General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Headlight: J.W. Speaker's NEW MODEL 8790

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 09:03 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Default LED Headlight: J.W. Speaker's NEW MODEL 8790

J.W. Speaker is busy staying ahead of their competition and clones. I personally run the Truck-Lite in my bikes because I'm not willing to pay their prices, and I don't believe their previous versions were better than the much less expensive Truck-Lite.

However their newest generation is probably the best functional LED headlight on the market. They focused on addressing the blind spots and it certainly looks to me that they were successful.

Of course as with all their headlights, they're very proud of this one with an MSPR of $800.00

A great product, I'm sure. But I'll probably never own one. In 1973 I bought a full Panhead basket case for $700.00. I never would have thought I'd live long enough to see the day where a headlight would cost more than that bike. But that's just me.

Check it out... http://www.easternperformance.com/jw...ey-metric.html

Old 01-08-2016, 10:28 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

My first car was $300, my second car was $700. I did bite off a Vision X Vortex LED light for the Street Glide nearly $400 and don't regret it one bit.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:33 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

I saw that earlier. Awesome idea! But too much for my wallet, I'll stick with the Phase 7. JR

Old 01-09-2016, 07:18 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

They really are proud of their new light, very pricy but if one was doing a lot of night time driving, it would be something to consider for additional safety.
So the one thing I was trying to figure out in the video, it looks like the center LED is always on and the led's in the 9-12 position and 12-3 position roll on as you enter a turn and off as you exit?

Old 01-09-2016, 07:30 AM
babygorilla
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, half the promo video was of computer generated images.....
I'd have to actually see video to believe how good it is.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:31 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Yeowch...that's a tad extreme...IMO.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:04 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
They really are proud of their new light, very pricy but if one was doing a lot of night time driving, it would be something to consider for additional safety.
So the one thing I was trying to figure out in the video, it looks like the center LED is always on and the led's in the 9-12 position and 12-3 position roll on as you enter a turn and off as you exit?
That's correct, and the key feature in what make this light so intriguing, and more costly. The deeper your lean angle becomes the more side lights come on. To light the 12:00 position your lean angle would have to be 30 degrees or more. Having the side lights come on and off based on your lean angle, will keep the bright lights out of oncoming traffic eyes. They would otherwise be aimed too high. Currently the 7-inch unit is all that's available. However they are slated to introduce a 5.75 inch unit in the next few months. One feature that's a little baffling is the fact that the side lights only operate on low beam. With the high beam on, they will not activate in the turns. I'll bet it's excellent in the canyons at night, which I do a lot of.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:15 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Man, that's a chunk of change...but looks like it's pretty awesome technology.

I'm sure the price will come down in time...remember how much HID and LED were when they came out? But like any new tech, I'm concerned with the reliability and long-term durability. Once you start adding lean angle sensors and other stuff, the probability of something going **** up is a lot higher.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:50 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
However their newest generation is probably the best functional LED headlight on the market. They focused on addressing the blind spots and it certainly looks to me that they were successful.

Of course as with all their headlights, they're very proud of this one with an MSPR of $800.00
Holy Cow! It'll be 1500 when they put a bar and shield on it! Then there's the spots....lol It does look intriguing... I'll get one in 10 years when they're a dime a dozen... (Yeah, right)

Happy Motoring!

Old 01-09-2016, 11:03 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gizmag did a review with a real video of the light. I'd get it If I had 800 bucks burning a hole in my pocket....

Quick Reply: LED Headlight: J.W. Speaker's NEW MODEL 8790