General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas for a short notice road trip out of St. Louis

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 12:28 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Ideas for a short notice road trip out of St. Louis

So, I ended up needing to use a week of vacation next week and decided I would like to take a little road trip on the bike. I'll be taking my dog to my parents' tonight and knocking out a quick bow hunt tomorrow morning before heading home. Plan to jump on the bike early Sunday morning and ride off for a few days or so, just want to be able to get back to St. Louis by the following Saturday. My first thought was riding south (warmer weather) to Gulfport, MS/New Orleans. That is where I was based out of when I was in the Navy, and since I was last there in 1999, I'm a bit curious to see how its changed. On the other hand, well I have been there already and lived there off and on for 5 years, though I never had a motorcycle during that time. It also appears like they might get some good rain Monday and Tuesday, and while I'm not adverse to riding in the rain as I do it all the time, I still prefer it to be dry. Then I thought, maybe ride out west to the Grand Canyon, as I've never been out west further than the western side of MO and Arkansas, except for airports. Though that is a bit on the longer side for less than a week, looking at around 1400 to 1500 miles one way, which might mean a lot of interstate only travelling. So I'm looking at a destination probably under a 1000 miles away. I've also been to pretty much all the south east states, and I will be carrying a CCW so that takes some states off the list, though I'll be able to at least travel through Illinois as long as I don't stop. Ah, if I don't think of something else, and Sunday morning comes, I'll just roll to Gulfport/Biloxi.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

How about Amarillo? Been meaning to make it down there myself one day.

http://bigtexan.com/

Old 10-23-2015, 01:03 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

at this point it looks as if rain will be coming in mon. and tues. and rain south of us. might be alittle late in the year but you could head up 100 in illinois and follow the river as far as you can. this time of year though no telling what kind of weather you could run into. after this storm moves though you could head southwest. what ever you do you need to do it quick the weather can change pretty fast this time of year.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Dan28
Road Master

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
How about Amarillo? Been meaning to make it down there myself one day.

http://bigtexan.com/
They got a lady on that web site that ate three of those 72 oz steak meals in 20 minutes! That's crazy.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

I just caught this. http://www.9news.com/story/news/traf...i-70/74395916/. Looks like Colorado might be a good place to avoid.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Dan28
Road Master

Originally Posted by hardheaded
at this point it looks as if rain will be coming in mon. and tues. and rain south of us. might be alittle late in the year but you could head up 100 in illinois and follow the river as far as you can. this time of year though no telling what kind of weather you could run into. after this storm moves though you could head southwest. what ever you do you need to do it quick the weather can change pretty fast this time of year.
I do that one quite a bit on the bike, as its one of my favorites for scenery, and I imagine with the leaves starting to change color it would probably look pretty cool.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:19 PM
Trial dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arkansas or Tennessee or North Carolina. I guess you've been to those places but good riding, closer, maybe a bit warmer than some other options. Might be raining that way though, I haven't looked at the weather.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:57 PM
dylder
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Arkansas, Pig Trail area (Eureka Springs, Fayetteville, Bentonville) great rides. Pigtrail HD has some great ride maps on their website.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:06 PM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Big circle through KY, TN, AR, and back through SW MO.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:16 PM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I looked at the weather and you need to go southwest and then loop back around the front that will move across after Tuesday. Everything east of you will be wet the second half of the week as the front from the northwest meets the remains of the typhoon hitting Mexico tonight.

Try going to Santa Fe or Taos, you can then head up to Mesa Verde and Durango before turning for home. Lots of good riding there, just don't skip a gas pump in BFE.

Quick Reply: Ideas for a short notice road trip out of St. Louis