General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad day for Street Vibrations riders

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 07:51 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,112 Likes on 11,090 Posts
Default Bad day for Street Vibrations riders

I left reno at about noon today for a trip to the sf bay area via i80. I was riding alone as I overtook large groups of riders as well as being overtaken by much faster riders. At about 1315 hrs, just east of Gold Run, I caught up to two bikes traveling 65mph in the fast lane, the rear bike was some sort of black semi -custom Street Glide.That bike was two up, woman on the back, both wearing half helmets and black leather vests.
Since I like to cruise at 75, I began to overtake the slower bike in the #2 or slow lane. As I passed, I caught a glimpse of the rear tire and thought it looked low on air.
I slowed and fell in behind the bike for a second look. Yep, tire looked half flat. I also noticed the bike seemed a bit squirrelly as the rider corrected for the soft tire. As I prepared to overtake the rider again to gesture to rider about his tire, it happened. The rear tire exploded 100' in front of me. Pieces of tire went flying everywhere. At first the rider seemed to have control but then the rear of the bike started swerving and occilating back and forth until the swerving became so wide that the bike high sided on the left at about 50 mph. The high side spit both riders onto the freeway, each tumbling about 10 times until they and the bike came to rest on the lanes. Total length from tire blow to point of rest was about 300'
I stopped in the #1 lane and hit my flashers to protect the unconscious woman lying on the road in front of me. I dismounted and waved frantically at hot traffic approaching from behind. Once I had freeway traffic stopped, bystanders and onlookers helped move the wrecked bike to the center median. A woman who carried what appeared to be a medical bag cared for the injured woman. She appeared to be regaining concoiusness as numerous bystanders called 911.
The rider was up and moving around. His injuries appeared to be road rash .
He seemed to be aware he had a tire blowout.
I set some road flares out and reopened the slow lane once debris was cleared.
CHP arrived in 10, EMS arrived in about 15.
I gave a statement to chp and left.
I mention the crash because a soft rear tire should and was giving clues to the rider something was wrong. Pay attention to what your bike is telling you and check your air pressure before every ride.
If a rear tire blows, don't use brakes, just let it roll to a stop.
I took some photos but I will upload them tomorrow because I don't have my camera cable.
About an hour later, I come across a second mototorcyle crash in west sacramento. I did not witness this one but a yellow blanket covering the rider told me the obvious.
I80 westbound at Reed Ave is 4 lanes wide. Stopped straight as an arrow in the #4 or slow lane was a truck tractor trailer. The tractor was a 3 axle conventional pulling a 53' 2 axle semi-trailer.
The front of a dark blue ultra limited was wedged between the left side #2 and #3 drive axles of the tractor. The yellow tarp covered body was behind the #3 axle and may have been crushed by the truck tires. How did the rider and bike get thrown into to wheels of a big rig? If I had to guess, this was probably a lane splitting collision. This area of i80 frequently backs up as it joins with business 80 from sacramento. Sunday afternoon is no exception for this congestion.
No I don't know if this rider was from street vibes. But i80 is the primary route from reno to the bay area.
I can't link a news story from my phone, hopefully someone can find the story and post it.
This crash is note worthy since the forum frequently discusses the pros and cons of splitting. If you don't know how to split, don't do it.
Stay safe everyone.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:04 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,511 Likes on 645 Posts

I left Reno at about 8 am, light traffic on 80 all the way. On a related tire note, I happened to notice a screw in my rear tire on Tuesday, pulled it out and it was long enough to go through but at an angle. Didnt leak but I have a tube/spoked wheel and was a little spooked to run it, thought maybe the tube might have been compromised. Finally decided to pull it. Took it to Cycle Gear and for 15 bucks had the tube pulled out and checked the inside casing. Peace of mind for my ride to Reno.

Too bad the other rider wasnt warned of the low tire earlier...or maybe he was and tried to chance it, hope they are ok.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:23 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

The story on Abc10.Com says the rider was lane splitting in west sacramento.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:03 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts

UPFlying,
After seeing that horrific crash and then coming up on the DOA, how do you manage to get those visions out of your head? That's a heavy load, especially all in one day.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:24 AM
200RWHP
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the woman pillion wearing a helmet? If so, what kind? Did she regain consciousness while you were there?

Edit - just saw that you think she was.

Last edited by 200RWHP; 09-28-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:26 AM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

I saw that incident shortly after it happened East of Gold Run right about where the Alta exit is. Glad to know those involved are ok. I checked CHP incident report when I got home and it wasn't clear on what happened. I'm surprised it took that long for CHP to arrive. There's a CHP nest only a couple miles East of there.

I headed up to Reno Saturday late morning. In about 40 miles of freeway (between Colfax & Truckee), I got passed by 3 large groups and several smaller groups like I was sitting still and some passed me in my lane. I was doing around 80mph. They were doing excess of 90-95 easily. Weaving in and out of traffic, forcing other drivers to brake check, swerve out of the way, and forcing some onto the shoulder. I even saw one guy lane split between 2 semis. I don't understand why the there was such a big hurry to go to Reno. It was like seeing a pissing match on who can ride the fastest through freeway traffic.

Decided I seen enough of that when I got to Truckee, and went around North Tahoe, over Mt. Rose, and into Reno that way.

After seeing what I saw, I'm a bit surprised there wasn't more incidents.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:20 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I hate reading about stuff like this when it can be prevented.

I had something similar happen to me a few years ago. I was riding home and not sure what I ran over, but it cut my tire across the width with about a 3" fine slice... lost all air pressure immediately at about 60.

Do you have anymore information on the 2 riders you helped, like how the wife is doing?

Old 09-28-2015, 09:29 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikeBel
UPFlying,
After seeing that horrific crash and then coming up on the DOA, how do you manage to get those visions out of your head? That's a heavy load, especially all in one day.
I'm retired leo. Dead people is part of the job.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:56 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Great write up upflying. I can't believe that guy was chancing riding on a deflated tire with a passenger to boot. And the lane splitting between semi's scares the crap outa me. No way I'm chancing that. I can't figure why people have to race from point A to point B all the time. I think the journey is the best part.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:05 AM
mndelrosario
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for sharing, good writeup

Quick Reply: Bad day for Street Vibrations riders