Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   J&S bottle jack failure (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1075427-j-and-s-bottle-jack-failure.html)

Mello03 10-09-2015 04:12 AM

J&S bottle jack failure

Guys I'm looking for a solution here. I went out to ride last night and the bottle jack on my J&S was dead. Now my bike is suspended with a dead jack. I called J&S (closed of course) and I'm hoping they'll send me another, but I really would like to ride before next week. I can guarantee they won't overnight me a cheap China made bottle jack for Saturday delivery. Where can I find another bottle jack with a base big enough to drill holes through? Also, I'm assuming I can remove the bottle jack while 900 lbs and 27k dollars is suspended a foot off the ground? Bought this thing in May and the jack didn't even make it 5 months :icon_rant: I'll go buy a jack, but want a backup in case this happens again.

Any thoughts?

heybaylor 10-09-2015 05:06 AM

Have you checked the fluid level ?

Campy Roadie 10-09-2015 05:24 AM

I'd pull the bottle jack out of the lift and fill it with oil, then bleed it. Re-install and get that bike off the lift. That way you can deal with the bottle jack later.

Next In Line 10-09-2015 05:37 AM

Odd how the jack will not go down. Usually a bad jack will not go up.

Are you sure that the safety is not engaged?

OldEnuf2NoBtr 10-09-2015 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nomadmax (Post 14466927)
I'd pull the bottle jack out of the lift and fill it with oil, then bleed it. Re-install and get that bike off the lift. That way you can deal with the bottle jack later.

:icon_that:Try to get the air out of the system by just pushing down on the side of the rubber plug that's on the side of the jack with your fingernail then pump on the jack and repeat the bleeding process another time or two.

Mello03 10-09-2015 07:22 AM

Thanks guys I will try what you suggested. Yeah this thing will not go up enough to get the safety stops out of the slots. So basically my bike is stuck with the safety stops in place.

Originally Posted by heybaylor (Post 14466906)
Have you checked the fluid level ?

I haven't checked the oil but I'll do it when I get home.

IzzoQuazzo 10-09-2015 09:53 AM

Call J&S. They had a bad batch of bottles some time back. They WILL overnight one to you. They stand behind their product. They did it for me and others.

Campy Roadie 10-09-2015 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mello03 (Post 14467126)
Thanks guys I will try what you suggested. Yeah this thing will not go up enough to get the safety stops out of the slots. So basically my bike is stuck with the safety stops in place.

Put 4 or 5 quarters in the cup where the jack ram goes. That might shim you up a little higher.

wwiiavfan 10-09-2015 12:39 PM

Rent, (or better yet, borrow from a bud) an engine hoist. Remove seat and tour pack, thread a nylon strap around the rear bag guards, and lift her up. That's how I used to get mine onto a welded cart frame for off season storage.

vizcarmb 10-09-2015 12:52 PM

Go to harbor freight and buy an bottle jack. When My yellow jack failed, I just bought another one and modified it to fit the jack. It just took me longer to jack the bike up with the new bottle jack