Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Helmet Debate (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1091527-helmet-debate.html)

wndchsr2 01-31-2016 01:51 PM

Helmet Debate

The helmet law is coming up for a vote in Tennessee again. The law will give anyone over 21 the choice to ride without a helmet. I'm sure there are other stipulations but I honestly haven't cared enough to look into the law.

And the way this is written, from what I saw initially I cant support it as its worded.

Before you jump on me for not wanting people to have a choice, I do but just not at 21 years old. I say that because most at 21 still think your gonna live forever and are still invincible. If the law stated anyone over the age of 31 then I guess I could support it more. But on average I just dont figure a 21 year kid has the maturity to make a decision that could have that grave of consequences. Yes there are exceptions but from the 21 year old kids I see.........I dont see many exceptions.

I know you can join the Military at that age........I joined at 18 and didnt know squat about life. I learned it pretty quick but didnt know it going in.

Maybe I'm just getting older and think about this stuff more.........I'll hit 50 this year.

Personally I'll wear my helmet.............Regardless of the law. The above is just strictly my personal opinion...........Not saying its right or wrong, just an opinion.

Totaled a Heritage out in Texas about 15 years ago. I firmly believe if I had been without a helmet I would have died that day. since I had one on I'm still here riding 15 years later.

So what do y'all think? Is 21 old enough to make that kind of decision or should the minimum age be older? Maybe I'm way off base in my thinking.

QC 01-31-2016 01:59 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...28a6a7b1a4.png

CVO SG 01-31-2016 02:05 PM

I'm all for personal choices and 21 is an ok age IMO.

edited in:

Originally Posted by wndchsr2 (Post 14794918)

Before you jump on me for not wanting people to have a choice, I do but just not at 21 years old. I say that because most at 21 still think your gonna live forever and are still invincible. If the law stated anyone over the age of 31 then I guess I could support it more. But on average I just dont figure a 21 year kid has the maturity to make a decision that could have that grave of consequences. Yes there are exceptions but from the 21 year old kids I see.........I dont see many exceptions.

While you believe in personal choice, you want to decide who is capable of making their own choice? ;)

LoneWoolf 01-31-2016 02:08 PM

I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it. The wrong choice, at any age, and especially an age that is in it's reproductive prime, will only serve to impact on the gene pool in a positive way.

sixguns 01-31-2016 02:21 PM

I never care what another person does, their life, their choice. Never appreciated anyone that thought they were so righteous they could or should imply what others do.

kontiki 01-31-2016 02:24 PM

I don't like government mandates. I want freedom to choose whatever I want to do and along with that assume full responsibility. That is the way it should be for everything.

Myself, I wear a helmet because I prefer not having wind, rocks and bugs smashing me in my face. But I have and always will fight for the freedom for people to choose otherwise.

Prot 01-31-2016 02:35 PM

I think 21 is an inappropriate age. It should be 18.

Brewmany 01-31-2016 02:46 PM

MN law says under age 18 or anyone on a learners permit must wear a helmet.
At 18 you're a legal adult, so if we must have such a law, I don't see a problem using 18 as the cutoff.
I guess it beats our previous law, which was mandatory helmets for everyone.

If not 18, then what is the magical number at which we have the wisdom to make such a decision?

I know several young adults who have more common sense and maturity at age 18 than some 50 year olds.

Roadghost 01-31-2016 02:59 PM

If you don't know by 21, you'll never know. Not anyone's business what choice they make.

wndchsr2 01-31-2016 03:29 PM

Have gotten some good riding in this past week, which is not that common for this time of the year. And was just tinkering around in the garage today.

This topic has been all over local talk radio this week and I was just curious what others thought about.

I stated my opinion and y'all stated yours.........fair enough.