Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Why did YOU buy a Harley? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/107571-why-did-you-buy-a-harley.html)

bdgreen 05-11-2007 11:04 PM

RE: Why did YOU buy a Harley?

When I was about 6 or 7 years old (I'm 53 now)my Dad came home on a '64 Harley police 3 wheeler. He rode me and my sister around the little town we lived in every weekend. My first bike was a Honda 250 because that's all I could afford. I've owned Kawasaki's, Yamaha's, & Honda's. But my dream bike was aHarley touring bike. June of'04 I finally realized I was at that point in my life where I could finally spend the cash to get what I wanted and not worry. In June of '06 I got my EG. I will never in my liferide another bike except a Harley.

SpeedCrazy 05-12-2007 02:33 PM

I don't have one yet.
Have been looking around and probably will buy a used Harley

vegascop 05-12-2007 02:39 PM

If you had to ask no matter how long you have ridden or owned a Harley you just dont get it.

Crusing 05-12-2007 06:41 PM

Because I wanted the bike that is the epitome of the American tradition and a great local HOG chapter.

roscoe46 05-13-2007 12:17 PM

Always wanted a Harley & 01/06/07 I pulled the trigger on my
1200 Custom.Great bike & i really love it.
I was riding to work yesterday morning & saw guy pull past me on kind
of metric look-a-like; won't diss him for his bike, but I had to smile to
myself & know that I've got the REAL DEAL, the All Ameican Legend &
Icon thats been tearing up the streets since 1957.
Just my $0.02 worth.

roscoe46

FL_Bob 05-31-2007 03:47 PM

All other brands are machines, Harleys are motorcycles

taylor104 05-31-2007 04:47 PM

Well I sold my GSX-R a couple of years ago and last June was looking for an ex police bike ( Honda ST1100 over here in blighty).My wife and I had been to a couple dealers and were on the way home when we spotted a Harley dealer.
We called in and two hours later were the proud owners of a Sportster 1200c, she picked it, said the bike was made for me and that was that.
After two months of riding we realised the suspension could,nt cope with two of us so went back to the dealer to see if we could upgrade the suspension.

While we were there having a cuppa and a chat she saw a heritage Softail. 2 hours later we had traded the sportster in and were the proud owners of a heritage Softail. She picked it, said the bike was made for me and that was that.

My wife also bought me the GSX-R for my birthday without me knowing.

Now I can hear some of you guys saying " that boy is pussywhipped". If so thats fine by me, I can't fault the girl!!!

AJ

Todd T 05-31-2007 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: BaggerSteve Just curios why you bought a Harley instead of another brand.
Seems like I'm seeing more and more guys on Harleys that I never would have years ago. First sign of male pattern baldness, and they shave their head, grow a grey goatee, and buy a "custom" chopper or Harley. Add shorts, flip-flops, and a do-rag....instant "biker"
I'll probably get blasted for this too but here goes:

For years I couldn’t stand "Harleys" because they were always so damn loud and obnoxious (still cant stand the loud ones).

Then they got popular with the checkbook bikers (shorts, flip flops do rag and all paid for by check). I have never been one to be a part of a trend or cult following be it-gothic dress (high school years), custom Harleys, piercings or whatever. So that steered me away for a few more years. When west coast choppers and OCC shirts hit Wal-Mart I knew the market was saturated, or should I say; the club was full, and didn’t want any part of it. I don’t dress in all black and I nor my wife don’t bust out $1k plus worth of leather (chaps, gloves, vests etc) to go on parade around town........ I just enjoy two fists in the wind on something comfortable and at a good value.

Our kids are old enough now and my wife and I wanted something to ride again. Metrics are what? Harley look and sound a-likes so they were out of the running. We bought our first Harley two weeks ago and haven’t looked back. If I walked in a bar off the bike you wouldn’t know I pulled up on a Harley and that is the way I’ll keep it. Anything else is sheepish to me…

adamoc 05-31-2007 05:14 PM

Because Arnold rode a fat boy in Terminator 2, 1990. After seeing that - I needed to have it. And I just bought it three weeks ago!!!!!

Adam '07 FLSTF

fordpartsguy 05-31-2007 05:46 PM

Shoot, I'm 44, single, nothing tying me down or spend money on. What else would you expect me to ride?:D