General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Fuelpak3 void warranty?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:11 PM
JPS_Lotus98T
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Will Fuelpak3 void warranty?

I'm looking at doing a high flow intake and V&H short shots on the '15 Wide Glide I just purchased as well as the Fuelpak3.

However, I don't know if this can/will void the factory warranty. On my 1200 Custom I had the LCD Fuelpak which wasn't like the Fuelpak3. I didn't realize the FP3 overwrites the ECM with the new program. From looking around apparently you can save the stock configuration and load it back on.

Researching online about whether the warranty gets voided seems to be inconclusive as it can go either way, and I'm not sure if anyone has personal experience with having a FP3 get blamed for something or something similar occurring with one of these tuners.

My local dealer sells the FP3 along with all other V&H pipes. I haven't asked them if putting the FP3 on would void the warranty. But the parts counter gentleman told me the FP3 is a better choice than going with the Stage 1. But obviously one dealer can tell you something different than another.

However, if going the stage 1 route means my warranty isn't jeopardized I'd have to think that would be the smarter option of the two. Certainly I'd much rather use the Fuelpak3 if possible. Not sure what the alternative is other than to have the dealer do the stage 1.

Any definitive answers?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:46 PM
DrewNJ
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Just an fp3? It shouldn't be an issue since the beauty of the fp3 is that you can flash the stock tune back to the bike in a few seconds. I wonder if the dealer could even tell if there was a different map flashed to begin with??

I could see exhaust/intake changes possibly being dealer warranty issues but its totally going to depend on the dealer.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Lucky McGruff
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard just considering buying a fp3 voids your warrenty.

Short answer no

Long answer nnnnnnnnooooooooooooo

Old 09-28-2015, 08:28 PM
JPS_Lotus98T
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewNJ
Just an fp3? It shouldn't be an issue since the beauty of the fp3 is that you can flash the stock tune back to the bike in a few seconds. I wonder if the dealer could even tell if there was a different map flashed to begin with??

I could see exhaust/intake changes possibly being dealer warranty issues but its totally going to depend on the dealer.
That was along the lines of what I was thinking regarding reflashing back to stock. I guess I don't know if there is any way of picking up that the ECM was flashed over.

Originally Posted by Lucky McGruff
I heard just considering buying a fp3 voids your warrenty.

Short answer no

Long answer nnnnnnnnooooooooooooo

Thanks.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:51 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

You will be fine.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:58 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Just ask the dealer about the warranty for the tuner, intake and pipes. They have to make that decision, not us. I would think that any of those mods could be used as a warranty killer if the dealer wanted to.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:04 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Unless anything put on the bike can be determined as the cause of a failure, and you paid for a warrenty, I don't see how they can just cancel warranty coverage because you added something to your bike ,,,

The following users liked this post:
jakenok (05-12-2017)
Old 09-28-2015, 09:22 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,015 Likes on 11,049 Posts

Mods are ok but don't fly flags on your bike, hd will deny a warranty claim.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:04 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I asked the service manager at my dealership .He said any of the add ons ,exhaust ,cams ,intake , engine tunes will not be covered but the rest of bike will . Of course if you use all Harley upgrades that would be covered separately .

Old 09-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 600 Likes on 323 Posts

I just purchased a new bike and had the same issue as you. All I want to do to this bike was to remove the cat from the head pipe,and slip ons,a high flow A/C, and a tuner. My dealer did not have a issue with the FP3 but said any dealer down the road could if a warranty problem was to come up. So they are installing a Harley race tuner which should be ok with me ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will Fuelpak3 void warranty?