General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I nuts???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 03:27 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Am I nuts???

Since demo'ing a couple of touring bikes this past summer, I've been contemplating trading in my '08 Deluxe on a Streetglide, with the end goal of putting a quick detach tourpak and a touring seat on it to make my wife more comfortable on the back. However I've been looking at new or recent year used bikes, which are currently not financially an option - so I wasn't really considering this a short term option.

A couple weekends ago we were in the Outer Banks of NC for a few days for our anniversary, and we rented an Ultra for a day. Gave me some reinforcement to know that I like how the touring bikes ride, and also led me to consider the possibility of an Ultra as well as a Streetglide.

I'm on the email mailing list from one of my local dealers, and a couple days ago I got one with their 'Top 5' used bikes - occasionally they'll put these out - 5 bikes that they cut their price on for a week to try to get them gone. In it is an '08 Ultra Classic, which they have stickered at $13,800 and cut the price to $10,999. Here's the link to the bike in their used inventory: http://www.seacoastharley.com/defaul...d=1499943&ni=1

So today I went in and took a look at it. The pictures in the link above do a good job not showing it's cosmetic flaws:
-both tips of the outer fairing have some tape residue or something, appears that some kind of trim piece was attached here, but it's gone now. Not sure if it will just clean off, or there is damage to the paint beneath.
-melted boot residue on head pipes on both sides (probably from the passenger based on location).
-has true dual head pipes, with brand new (appear never have been run) stock mufflers. My read on this is that the previous owner took his mufflers with him to put on his new bike, and the takeoffs went on the trade in. Don't know what it has for air cleaner (stock cover) so don't know if it was ever stage 1. No mention of it from the dealer.
-Paint is in good condition except for the ends of the outer fairing metioned above
-Some corrosion spotting on floor boards and various smaller chrome areas, and pretty heavily on the front wheel. Looks like it would probably clean up pretty well with some effort. Forks look pretty good. caps for the intercom connections are heavily weather faded. All this leads me to believe it was likely stored outdoors for some portion of it's life.

Talked to the service manager, he told me that the bike came in to them initially 2 years ago, was sold, and then traded in again recently. I'm not sure why (unless it's had very few miles put on in the last couple years) but the service manager said they did a 30K service on it before it was sold the last time, then the most recent PO had a 30K service done in their shop within the last 2 years (his span of ownership) and they did another 30K service before putting it back on the floor for sale now. also had had front wheel bearings, rocker cover gaskets and primary gasket replaced for this sale, and a new front tire.

I don't know much about the touring bikes - what other questions should I be asking about this bike? Any particular areas to watch out for? Is this a fair deal? Depending on what you guys say, I may go down and take it for a test ride on Saturday.

Thanks.

Dan

Old 10-29-2015, 03:37 PM
Buckmaster299
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about what else to look for as I too am still testing what bike I want, but the fact that they done 2 30k services makes me curious. As for the flaws, use those to your benefit of negotiations I would think. Good luck with your search, and for what its worth, that is not a bad looking bike from the pix. LOL

Old 10-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

So.....

What was the question again?

Oh yes, I remember, "Am I Nuts???

Yep.

Your about to get more damn opinions than you can possibly sift through.

Oh, and a few questions most likely.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:40 PM
Buckmaster299
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
So.....

What was the question again?

Oh yes, I remember, "Am I Nuts???

Yep.

Your about to get more damn opinions than you can possibly sift through.

Oh, and a few questions most likely.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:09 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Someone is going to spend the next few months looking at that bike sitting idle as the snow falls outside.

I'd make sure the dealer made if well worth my while before that someone was me.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:38 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If it were me, I would pass & try to pick up an '09 or later touring model which has the much improved frame.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:59 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by streeteagle
If it were me, I would pass & try to pick up an '09 or later touring model which has the much improved frame.
Very sound advice

Old 10-29-2015, 06:06 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

In 3 months it will be 2016. That bike is already 8 years old and been in several hands.
I'd wait, watch the papers and if I was going to drop 10 k on anything it would have to be on a new bike or a bike that was garage kept with low miles. Why? Cause I'm going to ride the **** out of it and I don't want anyone's problems or a worn looking bike. Making it worn looking is your job.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:15 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Rather than having a bike set your budget, set your budget and look for a bike that fits it. This time of year you'll find more motivated sellers. I'd keep looking...but that's just me.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:41 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

08 was the first year for the throttle by wire and they gave lots of problems before they got the bugs worked out. If you buy the bike more than likely you will need a rear stabilizer to hold hold that mother on the road. What you need to do is go here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...l?daysprune=-1 ,and start reading and learning.

Quick Reply: Am I nuts???