General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Fuelpak3 void warranty?

Old 09-29-2015, 09:31 AM
AUTOT3K
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
I just purchased a new bike and had the same issue as you. All I want to do to this bike was to remove the cat from the head pipe,and slip ons,a high flow A/C, and a tuner. My dealer did not have a issue with the FP3 but said any dealer down the road could if a warranty problem was to come up. So they are installing a Harley race tuner which should be ok with me ..
I was told something similar, so I went with the race tuner as well. Its more expensive but if it keeps my warranty happy then I'll be happy!

Old 09-29-2015, 09:39 AM
ScottMcN1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you will be fine - worst case you flash back to stock before taking to the dealer.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:10 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottMcN1
I think you will be fine - worst case you flash back to stock before taking to the dealer.
That is all well and good as long as you do not break down on a trip ..

Old 09-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Tat2dale
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is what you need to know about voiding your warranty.
http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm

Old 09-29-2015, 03:01 PM
JPS_Lotus98T
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
I just purchased a new bike and had the same issue as you. All I want to do to this bike was to remove the cat from the head pipe,and slip ons,a high flow A/C, and a tuner. My dealer did not have a issue with the FP3 but said any dealer down the road could if a warranty problem was to come up. So they are installing a Harley race tuner which should be ok with me ..
Originally Posted by AUTOT3K
I was told something similar, so I went with the race tuner as well. Its more expensive but if it keeps my warranty happy then I'll be happy!
I spoke with the parts department at lunch today and they said that if they install the FP3, and something happens, there wouldn't be an issue. However if I do it, then it could void warranty. However using the Screamin Eagle Street Tuner is okay. Yet the guy said the Race Tuner falls under the same category as the FP3 because if the dealer doesn't do it, it's on you. I think the policy is ****ing stupid.

With that said, I may just go with the street tuner for now since I wouldn't be touching the engine internals till the warranty is up anyhow.

Originally Posted by ScottMcN1
Parts department claims the service guys can tell the ECM has been modified regardless of it being flashed back to stock. I don't have any way to verify this, but I'm questioning how true that actually is.

Originally Posted by Tat2dale
Here is what you need to know about voiding your warranty.
http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm
Thanks, will look through this.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:13 PM
AUTOT3K
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS_Lotus98T
Parts department claims the service guys can tell the ECM has been modified regardless of it being flashed back to stock. I don't have any way to verify this, but I'm questioning how true that actually is.
I'm not sure if a bike ECM would be the same but I do EFI Live tuning on my race truck and even my daily driver and on the newer style PCM it will log the number of reflashes, so NO they cant tell if its a performance tune but they could tell its been flashed X number of times

Old 09-29-2015, 07:12 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Flash to stock calibration in seconds. How can it void the warranty?

Old 09-30-2015, 10:13 AM
babygorilla
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

The idjit techs can't figure out how to flash a radio with aftermarket amp and speakers properly, how the hell could they figure out how many "flashes" an ECM has received?
Not disparaging anyone here, but just saying, these guys ain't exactly computer savvy....

Old 09-30-2015, 10:25 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dealer told me same as Captain Itch use the Harley tuner and map and they will warranty.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:39 AM
JPS_Lotus98T
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AUTOT3K
I'm not sure if a bike ECM would be the same but I do EFI Live tuning on my race truck and even my daily driver and on the newer style PCM it will log the number of reflashes, so NO they cant tell if its a performance tune but they could tell its been flashed X number of times
Originally Posted by 128auto
Flash to stock calibration in seconds. How can it void the warranty?
Originally Posted by babygorilla
The idjit techs can't figure out how to flash a radio with aftermarket amp and speakers properly, how the hell could they figure out how many "flashes" an ECM has received?
Not disparaging anyone here, but just saying, these guys ain't exactly computer savvy....
Are there any Harley mechanics here who can actually confirm whether they can see how many reflashes have been done to the ECM? It would definitely be possible to keep track of since there's a small amount of storage with these devices because that's the only way they can hold the engine mapping.

Most of you guys are using Windows, and Windows does actively keep track of all changes made to the OS. Same thing would be possible on a smaller scale.

However, it becomes a question of whether or not they actually are keeping track of these things.

Originally Posted by electricstart
Dealer told me same as Captain Itch use the Harley tuner and map and they will warranty.
Yeah that's the same thing they said to me yesterday. I'm just going to go with the SE Street Tuner to be safe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will Fuelpak3 void warranty?