Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Jerky throttle (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1076434-jerky-throttle.html)

prezflyr 10-15-2015 08:23 AM

Jerky throttle

When my 09 Ultra was new the throttle was very smooth. The throttle was really sensitive to your hand which made it nice to control up and down speed on those winding roads. Lately my throttle has become very jerky. You apply pressure to the throttle and then it jerks. It is very small jerks but not just smooth. Is there a way to lubricate the TBW throttle ? If it had throttle cables I would just lube them like in the old days but not on this puppy.

Loc_Tite 10-15-2015 09:17 AM

Jerky throttle

You might want to make sure your switch housing is not too far away from the grip, this causes friction where it meets the lip on the throttle grip. I did have a TBW twist grip sensor that developed that problem though, you can check by taking the grip off and twisting the plastic thing that looks kind of like a gear that's on the end of the handlebar. That's the exposed part of the twist grip sensor, which is a cylindrical assembly that is slid into the bar end. If it's sticky without the grip on you likely need a new sensor because it won't come apart for servicing.

nytryder 10-15-2015 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite (Post 14484514)
You might want to make sure your switch housing is not too far away from the grip, this causes friction where it meets the lip on the throttle grip. I did have a TBW twist grip sensor that developed that problem though, you can check by taking the grip off and twisting the plastic thing that looks kind of like a gear that's on the end of the handlebar. That's the exposed part of the twist grip sensor, which is a cylindrical assembly that is slid into the bar end. If it's sticky without the grip on you likely need a new sensor because it won't come apart for servicing.

Had the same problem and my sensor was bad too. Felt real choppy when trying to change throttle settings.

prezflyr 10-15-2015 05:36 PM

How big a deal is changing the throttle since I have Wild 1 bars with wires running thru the bars.

Loc_Tite 10-15-2015 06:57 PM

It could be some work then. There's two things that could have been done with the twist grip sensor when the bars were done, they could have re-used the original and if so there's a green disconnect plug about midway inside the bars or they put a new Screaming Eagle type one in with longer wires which means the plug would be accessible on the downstream side of the hole at the bar clamp. Either way it might be a real hassle fishing it through if you don't unpin all the other wires and run the TBW wire along with all the others in a bundle, there's not much room in there. Personally I'd loosen the switch housing first and see if moving it left and right while twisting the grip makes a difference first. If not it may be a bit of a procedure.