I can now tell you from experience that a 2015 Road King is a super PITA to get right`side up when the parking lot is full of fine loose gravel.

How it happened:

As is my habit, I dedicate a small portion of my daily ride to low speed drills in an almost always empty county park parking lot by the house. Today, where I normally drop my red solo cups with rocks in them (redneck parking cones), there were 2 vehicles parked, so I went to the other side of the lot.

I had successfully completed 20 or so u-turns and slightly dyslexic figure 8s and thought I'd try tightening it up and slowing it down. I positively suck at right hand u-turns, but the only way to learn is to do it.

Well, I didn't master the turn I wanted at idle speed, but I did learn that I still have cat-like reflexes as far as getting the hell out of the way. I do NOT remember the bike going down. One second I was at full lock halfway through the turn, and it started to lean, and the next I was standing beside it as it was on the ground cocked up at an odd angle. It was as if I had teleported and my ride had drank a few too many and fallen over.

Not a mark on the rear saddle bag bars, but my highway peg got shoved up on the front highway bar and scratched the hell out of it. I guess it had worked it's way just loose enough over the last 1,000 miles. Better scratches there than a broken leg if the bars weren't there and I was slower getting off.

After several unsuccessful attempts at righting it the way I was taught due to the loose gravel making me slip and slide, I went around to the right side of the bike where I was able to plant my feet in grass and pulled it up successfully by rearing back and using my 290 pounds as a counterweight.

I didn't want to end practice on a bad note, so I mounted up and started again. I got back on, fired it up and did another half dozen successful turns before calling it a day, as it was starting to rain, and I was a tad sore.

I got home, unbolted both highway pegs and checked the damage. None other noted. While I was doing this, my Pro-Guards showed up via mailman.

I'll hit it again tomorrow. If you get thrown, get back up if you can and get back on. No fear, just a keen awareness that I need to work more on low speed things. I WILL master full lock turns both ways without having to put a foot down. I see even experienced riders doing it, and I know I can get good enough not to. I just wish that I had video running so I could see how it happened, and exactly the moment I went wrong.

:::sigh::: back to the drawing boards.

I wish I would have dropped mine for that reason. I was at a convenience store this weekend. I'm a real short guy with a short inseam to boot. So I am not quite on the balls of my feet, but not full tippy toed either on my FXDL. I was walking it backwards out of the parking spot. Left foot hit an oil spot slip away and down to the left I went with the bike on top of me. Scratched the engine guard a bit and the rear left blinker. I was more pissed that it happened in front of everyone then the fact it got scratched up.

Kudos to the diligent practice!!!

Thumper09 09-15-2015 09:37 AM

Practicing is so important and you should be proud of yourself for taking the time to do it right. It's unfortunate your nice ride got bruised, but they are purposeful necessary battle wounds and your bike will get more girl bike action from his scars.

UUNetBill 09-15-2015 02:35 PM

Glad the damage was minor and you didn't rip a groin muscle...I've come close to dropping mine due to slipping feet and I think it was just sheer luck I managed to grab it - not a good feeling...glad you got right back on and kept at it!

Hippie49 09-15-2015 06:04 PM

Good to hear that it was no worse than what it was but I have to ask why you were practicing in a parking lot with so much gravel?

I know all of them have some gravel but so much that it hindered you in trying to pick your bike back up?

Bikerscum 09-15-2015 10:41 PM

Right handed people always turn better to the left, left handers are opposite. It's because you want to naturally protect your strong side.

Tell someone nothing but to ride off a ways & make a u-turn around a cone.... see which way they turn. The phenomenon is prevalent in other sports also like skiing.