General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas for a short notice road trip out of St. Louis

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:25 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Go to Nebraska and do the Sand Hills journey. Look on a map for the scenic route. Stay at Broken Bow. There is a great motel at the west end on the south side. Several others in town but they are old and right along side the busy RR tracks with a coal train at least every half hour.

It is one of the top 10 rides in the US.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:37 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Blue Ridge Pkway. Check the weather forecast first.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:54 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I here East St Louis is nice this time of year. I think the "fighting season" is over just like the Taliban takes a break this time every year.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:07 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,836 Likes on 17,455 Posts

Watch the south right now rains going to be a big issue with that hurricane that just screwed mexico hitting Texas. Going to be cooler to damn cold anywhere else this time of year.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:21 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Was going to go to Amarillo cutting trough the north west corner of Arkansas (have family in Green Forest), see some Cadillacs in the ground and try a big steak before heading to New Orleans, but think I'm going to go to Deals Gap now. I've never been to the Tail of the Dragon and its only a bit over 500 miles away from me. Then I might head down to Atlanta, as I have a friend I've known since grade school who lives there.

Looks like it will rain on me, but that's why I own rain gear. Though yesterday the weather said it was going to pour at my parents house this morning and not drop fell.

Last edited by Dan28; 10-24-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:40 PM
Dan28
Road Master

Did rain for about 150 miles pretty good at times. stayed dry due to rain gear and goretex lined boots. Going to hit Deals Gap tomorrow and it's supposed to rain then too. I won't be in a hurry, so hopefully the rain and it being a Monday will keep those who like to blast through it, off my tail. After that I may run over to Cherohala Skyway and run that one. My friend in Atlanta (works for FAA) is in Vegas and won't be home. So depending on weather may try to hit Gulfport/Biloxi and New Orleans before heading back to STL.

I set my GoPro to take a pic every minute and got a lot through Illinois and Kentucky, but eventually I hit the interstate and was running 80+ and the camera causes too much turbulence on my head. Wifi sucks at my hotel or I'd go through them and post them now. Will later. Plan to record video of the dragon.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I like to set the Go Pro at that 1 min interval, get lots of interesting pics. along the way.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:21 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

I never try to over plan a trip- all I think of is the different "leg" of a route.
1st leg to _________
2nd leg to __________
3rd leg to___________
Destination.
If someone rides to a schedule it becomes a job and they miss all the hidden fun along the way.
At it's simplest, riding is just that, and nothing more.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Dan28
Road Master

Did the Dragon this morning and basically had it to myself which was cool. Was a little Leary of wet leaves on the road but they weren't too bad. I felt like I was in 2nd just about the whole time with few ventures up to fourth.

Eventually just started heading south. Did about 600 miles all told today, I think maybe a hundred with no rain. Rain eventually found its way past parts of my rain suit and that helped to wear me out. Experienced the worst cross wind I've ever been in while on a bike in southern Alabama. That cross wind was scarier to me than any of the twists at the Dragon. It would gust real hard so that I had to lean into it to stay straight and then just stop suddenly which is just a strange feeling on the bike.

Attached Thumbnails Ideas for a short notice road trip out of St. Louis-image.jpg  
Old 10-27-2015, 12:00 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan28
Did the Dragon this morning and basically had it to myself which was cool. Was a little Leary of wet leaves on the road but they weren't too bad. I felt like I was in 2nd just about the whole time with few ventures up to fourth.

Eventually just started heading south. Did about 600 miles all told today, I think maybe a hundred with no rain. Rain eventually found its way past parts of my rain suit and that helped to wear me out. Experienced the worst cross wind I've ever been in while on a bike in southern Alabama. That cross wind was scarier to me than any of the twists at the Dragon. It would gust real hard so that I had to lean into it to stay straight and then just stop suddenly which is just a strange feeling on the bike.
I rode the Dragon in the rain back in around '07 or '08. Definitely a little more pucker factor, but like you said - had it largely to ourselves.

I've also had the crosswinds like you describe. Yikes.

But hey - these kinds of rides make much more interesting stories!

Quick Reply: Ideas for a short notice road trip out of St. Louis