General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods tips tricks to help disabled riders get back on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 05:21 AM
LBKA_DynaLow
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods tips tricks to help disabled riders get back on the road.

Admins, I apologize if this info already exists or is misplaced I am currently a new member and couldn't find anything similar to my topic via the search function. Please feel free to relocate this as needed/appropriate.

Though I would create a thread for any riders who are physically disabled to share their tips, tricks, mods and ideas to help out anyone in a similar situation get back in the wind. I'll start with my own experience and invite anyone else to chime in.

Okay here goes: I have only about 1/2 of my left leg gone below the knee as a result of a crash in 2007. Obviously not having a left ankle makes shifting a little difficult. I had heard about the various companies who make air or electric powered shifters commonly seen on drag bikes but they were all way out of my price range. I also had considered converting to a foot clutch and jockey shift setup but again too much coin (I'm pretty cheap). So my first time back out on the road I got on a bike with forwards and used my artificial leg to find first and would lay down on the tank and pull the shifter by hand for the upshifts, not exactly the safest thing to do. After adjusting the shift lever to an almost vertical position on the forwards I was able to downshift like normal folks and would just swing my entire prosthetic leg up on top of the shifter and pull back for the upshifts. Now I am currently riding a dyna with mid controls and factory forward pegs I have removed the mid mount pegs (still has mid controls) and can stomp through the down shifts and to go up I just slide my heel back till I feel the shifter (still in its factory horizontal position) and pull my whole leg up while holding rearward pressure on the shifter. To use the rear brake I just slide my roght foot back a touch on the forward peg and use my heel to press down on the pedal. I will occasionally miss a shift going up but usually its because I'm not paying attention and didn't keep good contact on the shifter with my boot heel. These methods can work on most dyna, sportster and softail models not equipped with floor boards. There are also kits out there to add boards and a heel-toe type shifter to dynas as well as a bolt on kit by widow maker to convert to a jockey type shifter and retain the factory clutch (the kit will fit all familys of HD bike except for v-rods IIRC). Obviously a dresser with heel-toe shifter would be easiest for left leg amputees but I found the street glide that I have access to just a bit too heavy for me to be comfortable with. Anyone else with a disability please chime in with your mods, etc you use or have used to get back on the road and how they have worked for you.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:26 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I used to work with a guy who was paralyzed from the waist down. He bought an old Hondamatic and attached a side car to it. We relocated all the controls to the side car. He would drop the tailgate of the hack and ride his wheelchair up the ramp and it locked in just like in his van. All controls were hand controls in the side car. Sure looked funny with a motorcycle running down the road with nobody on it.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:01 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

This builder is a friend of mine, and a member of our Marshall sector of the Mn Patriot Guard. For the wheel chair bound, this is the clear deal.

http://www.liberatortrikes.com/

Old 12-28-2015, 08:43 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Friend/co-worker lost the use of both legs. He has a Tri-glide, all converted to hand controls, but the foot controls still function. He has a platform on one side that he bungie cords his collapsed wheel chair to.
He's a fun guy, great time riding with him, great sense of humor.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:43 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

not to make light of your disability, but there are varying degrees of disability. for someone who has a problem with their left hand for whatever reason, i just recently came across this 'automatic' clutch. heck, even if you don't have a disability, this could be a cool thing.

https://rekluse.com/product/harley-d...xp-clutch-kit/

glad to see that you're still riding. knees in the breeze is what it's all about, whether they be bone or titanium

Last edited by skratch; 12-29-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:04 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Seen a rider using hand shifter right side of tank with shaft running under tank to left side bellcrank lever to trans shift arm.Simple easy setup.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:46 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

I don't have much to offer other than good on ya for not giving up!