General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Debate

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:42 AM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak Show
to many donuts will do that to you
That's just an old cliche, around here they hang out at the pizza buffets most of the time now.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:43 AM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I wish the keyboard on a smart phone would lock while the car is moving. It would be easy for them to do since they all have GPS.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:16 AM
popawcritter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 89FLHTC
I wish the keyboard on a smart phone would lock while the car is moving. It would be easy for them to do since they all have GPS.
It would also be easy to mute the stereo while in motion, disable the engine for an hour after hitting a drive through (cheeseburgers are distracting not to mention some folks get sleepy after eating), Kill all the gauges while in motion(don't take your eyes off the road), outlaw passengers from speaking or distracting the driver, etc,etc.

Maybe it would just be easier to come down really hard on people who cause accidents due to any of their head-up-the a$$ reasons. Seems more logical to me. Some folks are quite capable of doing two things at once, others are not.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:17 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by popawcritter
I've probably answered this before in helmet threads but still the same answer.
No, I do not wear a seatbelt 99% of the time. Passengers in the FRONT seat of a car and children under 16 are the ones required to wear a seatbelt in Mo. If you are 16 or above, in a pickup, truck, van, or suv that is licensed for 12,000lbs. or above you are exempt.

In bad weather/slick roads I sometimes wear a seatbelt. I like having the choice. I don't know of any laws that forbid you to wear a seatbelt or helmet if you choose. If some state (insane as it sounds) suddenly passed a law forbidding their use I bet the other side would be screaming about their freedom of choice.
Speaking of seatbelts, cynic that I am, I believe it is just a matter of time before New York makes a mandatory seatbelt law for motorcycles. Not a safety issue - merely a revenue issue. Remember, NY has some of the toughest gun laws in the nation and our murder rate confirms how effective the gun laws have been.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:47 AM
popawcritter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sailmotion
Speaking of seatbelts, cynic that I am, I believe it is just a matter of time before New York makes a mandatory seatbelt law for motorcycles. Not a safety issue - merely a revenue issue. Remember, NY has some of the toughest gun laws in the nation and our murder rate confirms how effective the gun laws have been.
I'm really surprised they are not already making the trike folks wear a seatbelt. I see it in the not so far off future.

Apologies for thread drift. Back to helmet laws... I'm against making anybody go without.. It's their right to wear one if they wish. I wish they would support my rights the way I support theirs.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:02 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by popawcritter
In bad weather/slick roads I sometimes wear a seatbelt. I like having the choice. I don't know of any laws that forbid you to wear a seatbelt or helmet if you choose. If some state (insane as it sounds) suddenly passed a law forbidding their use I bet the other side would be screaming about their freedom of choice.
That's just it- everyone has the inherent right to protect themselves as they see fit, not some mandatory enactment.
Sometimes I'll put on a helmet in a rainstorm or wearing my modular knowing my route takes me past a bark dust production plant.
Same for seat belts, if I feel that the road condition or traffic situation runs a higher risk of an accident, then I click up.
It's not about reasonable law, it's about spurious statistics and corporate profit codified into public law.
I believe more in education and not legislation.
A debate is a fronting of opinions and beliefs without anyone being right or wrong after all.
Ride on!

Old 02-05-2016, 12:24 PM
popawcritter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sling Blade 14
That's just it- everyone has the inherent right to protect themselves as they see fit, not some mandatory enactment.
Sometimes I'll put on a helmet in a rainstorm or wearing my modular knowing my route takes me past a bark dust production plant.
Same for seat belts, if I feel that the road condition or traffic situation runs a higher risk of an accident, then I click up.
It's not about reasonable law, it's about spurious statistics and corporate profit codified into public law.
I believe more in education and not legislation.
A debate is a fronting of opinions and beliefs without anyone being right or wrong after all.
Ride on!
I agree with all of that. I think we're on the same page. Sometimes my sarcasm, over the top analogies, and sense of humor get lost on many.

I'm against all nanny laws, they're ineffective and distract the courts from important stuff( murder, rape, stealing, and unprovoked violence).

Old 02-05-2016, 02:21 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by meangreen02
First, I would say if you don't think there is a enormous problem with eating in this Country, then why is 65+ percent of the population obese? Sorry I don't follow the second half of that paragraph.
Of course there is obesity. And that is proof everyone eats, so the public wouldn't tolerate laws to prevent eating however much, of whatever, they wanted to eat. Unlike a possible response to too many injuries of motorcycle riders. Decades ago most motorcycle riders were kids going to school, wannabe 'outlaws', or young guys without families to support, mortgages to pay, etc., more of today's riders have families to support, are female, and just generally people whose injuries/deaths would have a greater impact on society.

The government could easily curb some people from riding a motorcycle by subterfuge, it wouldn't take an explicit law. And the public wouldn't understand what the government was doing, nor would they care and support motorcyclists rights if they did understand. Is that clear?

I don't follow much in the second one either. If not wearing a helmet has no effect on anyone but me and my family (wife chooses to wear one) why pass a law (revenue perhaps)? I live in the same area of the Country!
This is an easy one. There could be a medical expense, a huge one for head injuries, that the public could be easily convinced is avoidable by requiring helmets, more insurance, or reducing/eliminating motorcycle riding. And since most people, outside your 'circle', don't/wouldn't ride a motorcycle there would not be much public support for motorcycle riders. Then there are the people that just 'care' about people's safety in general. It may not be fair but the numbers are against us.

I completely agree with your last paragraph, I was just stating that if you are ok with passing helmet laws because of danger, well than you are not that far from passing laws against operating a motorcycle because of danger. Again some things are dangerous, we should be free to make those decisions when our actions have no direct impact on others.
I think helmet laws will slow down the eventual imposition of far worse, IMO, laws. Unfortunately "our actions have no direct impact on others" is not what actually happens. We are all in this together and our actions, justified/fair or not, generate responses from society.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:38 PM
popawcritter
Road Warrior

Are there any stats on the number of increased head injuries and increased medical costs vs instant death and less hospital costs? Not being a smartass. I hear people saying the death count went up in Michigan. Just seems like if people are dying on impact without a helmet the hospital cost would be lower than living through it and having broken bones, surgeries, and rehab costs. There may be plenty of evidence one way or the other, I haven't bothered to look.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:16 PM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

If you are old enough to die for your country, you are old enough to decide whether or not to wear a friggin' helmet.

As far as seat belts laws are concerned, they were lobbied for by the insurance industry. Not to save more lives, but to save THEM money.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (12-04-2016)

Quick Reply: Helmet Debate