General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for suggestions/advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:45 PM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Looking for suggestions/advice

My 2000 Screaming eagle road glide was stolen in August that I purchased new in 2000. I had ridden to 37 states and over 100,000 miles and a few years ago I had the engine built to 117. I am finally settling with my insurance company and not sure which direction to go in.

I am pretty sure I would like to go with another road glide but "might" go for a street glide. I can't afford new but might be able to afford $20,000 but only have $17,500 cash in hand. If I can find a mysterious red sunglow road glide 2015 I think I would buy it if I could get it for $19-20,000 (just missed a couple). I'm looking at everything and have seen some great deals on some road glides years 2008 and up. I believe the frame changed in 2009. Any other things I should consider or anything I should stay away from?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 01-06-2016, 11:02 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know about roads or streets (glide wise that is).
But I would wonder if there was some person in my circle who knew about the bike, just because of past experience. Sorry you lost what must have had a lot of personal value.
Not sure how easy it is to fence a bike with100,000 miles, even if it's tricked out.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:44 AM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Frame change in 2009. Rushmore changes in 2014. For the $ you have, I'd go 14 or 15. BUT, there should be a slight uptick in used 12s and 13s as people have traded in bikes for the 14+ models for the Rushmore upgrades.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:25 AM
bornindadamnusa
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CJeep
Frame change in 2009. Rushmore changes in 2014. For the $ you have, I'd go 14 or 15. BUT, there should be a slight uptick in used 12s and 13s as people have traded in bikes for the 14+ models for the Rushmore upgrades.
Agree with this for the most part. For me the biggest improvement in the newer Road Glide (my favorite) is the redesign of saddlebag latches. Could care less about infotainment center. I use a Zumo 660 and does all I need it to do. I am constantly checking CL for the right deal and can't wait to get a second bike which will be another Road Glide. Just not a fan of the Street Glide. If I wanted a batwing fairing I would be looking at an Ultra. Have a Memphis Shades fairing on my Road King and detachable tour pack which never comes off. That being said, I am looking for an RGU. Good luck and sorry for your misfortune. I would be devastated if I lost my King I have had for so many years and have so much money invested in...

Old 01-07-2016, 08:43 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 on suggesting that you go with the newer Rushmore bikes. Lots of upgrades from what you were on for sure.

I don't see where you are from, but Paris HD in Paris, Tx. has a used RG in that color you mention. Has like 9,??? miles on it. Not sure of the price. Didn't ask because of the near 10K miles on it. But you may not worry about the miles since you seem to take them over 100K. Love that color myself.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:03 AM
Dezz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another one for a rushmore, too many upgrades to looks past. As far as road vs. street.. I love my SG and I think its the more appealing bike(looks wise). However, I've heard from lots of folks that the road glide is the "most comfortable bike they've rode".. I just can't get past the look of it myself.. my 2 cents

Old 01-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Since you have cash in hand, that gives you a good chunk o' buyin' power. Especially at this time of year. More so in the private sector...as long as you can be patient and wait for the right bike to "come to you" so to speak. I think you can afford to be choosy.

I'd also suggest looking outside your immediate area, even if you use a bike a distance away as a gauge or bargaining chip. Shipping a bike from a distance isn't all that expensive in the big picture. Even so, based on my past long distance dealings, it would be worthwhile to make a trip to look touch and ride, maybe even make your own shipping arrangements and even if it takes renting a trailer and making a big road trip. As we all know, vehicles can be easily made to seem better than they really are.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:28 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
Since you have cash in hand, that gives you a good chunk o' buyin' power. Especially at this time of year. More so in the private sector...
I've got to disagree with this one. Dealers don't care about cash, in fact they would much rather you finance through HD. The dealer usually adds some percentage to the loan to make more money over the term of the loan. So if your financing and going with HD credit, use a loan calculator to check to make sure they aren't adding percentage on top of the loan you qualify for.

As for financing with your own bank, the dealer doesn't care, they get the same amount of money in their pocket if you use cash or give them a bank check. No upside there.

You may have some more buying power with a private sale, but that is only going to come into play if the seller is in a hurry and doesn't want to wait for a check to clear the bank.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by thealien
My 2000 Screaming eagle road glide was stolen in August that I purchased new in 2000. I had ridden to 37 states and over 100,000 miles and a few years ago I had the engine built to 117. I am finally settling with my insurance company and not sure which direction to go in.

I am pretty sure I would like to go with another road glide but "might" go for a street glide. I can't afford new but might be able to afford $20,000 but only have $17,500 cash in hand. If I can find a mysterious red sunglow road glide 2015 I think I would buy it if I could get it for $19-20,000 (just missed a couple). I'm looking at everything and have seen some great deals on some road glides years 2008 and up. I believe the frame changed in 2009. Any other things I should consider or anything I should stay away from?

Thanks in advance!!
What do you need is a more important question.
I hate having more bike than necessary.
It's about speed and maneuverability.
Where do you abide?
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...-CVO-116690314
http://www.cycletrader.com/Harley--D...tView=listView&

Last edited by Sling Blade 14; 01-07-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Sonar, I agree with you on the aspect of buying from a dealer. But with cash in hand, I wouldn't buy from a dealer anyway. But that's just me. A whole lot more bike can be bought for the money from a private party. No doc fees, no prep fees. Just taxes and transfer.
The private seller is much more likely to negotiate as well.

All things considered, a bike purchase is from the heart. If the buyer finds what they want, they're gonna buy it if it is within their means to do so. Even if they pay a bit more than they have to.

Quick Reply: Looking for suggestions/advice